Was the LOSS to BARRERA too much for PRINCE NAS?

crazy the dichotomy how americans/british see the guy, i was never sold on him and was convinced he'd lose the first time he fought a solid fighter, not to say none of the guys he fought weren't but none of them were of barerra quality. as far as his career, who knows, fighters at a lighter weight typically age faster but this isn't a case of just aging, it's a case of just quitting. Ingle had said he was only good for a few more fights before this, what he saw i don't know. nas has said his hands went bad but lots of fighters continue with bad hands, did the loss break his heart? that happens too so that's a possibility but nas showed plenty of heart in some of his fights. or., maybe it was just the money, big money probably ruins more fighters than anything, that and already having your ego sated, some fighters can't stay hungry for long after the ego get it's fill.

crazy the dichotomy how americans/british see the guy, i was never sold on him and was convinced he'd lose the first time he fought a solid fighter, not to say none of the guys he fought weren't but none of them were of barerra quality. as far as his career, who knows, fighters at a lighter weight typically age faster but this isn't a case of just aging, it's a case of just quitting. Ingle had said he was only good for a few more fights before this, what he saw i don't know. nas has said his hands went bad but lots of fighters continue with bad hands, did the loss break his heart? that happens too so that's a possibility but nas showed plenty of heart in some of his fights. or., maybe it was just the money, big money probably ruins more fighters than anything, that and already having your ego sated, some fighters can't stay hungry for long after the ego get it's fill.
Nas didn't love boxing. He said that if he had kids he wouldn't have them boxing because it was too hard. That's not something a highly motivated fighter says. His heart just wasn't in it.

elanimalsantana said:
The formula was exposed: Make Nas take the lead and NEVER let him counter puch.
Nas led plenty of times during his career. He had a decent backhand jab and he'd lead with corkscrew uppercuts.
He may have sometimes but they key was the second part of the equasion: NEVER let him counterpunch, that's how he had his most success. Look at the Kevin Kelly fight (and others) they got crazy thinking they had him but left themselves wide open to his counter which sealed their doom.

elanimalsantana said:
The formula was exposed: Make Nas take the lead and NEVER let him counter puch.

He may have sometimes but they key was the second part of the equasion: NEVER let him counterpunch, that's how he had his most success. Look at the Kevin Kelly fight (and others) they got crazy thinking they had him but left themselves wide open to his counter which sealed their doom.
Barrera beat Nas by counterpunching him so well. He didn't just follow up with a short combination or just a single shot but multiple long lasting combos where he pressed forward so that Nas's sway back defense ran out of room and Marco could get right on top of him. So yeah in that respect you are right, Nas was never given the opportunity to counterpunch because Barrera had got right up on top of him shutting down any chance of a successful Nas counter.

Not really. From a neutral standpoint I know that Naz had the worst preparation for the toughest fight of his career. I dont have this black and white view of it with Barrera being a way better fighter. They just got Naz at a good time for them and shitty time for him

Nas didn't love boxing. He said that if he had kids he wouldn't have them boxing because it was too hard. That's not something a highly motivated fighter says. His heart just wasn't in it.
lots of fighters have said that, ali said it, he meant it but he loved the sport. Of course who doesn't get tired of getting socked in the head and sweating. even fun things aren't fun if you do them all the time and some boxing activities are far from fun.

lots of fighters have said that, ali said it, he meant it but he loved the sport. Of course who doesn't get tired of getting socked in the head and sweating. even fun things aren't fun if you do them all the time and some boxing activities are far from fun.
True but Nas's behaviour at the time backed up his words. He was barely training for the Barrera fight, more interested in playing video games with his mates.

True but Nas's behaviour at the time backed up his words. He was barely training for the Barrera fight, more interested in playing video games with his mates.

No it was actually Mexican meat that destroyed Prince Nas in the ring. Barrera didn't even train either. Emanuel Steward said ''I don't take boxing seriously, the times scheduled for sparring and working out....I just let Nas play video games because Barrera wasn't elite!''

No it was actually Mexican meat that destroyed Prince Nas in the ring. Barrera didn't even train either. Emanuel Steward said ''I don't take boxing seriously, the times scheduled for sparring and working out....I just let Nas play video games because Barrera wasn't elite!''
Keep trolling.....

Back