Was the LOSS to BARRERA too much for PRINCE NAS?

GolovkinGOAT

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Was only 27 years old... Barrera didn't even go to WAR with Nas and his power was able to flick Nas' body all around making him unbalanced and uncoordinated. Eubank Sr. also put Nas in his place saying that his whole ACT was really inspired from him. Jumping in the ring, flashy, etc....

Guys like Khan, Brook... these guys kept going when the going to tough, rough, WAR... Hamed claims that it was a hand injury... plenty of British boxers have had injuries...

Was Nas content with his fortune and was afraid of another loss? Never unified against a WBA or IBF Featherweight Champ

It's hard for me to buy that Nas quit just because barrera beat him. Yes barrera certainly outboxed him but it's not like he received a vicious career ending beating or anything.

Eh. Weren’t the scores kinda close?

I think the long trainings camps/hand problems are what ultimately made him retire

I think the Barrera beating was just the straw that broke the camels back. He'd said in interviews around that time that if he had kids he wouldn't want them to become boxers because it was too hard a life. I think he had lost his motivation somewhat and splitting up from long term trainer Brendan Ingle didn't help. Brendan was like a father figure to Nas and they were very close. It hit Nas hard when they fell out. Nas's style was unique and I don't think other trainers could work out what to do with him.

Plus as Emmanuel Steward said while training him Nas wasn't taking it very seriously and would decide whether to train or not based on a whim. At this stage of his career I don't think he had the discipline to compete at the world level. Bucket loads of talent but when his style got figured out like Barrera did then he came unstuck. I think physically he had the ability to beat Barrera but I don't know if he'd had been able to come up with a successful strategy to beat him using his unique style.

So yes I do think that the Barrera was too much for him but you have to take into account where Nas was in regard for his love of the sport. It just wasn't there.

Last edited:
Nas was a guy who got clowned badly after spending a career clowning others. It destroyed him.

Two 115-112
And one 116-111

Not a massive blowout

But of course barrera clearly won
116/112 and 117/111 without the point deduction. Pretty clear loss. I don't think too many disagree with those scores.

Nas and Tito both spoiled punks who couldn't deal with adversity.

The formula was exposed: Make Nas take the lead and NEVER let him counter puch.

Still one of my favorite fights to re-watch. Left hooks all day.

Nas came into the ring spouting Islamic prayers before getting schooled in the fight. That was shortly before 9/11.
It kinda made him forget about the US I think.

Mor
Nas came into the ring spouting Islamic prayers before getting schooled in the fight. That was shortly before 9/11.
It kinda made him forget about the US I think.
I didnt think about that

That should make Barrera an all American hero for defeating one of the Islamic force’s greatest fighters

Part of the problem for Nas was that he just couldn't cope with the loss, he thought he would walk through Barrera.
If there was ever a fighter that needed bring down a peg or two it was Nas.

It was a real shame that nothing ever came after this fight (I know he fought again but it was a meh fight, nobody cared) one loss shouldn’t define a career but sadly it did for Prince. He was very exciting and even casual boxing fans in the UK got excited when Prince Nadeem fought, which is very rare.

I stayed up until the early hours watching the Kevin Kelley fight with my father as a young boy for the first ever time I was allowed to stay up until like 2am to watch a fight and never have I felt such anguish at him getting dropped to elation when he won.... but alas that was probably the highlight of an eventful Career

Hamed, Morales and MAB are the guys that got me over the myth that smaller fighters weren't interesting to watch.

Back