Was I wrong or out of line here? Story time

Te Huna Matata

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Had an interesting situation play out last week and looking for feedback.

I was away in Columbus, OH on business. I was there with 2 executives from our company. My boss rode with me and our SVP of Sales drove separately. We had dinner and they wanted to watch the hockey game. They kept ordering beers and I kept drinking. I'd say we each had about 6. Afterward, we went back to the hotel. It was about 11 at this point.

After we got back to the hotel, I went to my car to grab something. As I was walking back to the hotel, someone called out to me. I turned around to see a young black man walking toward me. He was around my age and size. Late 20s, 6'2", 210-220 with a pretty muscular/fit build. He said he ran out of gas on the freeway and was wondering if I knew where there was a gas station. I said I wasn't from the area but I'd let him in the hotel to ask (we were at the side entrance). He was reluctant and we went back and forth for a bit. Finally, I said fuck it, I'll help you out.

Here is the part that makes me question my actions. I asked him to stop, lift up his shirt, and turn around to see if he was carrying. He was not. Then I told him to wait there for a second as I got in my car, opened up my glove compartment, pulled out my Kimber 9mm, showed it to him, informed him it was loaded (one in the chamber, full clip, hammer down, safety on), that I was happy to help out but don't do anything stupid. I kept it in my pocket until I got back into my room later. We got in the car bullshitting as I found him a gas station. He got a gas can and filled it, I bought some Nugget Nectar for the room, and we went back. He was an amateur boxer in the area and a pretty decent guy. Talked a little about MMA as well. Shook my hand and we went our separate ways.

So was I wrong to inspect this guy before offering to help out? Was I out of line to show him my gun preemptively in case he had ideas? It was definitely a risky thing to do all around but I didn't want to turn away from someone in need. But at the same time, I feel like I assumed the worst in him as he was walking up to me.

is this a real thread
or a troll thread
or a race bait thread
or a bragging thread

Sounds a bit nutty on first read...but..11 at night..random young dude approaches you asking for help...i get it.
You have my half black guy approval

You don't know him. I think you feel bad because the guy was black & you think it might make you prejudiced.

You were wrong for driving after drinking. As for showing the guy your gun, that seems prudent with someone you don't know in an area you don't know. People have been robbed in such situations.

The fuck is Nugget Nectar? Did you suck the dude off and get his “nectar” out?

Also, the fuck you doing drinking and driving?

Drinking and driving with a loaded gun and a stranger in the car. Which part are you concerned about again?

Had an interesting situation play out last week and looking for feedback.

I was away in Columbus, OH on business. I was there with 2 executives from our company. My boss rode with me and our SVP of Sales drove separately. We had dinner and they wanted to watch the hockey game. They kept ordering beers and I kept drinking. I'd say we each had about 6. Afterward, we went back to the hotel. It was about 11 at this point.

After we got back to the hotel, I went to my car to grab something. As I was walking back to the hotel, someone called out to me. I turned around to see a young black man walking toward me. He was around my age and size. Late 20s, 6'2", 210-220 with a pretty muscular/fit build. He said he ran out of gas on the freeway and was wondering if I knew where there was a gas station. I said I wasn't from the area but I'd let him in the hotel to ask (we were at the side entrance). He was reluctant and we went back and forth for a bit. Finally, I said fuck it, I'll help you out.

Here is the part that makes me question my actions. I asked him to stop, lift up his shirt, and turn around to see if he was carrying. He was not. Then I told him to wait there for a second as I got in my car, opened up my glove compartment, pulled out my Kimber 9mm, showed it to him, informed him it was loaded (one in the chamber, full clip, hammer down, safety on), that I was happy to help out but don't do anything stupid. I kept it in my pocket until I got back into my room later. We got in the car bullshitting as I found him a gas station. He got a gas can and filled it, I bought some Nugget Nectar for the room, and we went back. He was an amateur boxer in the area and a pretty decent guy. Talked a little about MMA as well. Shook my hand and we went our separate ways.

So was I wrong to inspect this guy before offering to help out? Was I out of line to show him my gun preemptively in case he had ideas? It was definitely a risky thing to do all around but I didn't want to turn away from someone in need. But at the same time, I feel like I assumed the worst in him as he was walking up to me.

Nah, I've basically done the same thing. Driving home pretty late at night and dude asked if he could get a ride up to the nearest gas station. I hesitated but eventually had him show me he wasn't armed and drove him up there. When I got to the gas station, he tried to get me to drive the other way into the projects and I was just like "nah man, you can walk from here". He seemed annoyed about it but I wasn't going to get set up like that.

is this a real thread
or a troll thread
or a race bait thread
or a bragging thread

Yes
No
Possibly but not intentional. My main goal was the discussion of preconceived notions about others.
No

You don't know him. I think you feel bad because the guy was black & you think it might make you prejudiced.
Would you have showed a white guy you were carrying?

These are the questions I've asked myself since. I do think I would have. But I can't say for sure.

The fuck is Nugget Nectar? Did you suck the dude off and get his “nectar” out?

Also, the fuck you doing drinking and driving?
Drinking and driving with a loaded gun and a stranger in the car. Which part are you concerned about again?

I'm 245lbs and had 6 beers over a span of about 3 hours. We went there for dinner and left at 1030. We got to the place at about 8 or so.

None of this ever happened.

Lol @ you asking him to pull up his shirt to check him for weapons and lol @ you keeping your gun in the glove box....that expensive kimber leave you too poor to buy a holster and take a CC course???

And lol @ buying a kimber in 9mm, their 9mm pistols are shit, 45acp all the way with them.

I'm surprised he got in the car with you. I wouldn't have, under those circumstances. No offence.

Sounds like you either did the right thing or got raped.

I'm surprised he got in the car with you. I wouldn't have, under those circumstances. No offence.
So much this, lol. No way I'm getting in that car.

Understandable by OP though, regardless of race.

Back