Was the wmma title fight more technical than the male one?

Yes ortega/hollaway was far more exciting. But in terms of defense, stragety and control...they made the guys look like 2 brawlers

I disagree. I admire fighters who don't need to dot all of the "i"'s and cross all of the "t"'s of "proper" technique in a fight, not because they don't know how to do so, but because they have such a degree of mastery that they can display their mastery playfully. Holloway's performance was great in that way. I loved it! Same sort of stylistic playful mastery I've admired in Anderson Silva and Conor McGregor.

Max ate way too many punches. There is no way you can blamr joe on thiz one

Both Val and Joanna are technical fighters. In this case though there was alot of nothing going on because of the style vs style here. Val really is choosy with her exchanges,and Joanna didnt want to get caught with a counter,so she threw tons of feints that Val wouldnt bite on.

Hahaha, dudes are so insecure about bad ass women.

Two bad ass ladies went out there and showcased the true essence of martial arts, they respected one another the entire time and was a match to see who was the better fighter. But of course, the dudes who tried to kill one another were better and more entertaining, so "WMMA sucks and shouldn't be on PPV anymore". Give me a break.

Not gonna lie, I skipped over the WMMA title fight on my illegal down- err, legally purchased PPV. I do this with every single WMMA match not involving Cyborg. I did it for the undercards too (saves up a lot of time to watch football/clean the house/do anything besides watch a couple chicks throw muffins for 3 rounds on a Sunday). Based purely off of the highlights I've seen posted here and the fact that Holloway/Ortega may well have been the best FW championship fight in the history of the division I have to say that I haven't seen anything from these girls to indicate they have Max's level of boxing technique nor his output or cardio to say nothing of the power difference.

No it was not and I hope T-City makes a full recovery after this one and comes back stronger.

Nah, Max has incredible striking technique. Joanna throws a lot of arm punch combos for my liking and her defense isn't great when pressured, can't fault Shevchenko too much. Her kicking game is very versatile and she has some slick judo ability.

One was a fight (Holloway/Ortega) . The other was a point sparring match, which Joanna is ALWAYS in :rolleyes:

I think we should distinguish between how the fight went down and the actual skillset of the fighters.

The WMMA fight was more of a technical fight. At least the standup was definitely more technical in the WMMA fight because both fighters excel at that.

In the main event Ortega was just outclassed on the feet, and its insane chin made the fight an absolute slugfest. His technical prowess is BJJ so had we seen more grappling it could have been a more "technical" fight.

When i read such criticism and high expectations, i believe some people expect to watch perfect choreographies and not actual fights.

When fighting or even sparring your technique will not be 100% perfect. That is why you train and train. To be able to make it AS CLOSE AS POSSIBLE to "perfect". But technical perfection can't be achieved in real-fight conditions. If a fighter can balance technique, strength behind his strikes and aggression without sacrificing too much in the other departments, then he achieves the best possible outcome. That's i what i think, at least, and i believe Holloway achieved something like that in the Ortega fight. Could be wrong but i think it's reasonable enough.

You have to be more technical when your opponent can actually KO you

"Having to be technical" and being technical while damaged are two different things. I dont think brian ortega was capable of being technical during the beating that max was giving him. If the two women were capable of hurting eachother, the damage after 5 rounds would have compromised their ability to remain technical.

Lol what are you thinking ts.. Max's striking is far far above the level of Valentina and Joanna.

Shevchenko's kicks and trips are textbook. Beautiful technique.

LOL NO
Max was landing combos from angles they could only dream of

If you watched Max's timing and slipping and think he was just "brawling" you really don't know what you're talking about

I think most of the people were not shitting on Max's brilliant display of technical boxing, but rather pointing to the defense of Ortega repeatedly using his head to absorb a record number of significant strikes as something that indicates a technical deficiency in striking defense. Max is by and far the best striker out of the four in the main/co-main.

If the question was "Out of the four fighters in the main and co-main, who displayed the best technical striking?", I doubt you'd get Valentina as the answer.
If the question was "What order would rank the four fighters in displayed striking ability?", You'd be likely to get Max, Val, JJ, and then Ortega.

The most impressive part of the performance was Valentina's control of distance

Something Max Holloway did significantly more impressively against a more dangerous opponent who wasn't undersized

"Having to be technical" and being technical while damaged are two different things. I dont think brian ortega was capable of being technical during the beating that max was giving him. If the two women were capable of hurting eachother, the damage after 5 rounds would have compromised their ability to remain technical.
I'll give ya that but I thought the commentary was more about Max than Brian, considering he's the far better striker who carried the fight while needing to be careful of Ortega's power. Ortega couldn't be technical cuz the jury is still out on him actually being a technical striker in the first place.

Back