Was tysons style modified to avoid uppercut?

revoltub

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
I wanted to post this here because i figure id get a more technical based answer.

Ive noticed that Joe Frazier had a ducking style because he was short which had him,susceptible to,uppercuts.

Tyson was short too and had a low style but imo it seems he had more side motion in his motion to off angle uppercuts.

Was avoiding uppercuts a top priority for Cus in developing his defensive style for Tyson?

As far as im aware the peek a boo syle was all about creating counterpunching opportunities while staying as safe as possible

This video explains in the beginning a bit

his footwork and shifting probably played a role in it. Also, if someone is much shorter than you and they are bobbing and weaving very low on top of that, it can be hard to uppercut them.

his footwork and shifting probably played a role in it. Also, if someone is much shorter than you and they are bobbing and weaving very low on top of that, it can be hard to uppercut them.

And if you punch down, you risk punching the back of the head i assume and could get a point

And if you punch down, you risk punching the back of the head i assume and could get a point

that could happen i would imagine.

I was thinking more along the lines of hes just simply too low to uppercut.....properly. Meaning if you were to throw one when he is so low, it would just be an arm punch.

they might be hard to land on sometimes, but they are the best opponents to use uppercuts against. uppercuts do crushing damage against ducking fighters.

Actually no, Tyson got tagged quite a bit even in his prime. His style of boxing would have never worked without his exceptional chin. It's right up there with Foreman as one of the best chins ever.

Foreman timed some uppercuts vs Frazier when he was going down into his crouch position. People landed uppercuts on Tyson. Uppercuts are used against people who are pressing forward. Plus, the Pekk-a-boo has the handon the sides of their chins. To me, the Peekaboo really sells out to defend straight punches more than anything

Foreman timed some uppercuts vs Frazier when he was going down into his crouch position. People landed uppercuts on Tyson. Uppercuts are used against people who are pressing forward. Plus, the Pekk-a-boo has the handon the sides of their chins. To me, the Peekaboo really sells out to defend straight punches more than anything

besides being fan of tyson, my very first boxing coach as a kid, taught me the peek a boo style, with the hands on our chin.

As far as im aware the peek a boo syle was all about creating counterpunching opportunities while staying as safe as possible

This video explains in the beginning a bit

I unintentionally do the peekaboo, and the trainer is always correcting me, to move my left hand. lol I must have really liked Tyson during my early years.

Tyson was a lot shorter than the guys he fought, and he liked to duck even lower. It be real hard to uppercut him. If his opponent did reach that low, is his queue to spring up and whack them in the face.

Back