Was Your Thread Deleted, Moved or Merged? Ask about it here - Vol 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was asking a genuine question in the MMA Betting session, there was no need to delete it (especially based on what was probably one dumb poster alerting one of the mods that I was supposedly trolling.)

Generally, conspiracy type threads are moved to that section.
It was an article from Forbes. Forbes is now considered conspiracy theorists by you people? Or is anything that goes against a certain narrative simply not allowed to be discussed?

It was an article from Forbes. Forbes is now considered conspiracy theorists by you people? Or is anything that goes against a certain narrative simply not allowed to be discussed?
I don't visit the war room often, but I'd wager at least part of the reason it was dumped was because you just posted a link to an article, with no actual discussion or commentary beyond you saying "...still no evidence of any conspiracy at work here".

Thread Starting
-Don't post a thread with very little in it. A thread containing just a YouTube video or link is likely going to be dumped.

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/wr-rules-guidelines-nb-update-as-of-21-january-2018.3565705/

I don't visit the war room often, but I'd wager at least part of the reason it was dumped was because you just posted a link to an article, with no actual discussion or commentary beyond you saying "...still no evidence of any conspiracy at work here".

Thread Starting
-Don't post a thread with very little in it. A thread containing just a YouTube video or link is likely going to be dumped.

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/wr-rules-guidelines-nb-update-as-of-21-january-2018.3565705/
Ah, thank-you!

May I repost with commentary? It would seem that Forbes enlightening us on how four companies really control everything is WR material, no?

Ah, thank-you!

May I repost with commentary? It would seem that Forbes enlightening us on how four companies really control everything is WR material, no?
Well, taking a brief look at the article itself (again, not a WRer), it is an opinion piece and the author of the piece uses sources he cannot identify but insists they are accurate and legitimate. Also, looking a little further, it's more CT-based than anything because it's primarily about mutual funds and other massive financial bodies that "control everything" by being major players in the indexing market. Considering you are an avowed conspiracy theorist as evidenced by your thread history, I'd say pass on that and come back with threads that are grounded in reality and not conjecture and speculation.

Hope that helps.

This is a real shame. Let me explain.

Well, taking a brief look at the article itself (again, not a WRer), it is an opinion piece and the author of the piece uses sources he cannot identify but insists they are accurate and legitimate.
He linked to them and everything there you can verify yourself through mainstream sources and basic math. You might wish to take a closer look. A) I don't see that as opinion and B) Forbes has been one of the leading sources in mainstream economics for decades.

Also, looking a little further, it's more CT-based than anything because it's primarily about mutual funds and other massive financial bodies that "control everything" by being major players in the indexing market.
It SHOWED that using basic math. I have yet to see anyone see math as "CT-based," but that's funny.

Considering you are an avowed conspiracy theorist as evidenced by your thread history, I'd say pass on that and come back with threads that are grounded in reality and not conjecture and speculation.
You obviously have not read for context, and certainly have not understood my posts. I would love to see if you can even site three examples, quoting my own words, that have anything at all to do whatsoever with a conspiracy theory.

Hope that helps.
It made it worse, lol, but thanks for your time.

Why did my conor thread moved to wasteland? I
I know people hate conor but you can’t just move the thread to wasteland

Why did my conor thread moved to wasteland? I
I know people hate conor but you can’t just move the thread to wasteland
The wasteland is a more appropriate place for a rehashed thread seen countless times like "Conor McGregor has great striking." Also, I struggled to understand why you decided to feature an image of Anderson Silva getting knocked out in a thread about Conor McGregor's counter striking.

The wasteland is a more appropriate place for a rehashed thread seen countless times like "Conor McGregor has great striking." Also, I struggled to understand why you decided to feature an image of Anderson Silva getting knocked out in a thread about Conor McGregor's counter striking.
Pretty simple.
he post a pic of conor getting rocked by diaz and because everyone know dozer love silva and hate Conor.so I post a pic of silva getting ko’d

Why are threads sometimes deleted instead instead of wastelanded? Doesn't that greatly reduce mod accountability? You have some good mods, but you also have some awful mods. Don't you wanna catch them out? @Kung Fu Tze and @Jackonfire come to mind

Why are threads sometimes deleted instead instead of wastelanded? Doesn't that greatly reduce mod accountability? You have some good mods, but you also have some awful mods. Don't you wanna catch them out? @Kung Fu Tze and @Jackonfire come to mind
Catch who out now? For what?

Some threads just aren't right for Sherdog discussion and those get deleted. With other threads, there might be an interest in discussion but they don't belong in the Heavies. They are generally moved to the Wasteland where they remain open.

Since you've been a member here for several years, I'm sure you are familiar with the rules that are posted at the top of each forum. The rules thread also includes a guide to the Wasteland.

Your thread about Conor beating Stipe didn't even meet the criteria for a thread in the Wasteland and therefore it was deleted.

Catch who out now? For what?

Some threads just aren't right for Sherdog discussion and those get deleted. With other threads, there might be an interest in discussion but they don't belong in the Heavies. They are generally moved to the Wasteland where they remain open.

Since you've been a member here for several years, I'm sure you are familiar with the rules that are posted at the top of each forum. The rules thread also includes a guide to the Wasteland.

Your thread about Conor beating Stipe didn't even meet the criteria for a thread in the Wasteland and therefore it was deleted.
Catch out awful mods; I think that's clear in the post you quoted.

What does it mean for a thread to not be right for Sherdog discussion? Even if you're able to answer that question, wouldn't it make sense to at most shield that thread from Sherdogger sight, rather than deleting it entirely, to preserve the chance for mod accountability? Whether or not a post is "right for Sherdog discussion" when it's moved is determined by a single human, is it not? And humans can be wrong, no?

Could you specifically quote a rule that I broke?

I haven't made a thread about Conor beating Stipe. I did make a thread about how fans would react were Conor to beat Stipe. I made the thread because I think it's an interesting subject, that's relevant to MMA, and has never been made before. You can't say all three of those things about most threads currently in the Heavies.

Having been a member here for several years as you say, I've developed instincts for things that happen repeatedly, i.e. people failing to respond to the things I say. I bring that up now to avoid the possibility of you doing that. I responded to everything you said, and I'd like you to do the same.

Catch out awful mods; I think that's clear in the post you quoted.

I'm still not sure what you are saying here.

What does it mean for a thread to not be right for Sherdog discussion? Even if you're able to answer that question, wouldn't it make sense to at most shield that thread from Sherdogger sight, rather than deleting it entirely, to preserve the chance for mod accountability? Whether or not a post is "right for Sherdog discussion" when it's moved is determined by a single human, is it not? And humans can be wrong, no?

There are topics of discussion that just don't belong in the Heavies, and even a small few topics that have no place anywhere on Sherdog. Although a decision to move or delete a thread is undertaken by a single human, as you say, those decisions are based on the Rules/Guidelines that are clearly posted and stuck at the top of each forum for all to see.

There are several procedures in place to hold Mods accountable, this thread in Support being just one. Anything a Mod does is subject to review.

Could you specifically quote a rule that I broke?

You didn't break any rules. You didn't receive an infraction. You made a thread that got deleted.

I haven't made a thread about Conor beating Stipe. I did make a thread about how fans would react were Conor to beat Stipe. I made the thread because I think it's an interesting subject, that's relevant to MMA, and has never been made before. You can't say all three of those things about most threads currently in the Heavies.

I don't see how a fantasy match up between Conor and Stipe has any relevance to MMA in that its a fantasy fight that will never take place. You're asking posters to imagine how they would react to an imaginary fight.

Having been a member here for several years as you say, I've developed instincts for things that happen repeatedly, i.e. people failing to respond to the things I say. I bring that up now to avoid the possibility of you doing that. I responded to everything you said, and I'd like you to do the same.

I can't really help you with people not responding to things you say.

I'm still not sure what you are saying here.
I am saying it's better not to delete a thread, so that it can be viewed and reviewed, to judge whether the mod who deleted/moved it fucked up.

There are topics of discussion that just don't belong in the Heavies, and even a small few topics that have no place anywhere on Sherdog. Although a decision to move or delete a thread is undertaken by a single human, as you say, those decisions are based on the Rules/Guidelines that are clearly posted and stuck at the top of each forum for all to see.

There are several procedures in place to hold Mods accountable, this thread in Support being just one. Anything a Mod does is subject to review.
What does it mean for a thread to not be right for Sherdog discussion? Decisions are made on rules, but mods can be right or wrong in their understanding, interpretation, and enforcement of those rules. Threads should be preserved to make sure their deletions/moves were legit. There's even a way to do that while shielding threads from public view (though you haven't explained why that's necessary).

You didn't break any rules. You didn't receive an infraction. You made a thread that got deleted.
Semantics; respond to my meaning, not my words; I'm asking why my thread was deleted.

I don't see how a fantasy match up between Conor and Stipe has any relevance to MMA in that its a fantasy fight that will never take place. You're asking posters to imagine how they would react to an imaginary fight.
Their reaction to that hypothetical scenario informs on their current state of mind. That's relevant to our reality. The fans are part of the MMA bubble, and my thread is about understanding fans' minds.

And talking about fantasy matchups should be allowed. This is an MMA discussion forum. How is it bad to talk about how two MMA fighters' skills would match up? Most MMA fights will never happen. Conor will probably only fight a few more times. I'm generally against restricting free speech no matter what, but it's especially ridiculous to restrict free speech on an MMA discussion board on the subject of an MMA fight.

I can't really help you with people not responding to things you say.
You can help me with you responding to things I say. I already had to repeat myself once in this post, and I expect I might have to do it when (or if) you respond to me again.

I am saying it's better not to delete a thread, so that it can be viewed and reviewed, to judge whether the mod who deleted/moved it fucked up.

What does it mean for a thread to not be right for Sherdog discussion? Decisions are made on rules, but mods can be right or wrong in their understanding, interpretation, and enforcement of those rules. Threads should be preserved to make sure their deletions/moves were legit. There's even a way to do that while shielding threads from public view (though you haven't explained why that's necessary).

Semantics; respond to my meaning, not my words; I'm asking why my thread was deleted.

Their reaction to that hypothetical scenario informs on their current state of mind. That's relevant to our reality. The fans are part of the MMA bubble, and my thread is about understanding fans' minds.

And talking about fantasy matchups should be allowed. This is an MMA discussion forum. How is it bad to talk about how two MMA fighters' skills would match up? Most MMA fights will never happen. Conor will probably only fight a few more times. I'm generally against restricting free speech no matter what, but it's especially ridiculous to restrict free speech on an MMA discussion board on the subject of an MMA fight.

You can help me with you responding to things I say. I already had to repeat myself once in this post, and I expect I might have to do it when (or if) you respond to me again.

Mods, and more importantly, Admins can still see when a thread gets deleted. Thats just one of the many procedures in place to keep Mods in check.

Words have meaning, thus, if I respond to your words, I am also in effect responding to their meaning.

Free speech doesn't even enter into the equation on a privately owned site like Sherdog. That line of argument is a non-starter.

Mods, and more importantly, Admins can still see when a thread gets deleted. Thats just one of the many procedures in place to keep Mods in check.

Words have meaning, thus, if I respond to your words, I am also in effect responding to their meaning.

Free speech doesn't even enter into the equation on a privately owned site like Sherdog. That line of argument is a non-starter.
Good, but I don't think admins routinely look through deleted threads to see if they shoulda been deleted. So it'd be better were they archived for review in situations like this. This incident is actually a great example, because you've done exactly what I predicted, in failing to tell me why my thread was moved.

No, you've committed a logical fallacy. Yes, words have meaning, but that doesn't necessarily mean that if you respond to my words, you've responded to my meaning.

Take this example: I ask "what is the capital of Georgia?". When I say "Georgia", I mean the country in Eurasia. Its capital is Tbilisi, and thus, were you to respond to my meaning, you'd answer Tbilisi. But you think I'm referring to the U.S. state, and thus instead, you say "Atlanta". You see how you responded to my word, but not my meaning? To be fair, in this example, it's simply a failure of communication. You genuinely tried to respond to my meaning, but you thought I meant to the U.S. state, not the Eurasian country. That could quickly be cleared up during the course of that conversation. But this example doesn't suit what's happened here. For that, let's look at a different example:

You and I know each other well. We have a friend called Geoff. My nickname for Geoff is Giraffe, and you know this. I say "What's Giraffe up to tonight?". You know I'm referring to Geoff, who's working nights as a security guard. Yet you respond "probably eating Acacia in Africa somewhere." You see the difference between this example and the last one? This isn't a failure of communication. You know what I mean, yet you chose to respond to my word (Giraffe), not my meaning (Geoff).

When I said "Could you specifically quote a rule that I broke?" I was asking what rules warranted my thread being moved. If you didn't understand that, then fair enough, it's a failure of communcation (thus it'd be a case of example A). However, I clarified things in the follow-up post, when I said "Semantics; respond to my meaning, not my words; I'm asking why my thread was deleted", yet you still haven't responded. Respond to my meaning ("why was the thread moved?") not my words ("Could you specifically quote a rule that I broke?").

I did what you suggested btw, and my thread doesn't break any of the rules in the thread you referenced. It doesn't "fighter bash"; it doesn't flame; it wasn't an "empty post" e.g. "Rickson by armbar"; it wasn't a "graphic post"; it didn't contain copyrighted material; it didn't contain profanity in the thread title.

What I said about free speech was regarding my own beliefs for how forums should be run; it's a point regarding how I think the forums rules should be constructed, not about how they are currently. If you want to talk about that subject, telling me why the thread was deleted would be a great start.

You barely responded to my last post. Is there a reason for that? Should I expect this to continue?

Support
Comment? Complaint? Suggestion? Questions about the products our site offers

So I made a suggestion (about if there could be a separate Conor forum just like there was a forum for Conor v. Mayweather) and it got deleted.

<36>

And I'm sure this post is gonna be deleted too, but what is the point of encouraging suggestions and deleting my post when I actually do it.

It's almost impossible not to get a post deleted at this point.

Support
Comment? Complaint? Suggestion? Questions about the products our site offers

So I made a suggestion (about if there could be a separate Conor forum just like there was a forum for Conor v. Mayweather) and it got deleted.

I don't believe we'll be getting another subforum specifically for Conor threads anytime soon, unless his next fight is something equivalent to his previous fight that either transcends the sport or overwhelms the Heavies section.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back