Was the wmma title fight more technical than the male one?

People dont understand how skilled Max is at striking. He purpousley stands in the fire because of his skill and ability to take shots. Guess what? It works.

Its definitley calculated risk on his part and not slop.

You can still have high output and absorb a lot of hits and be technical about it. Holloway was slipping and noving well, hardly any single shots, all combinations, and absorbing/blocking shots well. TDD was on point too.

Ortega, you can argue as having many holes defensively.

People dont understand how skilled Max is at striking. He purpousley stands in the fire because of his skill and ability to take shots. Guess what? It works.

Its definitley calculated risk on his part and not slop.
He also has underrated head movement and ability to roll with shots - and is a master of using the 1-2 as well as hitting angles (at least in an mma sense).

If you watched Max's timing and slipping and think he was just "brawling" you really don't know what you're talking about

More technical, yes. Much more boring, also yes. The problem with WMMA is the girls too often don't look like they can hurt one another. Shev/Joanna was 5 rounds of wash and repeat. Even with Holloway beating Ortega's head in, it wasn't till the 4th round that you finally realized Ortega had no chance to do something.

Yeah by a pretty significant margin as well.

Insecure men will say otherwise but to the educated unbiased eye Shevchenko and Joanna showed a much more technical and versatile striking game and put on an absolute masterful performance.

Max was incredible as well but as usual he takes a lot of damage and relies on his chin and cardio more so than his skill (defensive wise at least). Both were phenomenal fights.
Lmao whiteknight Max’s movement, combinations and use of angles were on a different level than any wmma fighter ever.

Just because shev played it safe and took a 10 second break between each shot to win on points doesn’t mean she’s more skilled.

I felt they were both equally technical in their own ways.

Valentiva vs JJ was very muay thai technical in that everything was automated. When one threw, if the opponent saw it, they automatically countered. Stuff like check/parry leg kicks straight into a leg kick on to the same leg. Beautiful to watch.

Max vs Ortega I felt the footwork was better, especially in the third when Ortega seemed to find a second wind and was match Max with pivots. It was great fun. It wasn't Lomachenko but fun to watch nonetheless. Max picking his shots and stringing his combos together

It's harder to do what Max and Ortega did so no.

Yes ortega/hollaway was far more exciting. But in terms of defense, stragety and control...they made the guys look like 2 brawlers

They were both very technical affairs, but Ortega/Holloway was a technical one sided beating, whereas Joanna/Shevchenko was more evenly contested.

Technical =/= lack of aggression though, make no mistake about it Holloway was putting on a master class

both fights were technical and amazing to watch
still though i think max vs ortega was a lot more competitive (in that ortega was actually landing shots and dealt some damage) and therefore it was more fun to watch than shevchenko vs JJ

It's easy to look "muh technical bro" when the fight is at snail's pace and every strike is thrown with power akin to that of a 12 year old boy.

Just like the complete jokes that argue "women's soccer is on par with men technically" - it's easy to look gracious and good when the pace of passes, runs and general flow is 10% that of the men's game.

They were both very technical affairs, but Ortega/Holloway was a technical one sided beating, whereas Joanna/Shevchenko was more evenly contested.

Technical =/= lack of aggression though, make no mistake about it Holloway was putting on a master class
really? wow i didnt see joanna/shevchenko as evenly contested
the one hard hit that joanna landed on shev was that head kick. that's all i can remember, shev outclassed JJ in every way

ortega vs max was definitely also one-sided but ortega was still throwing bombs and some of them landed, he even rocked max during the 3rd

really? wow i didnt see joanna/shevchenko as evenly contested
the one hard hit that joanna landed on shev was that head kick. that's all i can remember, shev outclassed JJ in every way

ortega vs max was definitely also one-sided but ortega was still throwing bombs and some of them landed, he even rocked max during the 3rd

More evenly contested. I gave Shev every round, but Joanna wasn't ineffective, just effective not enough.

JJ has no distance and is always fighting the air, being up to half a meter too far away from her opponent.

More technical, yes. Much more boring, also yes. The problem with WMMA is the girls too often don't look like they can hurt one another. Shev/Joanna was 5 rounds of wash and repeat. Even with Holloway beating Ortega's head in, it wasn't till the 4th round that you finally realized Ortega had no chance to do something.
There's like 1 fighter in WMMA outside of Nunes and Cyborg who can actually hurt people, Andarade.

Joanna throws her weak ass arm punches for 5 rounds. Oh jeah and WMMA is a joke.

Yes ortega/hollaway was far more exciting. But in terms of defense, stragety and control...they made the guys look like 2 brawlers
Brawler. What Max was doing was light years ahead of what ever Valentina or Joanna did the way he was switching stand in the middle of throwing combination cutting corners, recognizing that Brian left was right there for the counter and switching footwork pattern to avoid it

There's like 1 fighter in WMMA outside of Nunes and Cyborg who can actually hurt people, Andarade.

Holm has a few times, the most obvious was Rousey but yah, even with her it's mostly "ish, ish ish".

Back