Was Luger the worst wrestler to get consistent push?

Who the fuc are you? Justify Your Existence in this thread. Either educate yourself or shut your bitch ass mouth.

I'm Legs Luger

1e6b8edde803efcb9b15c70d228b312d--bodybuilding-motivation-bodybuilding-fitness.jpg

See? You would probably even be a Luger fan. You should wear a red cap and look up on YouTube Luger body-slammed Yokozuna on the 4th of July.

tumblr_inline_mriykfmQJZ1qz4rgp.gif

Edit: Okay, seriously tho. There's no way you can watch this and keep a straight face llmao

Wtf

I swear, if an UFO came to visit me and a green bean inside asked me what was going on in these videos, I'm just going to drool and act spastic

Last edited:
Wasn't the feeling backstage when he left wwe that he was a pain in the ass and let wcw deal with him from almost everyone bar Vince? Bischoff couldn't stand him either.
That may have been spin from the Monday Night Wars, most people generally got along with Luger. Bret Hart in his book extensively praises him (hilariously going so far to say he was steroid free) and credits him with the Rumble 94 ending working (Lex says the opposite and that Bret is modest). No one really thought he was leaving especially as Vince had offered him a very comfy deal and he worked the day before Nitro's premiere.

Eric didn't like him but that was probably due to Easy E joining WCW as Luger's career and life spiraled out of control due to poor management. He was arrogant and sullen (and coked) and probably not very considerate to even his best of friends at that point. Bischoff found 1995 Lex in a very different place and was quickly swayed to his side.

Sting and Luger are both in that league, but so was Chono. After Chono broke his neck he couldn't wrestle 1/100th of what he was capable of before. Chono just had unreal charisma.

Should say Luger was worst actor, not wrestler. Ain't no wrasslin going on there.
Wrestling is a performance art unique in that the characters in the show exist outside of a deterministic narrative. In say, Jurassic Park, the Samuel Jackson character had no chance of being the star, whereas in real life he played Jules in Pulp Fiction the next year. In wrestling he would have to strive to take down Sam Neill and Jeff Goldblum in order to get a sizeable role in the same context.

Also consider this: in plays new actors play the same characters who hold the same position replaying the same story. In wrestling new actors play new character in a continuing and endless story forever changing with the addition of new characters.

Thus we don't gauge wrestlers by a unique performance or their adequacy for a part in comparison to others but by intrinsic skills in the world of wrestling. One would never describe Mel Gibson's Hamlet in contrast with Leonardo Dicraprio's by talking about Braveheart and the Wolf of Wall Street in the way wrestling fans could and do.

Wrestling is a performance art unique in that the characters in the show exist outside of a deterministic narrative. In say, Jurassic Park, the Samuel Jackson character had no chance of being the star, whereas in real life he played Jules in Pulp Fiction the next year. In wrestling he would have to strive to take down Sam Neill and Jeff Goldblum in order to get a sizeable role in the same context.

Also consider this: in plays new actors play the same characters who hold the same position replaying the same story. In wrestling new actors play new character in a continuing and endless story forever changing with the addition of new characters.

Thus we don't gauge wrestlers by a unique performance or their adequacy for a part in comparison to others but by intrinsic skills in the world of wrestling. One would never describe Mel Gibson's Hamlet in contrast with Leonardo Dicraprio's by talking about Braveheart and the Wolf of Wall Street in the way wrestling fans could and do.

dhMeAzK.gif

You swayed my opinion, you're the mang

I think the torture rack was part of the problem. It was cool to see him rag doll jobbers with it, but it never really looked right against bigger guys and it wasn't any good for a finisher in big matches because of how weak it made the opponent look. If he had ditched it when he transferred to wwf and done a big slam finisher, or even just set up the forearm better, he might have been able to get the crowd behind a title run.
The torture rack should have lead into a spinning neck breaker

Funny, after I started this thread I ended up watching some Luger shoot interviews and matches etc, since I was on the subject anyway..

I did come to find him pretty interesting to listen to in interviews anyway. More intelligent guy than I realized for sure. Seems pretty cool actually.

Luger was basically pretty good at everything but not great at anything. He had a really good physique but not mind-blowing like some guys, he was a decent talker but couldn't rock your world like Hogan, Flair or the Ultimate Warrior. His gimmick was nice but not legendary, had good charisma but not overwhelming, and with the right people he could have pretty good matches.

At any given time, you could just put the belt on him as your lead face or heel and it would be an okay situation.

He survived solely off his look and his body.

He had no charisma, no mic skills, and was a boring worker.

Same goes for Sid. Who was an even worse in ring worker.
Sid had insane charisma and was a great talker, on top of being 6'8", athletic, muscular, and looking like a movie star.

His problems were that he couldn't work at all and he only wanted to play his Psycho heel character. Even when fans were desperate to cheer for him.

Sid had insane charisma and was a great talker, on top of being 6'8", athletic, muscular, and looking like a movie star.

His problems were that he couldn't work at all and he only wanted to play his Psycho heel character. Even when fans were desperate to cheer for him.

Sid was one note. Sure he was better on the mic than Luger but nothing special. His character never really grew throughout the years.

Luger was basically pretty good at everything but not great at anything. He had a really good physique but not mind-blowing like some guys, he was a decent talker but couldn't rock your world like Hogan, Flair or the Ultimate Warrior. His gimmick was nice but not legendary, had good charisma but not overwhelming, and with the right people he could have pretty good matches.

At any given time, you could just put the belt on him as your lead face or heel and it would be an okay situation.

I agree. Compared to the chumps today , Luger would still stand out as a star. And he was super over in the late 90s in WCW. Hilarious clip. Look how over the torture rack was, when he was calling for it.

Well, he did have the biggest count out win ever.

I agree. Compared to the chumps today , Luger would still stand out as a star. And he was super over in the late 90s in WCW. Hilarious clip. Look how over the torture rack was, when he was calling for it.

This comment and your username go together well. Nothing better than a big man crushing Mysterio.

I don't get it. I can't find much evidence that he was ever REALLY over as either a face or heel, but they guy remained a middle-upper carder his whole career basically.

What gives?
Being a mid carder isn't saying much. Its generally agreed upon by wrestlers that opening and closing the PPV are the two most important matches, as one sets the tone for the night and the other caps it off.

He was a top card guy a few times here and there. But not with any consistency. In WWF, he was a mid carder as the narcissist and got the push as the real american hero for a year, but he flubbed it and began spinning his wheels.

In WCW, his push was predicated by the fact that he got pushed in WWF and was able to come over between contracts. Bischoff was in love with former WWF stars and wanted to push them. But he was not much in the top of WCW cards except a spot here and there.

I think the torture rack was part of the problem. It was cool to see him rag doll jobbers with it, but it never really looked right against bigger guys and it wasn't any good for a finisher in big matches because of how weak it made the opponent look. If he had ditched it when he transferred to wwf and done a big slam finisher, or even just set up the forearm better, he might have been able to get the crowd behind a title run.

I loved the rack. not sure why nobody uses it anymore. I used to make my buddies tap to it all the time in the ol' living room wrestling league. It legit hurts.

Anybody know wtf Macho started wearing pants?

Back