Was Luger the worst wrestler to get consistent push?

Generic heel with a name meant to be a play on Superman villain (Lex Luther) and with German undertones (Luger). My dad took me to a wrestling match to prove to me it was fake when I was young. Lex Luger politely asked if he could cut in front of us in line at the concession stand so he could grab a snack and apologized as he was in the next match.
Dude just wanted a Snickers bar before going out there.
So did you let him cut or not?

freakshow14.gif

He is more than a man. He is the hero we need.

i used to love his intro music, and the torture rack was cool

Lance Storm said that it was hard to find a bad Luger match.

I don't get it. I can't find much evidence that he was ever REALLY over as either a face or heel, but they guy remained a middle-upper carder his whole career basically.

What gives?

No. I think he was really over when he was doing the Lex express shtick against Yokozuna. The only reason he didn't get the strap was because Vince thought he could drag it out to WrestleMania.

I think Diesel and Roman Reigns are closer examples to what you are describing, only much more extreme. Neither of those ever got as hot as Lex did during his Lex Express run, though I'm not defending Luger by any means. Luger was never a superstar on the level of Sting, Ric Flair, Austin, or the Rock, and was never even close to it.

Goldberg?

What are you talking about? Goldberg was over as FUCK when he came onto the scene. I'm hard-pressed to think of a wrestler who got so white hot so quick compared to Goldberg.

What a rookie comment.

What are you talking about? Goldberg was over as FUCK when he came onto the scene. I'm hard-pressed to think of a wrestler who got so white hot so quick compared to Goldberg.

What a rookie comment.

I was referring to his lack of talent and still getting over. There’s a reason he had short matches dude. That’s the topic we’re discussing.

I was referring to his lack of talent and still getting over. There’s a reason he had short matches dude. That’s the topic we’re discussing.

No, it isn't. Maybe you need a refresher.

I don't get it. I can't find much evidence that he was ever REALLY over as either a face or heel, but they guy remained a middle-upper carder his whole career basically.

What gives?

Maybe try reading the actual post you are responding to, sometime. The topic wasn't Luger getting pushed despite the fact that his in-ring skills sucked. The topic was Luger getting pushed for so long despite not being over with the fans.

If we were only talking about wrestlers with no in-ring ability getting pushed hard, then you'd have guys like Hogan being discussed in this thread. But we weren't.

Bringing up Goldberg was a terrible example, as Goldberg was over with the fans before WCW really even had a chance to push him. Goldberg's rise was one of those rare cases of wrestlers getting over all by themselves. Unless you want to sit there and argue that WCW was somehow responsible for him getting over, despite their almost complete inability to create their own stars.

Back