Was Greg Hardy really that popular in American Football?

He was more known for domestic abuse.

lol running backs and wide receivers cover on average 1.5 miles per game of full speed sprinting

What, are you trying to imply that that’s impressive?

The average footballer covers 10.8km in a 90 minute match, and if you’re a winger or wing-back then that will be 75% sprinting, no breaks.

Wait, have you actually watched football before?

...I did hear of him.

But only because of the assault case.
Even not because of the case itself - I heard of him because the case was dismissed, despise his GF showing the traces of the beatdown she's got , and that she actually predicted in the beginning that he's going to get away with it.

Then nothing.

Until he was signed.

He's treated here like potential superstar . Is he?

I'm not familiar enough with NFL, but I know Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Troy Polamalu, Gronk, Aaron Rogers. I think that's it.
Is he on the same level of popularity?

Greg Hardy's stats don't really tell the story because his off-the-field issues greatly impacted his playing time. Suspensions, disciplinary actions, getting on coaches bad side, disruptive in meetings, etc.

But whenever he actually made it onto the field, he was a terror. You could feel his impact on the game, which is somewhat rare for defensive players.

What, are you trying to imply that that’s impressive?

The average footballer covers 10.8km in a 90 minute match, and if you’re a winger or wing-back then that will be 75% sprinting, no breaks.

Wait, have you actually watched football before?
ronaldo is not sprinting 100% for 75% of the match, the only time he sprints full out is on a scoring run which are few and far between. 10.8km coverage with 95% of that walking/jogging at best. Yes I watch soccer and played it for 10 years as a striker, playing soccer is easier than wrestling, cross country, even lacrosse in terms of endurance requirements based on my personal experience doing all of them.

It’s not hard to bust your load in game when you only do it like twice in the entire 3 hour match.
keep moving the goal post, soccer players like ronaldo spend over 75% of the match walking around or jogging and he literally sprints as many times as a running back or wide receiver who average 1.5 miles per game of SPRINTING FULL SPEED. nearly every skill position player in the NFL (running back, wide receivers, defensive backs) can hit 22 mph top speed which is 35.4 km/h.

silly debate. comparing futbol to American Football is like comparing bowling to billiards. just different skills.

NFL to rugby to Aussie Rules, now that's a legit comparison. and the fact is, NFL players train for short bursts of energy in a way that the others don't. and not just a little bit; they've professionalized the anaerobic training to an extreme point. but still, a #7 on a rugby team could be a linebacker, and vice versa. the difference is the years of training.

futbol players are great athletes and so are American Football players. and not only do they excel at different things, but they spent 20+ years training to enforce those different things. only a very few select athletes could excel at both. true Bo Jackson types.

your debate reminds me of the thousands of threads on Jon Jones and the bigger meaning of his (utter lack of) ball handling skills. the answer is, it doesn't mean shit. he sucks handling a basketball, and he found an athletic sport that he excels at. and i'm not sure which of you is trolling the other and which is the victim :) but if neither of you are neither and i'm just being a big shitty downer to what you feel is a fun legitimate debate, then feel free to ignore me. cheers.

silly debate. comparing futbol to American Football is like comparing bowling to billiards. just different skills.

NFL to rugby to Aussie Rules, now that's a legit comparison. and the fact is, NFL players train for short bursts of energy and the others don't. a #7 on a rugby team could be a linebacker, and vice versa. the difference is the years of training.

your debate reminds me of the thousands of threads on Jon Jones and the bigger meaning of his (utter lack of) ball handling skills. the answer is, it doesn't mean shit. he sucks handling a basketball, and he found an athletic sport that he excels at.

futbol players are great athletes and so are American Football players. and not only do they excel at different things, but they spent 20+ years training to enforce those different things.

only a very few select athletes could excel at both. true Bo Jackson types.

i'm not sure which of you is trolling the other and which is the victim :) but if neither of you are neither and i'm just being a big shitty downer to what you feel is a fun legitimate debate, then feel free to ignore me. cheers.

The difference is football is proven to have more guys that can jump higher and run faster than all other sports. you have to individually pull out GOAT players/times from soccer to be even in the conversation with the average annual combine speeds/measurements of college kids trying to make it to the NFL. As I already pointed out Ronaldo runs a 40 yard dash only .1 seconds faster than a random 6'7" 290 lb college kid who may not even make a team.

ronaldo is not sprinting 100% for 75% of the match, the only time he sprints full out is on a scoring run which are few and far between. 10.8km coverage with 95% of that walking/jogging at best. Yes I watch soccer and played it for 10 years as a striker, playing soccer is easier than wrestling, cross country, even lacrosse in terms of endurance requirements based on my personal experience doing all of them.

Why do you keep talking about Ronaldo, everyone knows that he has changed his game from explosive sprints on the wing to more conservative positioning and moving to centre forward.

How about players like Kyle Walker, Kieran Trippier, Dani Carvalhal and other players or actually play in the position I mentioned.

that must be one hell of a walking pace to cover 10.8km in 90 mins.

I’m not surprised that found American sporting pursuits harder than playing football in America, after all America is shit at football.

Dude holds the Carolina Panthers single season sack record, 15 sacks, which is a lot for any single player in one season. Dude was a beast.

Why do you keep talking about Ronaldo, everyone knows that he has changed his game from explosive sprints on the wing to more conservative positioning and moving to centre forward.

How about players like Kyle Walker, Kieran Trippier, Dani Carvalhal and other players or actually play in the position I mentioned.

that most be one hell of a walking pace to cover 10.8km in 90 mins.

I’m not surprised that found American sporting pursuits harder than playing football in America, after all America is shit at football.

America is shit at soccer because all of the elite athletes are playing football and basketball.

...I did hear of him.

But only because of the assault case.
Even not because of the case itself - I heard of him because the case was dismissed, despise his GF showing the traces of the beatdown she's got , and that she actually predicted in the beginning that he's going to get away with it.

Then nothing.

Until he was signed.

He's treated here like potential superstar . Is he?

I'm not familiar enough with NFL, but I know Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Troy Polamalu, Gronk, Aaron Rogers. I think that's it.

He was popular but the abuse scandal came a out right when he was building up his popularity so he wasnt able to get to the level of those guys, but dude was a beast they called him the kraken

So his career was cut short, but he was on his way up to be one of the most popular defensive players in the league, dude was wild

America is shit at soccer because all of the elite athletes are playing football and basketball.
Being tall and roided doesn’t really transfer over that well to the beautiful game.

Hope you enjoy the World Cup.

Here's the thing about popularity in the NFL. Of the 5 players you mentioned, 4 played offense, and 3 of those were quarterbacks. You could count on one hand the number of defenders that are talked about nationally, and most of those are guys with crazy hair like Polamalu. Was Hardy talked about locally? Absolutely. But nationally, only for the off the field stuff.

The difference is football is proven to have more guys that can jump higher and run faster than all other sports.
so what? what if you found out that freestyle wrestlers could jump both higher and longer than GR wrestlers? would that make them "better athletes"? or would that mean that some of the skills associated with jumping and some of the skills associated with freestyle align more closely than jumping and GR?

pool players probably have better agility on their toes than bowlers.

Being tall and roided doesn’t really transfer over that well to the beautiful game.

Hope you enjoy the World Cup.

Skill position players are not bulky, and being tall does transfer well, it's just that other countries don't have tall people with athleticism

so what? what if you found out that freestyle wrestlers could jump both higher and longer than GR wrestlers? would that make them "better athletes"? or would that mean that some of the skills associated with jumping and some of the skills associated with freestyle align more closely than jumping and GR?

pool players probably have better agility on their toes than bowlers.

Running and jumping is like the basic level of athleticism and required in both soccer and football

He played for America's team aka the Dallas Cowboys. A moniker that can't be taken away...sorry haters.
He only played 1 out of his 6 career seasons with the cowboys and even then it was only a partial season that he played. By the time his suspension for that season was up the cowboys where done for the season and all there prime time games had been flexed away. He was barely a cowgirl if anything

Back