was john ruiz the worst heavyweight champion in recent memory?

Worst was Lesnar.

This is the boxing forum troll

John Ruiz isnt bad, to say he is the worst you dont know shyt about boxing. Ruiz beat Holyfield back in 2001, beat Rahman when he was good, had a close fight against Chugaev, if you think he sucks you dont follow boxing

James Toney's title latley is more of a joke, he calls himself the NABO Champ when REALLY Adamek has that title, Toney didnt have that for 2 years now

IMO, Toney's title wins and defences at heavyweight recently make him the worst...he is an all time great from Middleweight though

This is the boxing forum troll

John Ruiz isnt bad, to say he is the worst you dont know shyt about boxing. Ruiz beat Holyfield back in 2001, beat Rahman when he was good, had a close fight against Chugaev, if you think he sucks you dont follow boxing

James Toney's title latley is more of a joke, he calls himself the NABO Champ when REALLY Adamek has that title, Toney didnt have that for 2 years now

IMO, Toney's title wins and defences at heavyweight recently make him the worst...he is an all time great from Middleweight though

read the title again ..ok ?

i was talking about guys who held " word titles " in the heavyweight division , toney was a never a world champion at heavyweight

and i never said ruiz sucks , i just asked if he's the worst of all the recent champions , because chagaev , valuev , maskaev, briggs etc..are Better than him IMO

read the title again ..ok ?

i was talking about guys who held " word titles " in the heavyweight division , toney was a never a world champion at heavyweight

and i never said ruiz sucks , i just asked if he's the worst of all the recent champions , because chagaev , valuev , maskaev, briggs etc..are Better than him IMO

Briggs? tell G Dog some wins that are more credible than wins over Holyfield and Rahman

chagaev was worse, valuev makes a strong case as well.

don't include the wbogus champs

I always think Ruiz gets a bad roll of the dice because his style was so painful to watch. If you look at his results without the baggage that his performances brought then I think he's actually fairly solid. Between about 2000 and 2004 he was actually one of the best fighters in the world... going 1-1-1 with a Holyfield who still had something left, Kirk Johnson before he really got found out, Rahman when he was more than a punching bag, Golota who was one a decent run and the solid Fres Oquendo with only the loss to RJJ really sticking out.

For poor recent champs... Maskaev has to be up there, regardless of how much I respect his story. Briggs was poor, Chagaev wasn't great, nor was Valuev. Ibragimov was pretty terrible as was Liakhovich (who promised so much).

guys like ruiz are the reason I don't watch any heavyweight boxing anymore, I could care less. Ruiz is the only fighter who I actually felt a palpable frustration as a viewer trying to watch a fight and him trying to not fight. He had some talent, you can't get as far as him without some, moreover, he had great luck, seems like things always worked out for his benefit when things got tight. the article, don't know how accurate, the man got brutally kayoed, no one probably had to teach him to be scared and clinch after that, he just didn't want to be hit, well guess what? He was in the wrong business. Not only was he a nuisance but his cornermen were also some of the most annoying I've ever seen. Anyway, none of these heavyweights do it for me today, none and I'm insulted as a longtime fan when people mention their names in the same breath as the greats.

guys like ruiz are the reason I don't watch any heavyweight boxing anymore, I could care less. Ruiz is the only fighter who I actually felt a palpable frustration as a viewer trying to watch a fight and him trying to not fight. He had some talent, you can't get as far as him without some, moreover, he had great luck, seems like things always worked out for his benefit when things got tight. the article, don't know how accurate, the man got brutally kayoed, no one probably had to teach him to be scared and clinch after that, he just didn't want to be hit, well guess what? He was in the wrong business. Not only was he a nuisance but his cornermen were also some of the most annoying I've ever seen. Anyway, none of these heavyweights do it for me today, none and I'm insulted as a longtime fan when people mention their names in the same breath as the greats.

Normy Stone's brilliant!

yeah i remember the fucker, reminds me that a person who has an idiot in charge acts like an idiot too. Ruiz' attitude comes from the people around him. I'd get pissed just reading his interviews, they were just like his fights, where he was picking because he was losing, I remember he laughed when Jones got kayoed and said it's a curse for anyone who fights him.

I was never a fan of John Ruiz, but he was a tough SOB who has never gotten the respect he deserved. The man fought and beat some excellent fighters, like Holyfield, Tucker, Oquendo, Golata, Rahman, McCline, and Kirk Johnson. Not to mention that many people (me included) think he was robbed in his fights with Valuev. You look at his record, and the man stepped into the ring with some of the finest fighters of his era.

Obviously, he was not as talented as the upper echelon of the division, such as Lewis or Klitschko.. or even Tua for that matter, but the man did more with less. You watch Ruiz fight, and there was nothing pretty about it, which is one of the reasons that so many fighters simply did not want to face him. He was not exactly promotable, his style was awkward, and sucked you down to his level and made even the most talented look ugly (sans RJJ). But I for one think people need to see this guy as a ham and egger who gutted it out and won 2 WBA World Heavyweight titles (and it should have been 3, if not for being robbed by the judges in Berlin).

I may not be a fan of his style, but I am a fan of Ruiz's heart and determination. There are a number of fighters who could learn a thing or two from what Ruiz brings to the ring.

seldon was the most pathetic example, HE was afraid to get hit. most shameful display by a champion ever.

Back