was john ruiz the worst heavyweight champion in recent memory?

The author of that artilce really doesn't like Ruiz.

The writer stated that if Thunder didn't get deducted a point for a low blow against Ruiz, it would have been a draw. But, the cards read 115-112 | 116-111 | 112-115

Those numbers don't add up to a draw without the deduction.

Plus, If I remember the fight correctly, it was not as close as the cards suggested.

Ruiz may have lost a fight to Tua in 19 seconds, but after his fight with Thunder, he beat a guy who was 24-3 in 23 seconds.

After that fight, he beat Jerry Ballard, who I think was at the time one of Ring's prospect of the month.

The guy wasn't that bad.

Ruiz adopted the "jab-n-grab" after Tua put him in a neck brace.

Valuev is probs the worst imo hes just a freak of nature not a boxer

Briggs? tell G Dog some wins that are more credible than wins over Holyfield and Rahman

You seriously think beating a washed up Holyfield is an accomplishment? Did you even see the fight? Ruiz is, and always will be a joke. Watch his fight with Tua for a good laugh.

I recall watching one of his fights, and they started to track Ruiz's clinches, and he had more clinches than punches thrown...

Not to mention this guy got way to many title shots... worst ever, probably not, but definitely in the bottom 10...

HW champions have partially gotten worse because of semantics. At some point the WBO championship became one of the four titles that mattered, adding to the WBA, WBC and IBF. Evander Holyfield didn't need to capture the WBO championship in order to unify the titles, nor did Mike Tyson. But for some reason the Klitshko brothers do. If you include WBO champions in the mix then I think guys like Francisco Damiani, Michael Bentt, Herbie Hide, Henry Akinwande and Sergie Lyakovich definitely didn't accomplish what Ruiz did in his professional career. If WBO guys are excluded I thnk he still ranks above Frank Bruno, Bruce Seldon, Samuel Peter and Sultan Ibragimov. And he's at about the same level as Chagaev, Valuev, Moorer, Briggs, Sanders and Rahman IMO.

HW champions have partially gotten worse because of semantics. At some point the WBO championship became one of the four titles that mattered, adding to the WBA, WBC and IBF. Evander Holyfield didn't need to capture the WBO championship in order to unify the titles, nor did Mike Tyson. But for some reason the Klitshko brothers do. If you include WBO champions in the mix then I think guys like Francisco Damiani, Michael Bentt, Herbie Hide, Henry Akinwande and Sergie Lyakovich definitely didn't accomplish what Ruiz did in his professional career. If WBO guys are excluded I thnk he still ranks above Frank Bruno, Bruce Seldon, Samuel Peter and Sultan Ibragimov. And he's at about the same level as Chagaev, Valuev, Moorer, Briggs, Sanders and Rahman IMO.

you make an excellant point. when the hell did the wbogus gain fourth title distinction? it didn't hold that status at one time, then it 'gained' it. what do you do with those previous champions? michael bentt? Damiani?

I believe that no one who wins a title fight is a complete disgrace, but some of them are decidely lesser fighters than others.

Valuev, Ibragimov and Chagaev were all bad. Valuev and Chagaev always got the hometown decisions, particularly Chagaev since he was with Universium.

John Ruiz was never a heavyweight champion regardless of what the WBA would have you believe.

you make an excellant point. when the hell did the wbogus gain fourth title distinction? it didn't hold that status at one time, then it 'gained' it. what do you do with those previous champions? michael bentt? Damiani?

I believe that no one who wins a title fight is a complete disgrace, but some of them are decidely lesser fighters than others.

As a HW world title probably around 1999-2000 when Vitali/Bryd/Wlad were all holding it.

This is the boxing forum troll

John Ruiz isnt bad, to say he is the worst you dont know shyt about boxing. Ruiz beat Holyfield back in 2001, beat Rahman when he was good, had a close fight against Chugaev, if you think he sucks you dont follow boxing

James Toney's title latley is more of a joke, he calls himself the NABO Champ when REALLY Adamek has that title, Toney didnt have that for 2 years now

IMO, Toney's title wins and defences at heavyweight recently make him the worst...he is an all time great from Middleweight though

Ruiz is a human glue stick, if the ref broke them up on a regular basis, as the ref did in the Jones fight, he would have lost all of those. He pick that style after Tua

As a HW world title probably around 1999-2000 when Vitali/Bryd/Wlad were all holding it.

yeah, but then they retrospectively started calling the previous holders world champions as well.

in my mind the wbo is a step above the european title, a step below the original big three but then again what does it really matter?

fighters can only be judged in this day and age like the old days, who they've beaten and how they won.

yeah, but then they retrospectively started calling the previous holders world champions as well.

in my mind the wbo is a step above the european title, a step below the original big three but then again what does it really matter?

fighters can only be judged in this day and age like the old days, who they've beaten and how they won.

Exactly. Rating boxers by what belt they hold as opposed to who they beat to get (and keep) it is pointless.

Back