watched lil nog vs shogun 1 for the first time

Casanova11

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
even though the fight was awesome, I couldn't help but think about just how overrated "prime gp shogun" really is.

I mean, supposedly this guy was a better striker than gus, rumble, and jones. but he was throwing the same wild looping hooks that he threw in his slugfests with hendo. he was just faster and had a better chin back then. very hittable as well, lil nog was a good boxer but not great. shogun was a more athletic version of wand, they had the same fighting style. wild and relied on chin.

I think gus, jones, rumble, dc beat any version of shogun to be honest. arona was a very one dimensional guy that was undersized for the division.

Shogun with no knees lost 30-27.

Young Shogun with 2 knees knocks him out.

Shogun with no knees lost 30-27.

Young Shogun with 2 knees knocks him out.
he lost 30-26 on one judges scorecard

under todays rules every judge wuldve scored that 30-26, and that wasn't even the best version of gus. far from it

gus has iron chin, better than shogun's. taller, more elusive, more technical boxer. better cardio as well. shogun always had average tdd, gus was way better wrestler

I dont think I've ever heard anyone say that Shogun in his prime was a better striker than Gus, Rumble and Jones necessarily. I don't think that Shogun would have beat Jones at any point, and he would have had a hard time with Gus and Rumble too.

With that said, he was obviously a better fighter in Pride. He was not this technical wizard, but he had everything he does now plus he was faster, in better shape, better chin, more aggressive and the rules were in his favour. He was definitely a dangerous guy back then.

he lost 30-26 on one judges scorecard

under todays rules every judge wuldve scored that 30-26, and that wasn't even the best version of gus. far from it

gus has iron chin, better than shogun's. taller, more elusive, more technical boxer. better cardio as well. shogun always had average tdd, gus was way better wrestler
Shogun buzzsaws him. Doesn't keep the fight at range and forces Gus into a firefight. Gus eventually wilts and gets TKO.

At that day ıf I am not wrong there were also no cameras on the phones there wasnt facebook instagram and very few guys on sherdog most of the active fighters were babies or children,I mean sport changed a lot like everything,Stop acting like a MMA observer and try to learn about the sport if youre interested

I dont think I've ever heard anyone say that Shogun in his prime was a better striker than Gus, Rumble and Jones necessarily. I don't think that Shogun would have beat Jones at any point, and he would have had a hard time with Gus and Rumble too.

With that said, he was obviously a better fighter in Pride. He was not this technical wizard, but he had everything he does now plus he was faster, in better shape, better chin, more aggressive and the rules were in his favour. He was definitely a dangerous guy back then.
yes he was a bad mofo but plenty of ppl say that gp shogun would've murked almost any lhw ever

sort of like gp cro cop in 2006

Did you just say Arona was undersized for the division...

32354.jpg

He's one of the biggest LHWs in history.

And if washed up Shogun can go the distance with prime Gus I think prime Shogun would finish him. And Rumble quits every time he loses. I think Shogun would beat him too. Jones and DC are different stories.

Lol I have never heard anyone accuse Ricardo Roidrona of being undersized

I started to entertain the TS post with serious thought then I saw that

32354.jpg

And if washed up Shogun can go the distance with prime Gus I think prime Shogun would finish him. And Rumble quits every time he loses. I think Shogun would beat him too. Jones and DC are different stories.
he still wasn't nearly as big as modern lhws like gus and jones.

plus he was like 5'10" with shoes on

*Wasn't as tall. He was heavier than both.
gus walks around at 240+ (rogan podcast)

and jones regularly gets to over 235 outside of camp (his weight for his grapple match with hendo)

now where is your proof that arona is as big?

yes he was a bad mofo but plenty of ppl say that gp shogun would've murked almost any lhw ever

sort of like gp cro cop in 2006
Do they though? Maybe 5-6 years ago there were still some people who said that, but now? Haven't seen it for years. I think if we say that he would've murked _almost_ any lhw, then if we take out DC, Jones, Gus (maybe), and Rumble (maybe) I think he would have a pretty good chance at "murking" the rest. I mean he beat prime Lil Nog, finished Overeem (twice), finished prime Rampage, finished Arona, finished Randleman and was basicly 19-1 barring the freak injury against Coleman. All these guys in their prime would do well in the LHW division even today and would all probably be top 5-10.

Same with Cro Cop in 2006. That Cro Cop would have a good chance at beating almost anyone at HW and LHW from then to now. He was on fire that year. He moved so well against Wanderlei the second fight. Still he would probably have a hard time with Fedor, Cain, Stipe and a few others.

gus walks around at 240+ (rogan podcast)

and jones regularly gets to over 235 outside of camp (his weight for his grapple match with hendo)

now where is your proof that arona is as big?
Both sounds like normal sized HWs to me. They must like cutting weight and dehydrating themselves instead of fighting at 100%.

Do they though? Maybe 5-6 years ago there were still some people who said that, but now? Haven't seen it for years. I think if we say that he would've murked _almost_ any lhw, then if we take out DC, Jones, Gus (maybe), and Rumble (maybe) I think he would have a pretty good chance at "murking" the rest. I mean he beat prime Lil Nog, finished Overeem (twice), finished prime Rampage, finished Arona, finished Randleman and was basicly 19-1 barring the freak injury against Coleman. All these guys in their prime would do well in the LHW division even today and would all probably be top 5-10.

Same with Cro Cop in 2006. That Cro Cop would have a good chance at beating almost anyone at HW and LHW from then to now. He was on fire that year. He moved so well against Wanderlei the second fight. Still he would probably have a hard time with Fedor, Cain, Stipe and perhaps a few others.
I agree with cro cop. he was a beast, I think hed be top 3 in today hw division in a ring.

in cage, cro cop wouldn't be nearly as effective
Both sounds like normal sized HWs to me. They must like cutting weight and dehydrating themselves instead of fighting at 100%.
I never said I like either of them or their weight cutting. but to say arona was bigger than two 6'4' monsters is stupid

I agree with cro cop. he was a beast, I think hed be top 3 in today hw division in a ring.

in cage, cro cop wouldn't be nearly as effective
True, but again, different time, different rules, different space. That's why it's even harder to compare. Had Cro Cop had more time to adjust to a cage while still being in his prime physically, then he might have been as effective in a cage. Who knows. He was a beast though.

32354.jpg

Hey if you're not as big as the 2 biggest guys in your division your're tiny. I watched a fight from over 10 years ago , I would know.

I never said I like either of them or their weight cutting. but to say arona was bigger than two 6'4' monsters is stupid

So would be saying Arona was undersized for the division. Guy used to have to cut to make 99KG (218lb) in grappling.

arona was a very one dimensional guy that was undersized for the division.

So would be saying Arona was undersized for the division. Guy used to have to cut to make 99KG (218lb) in grappling.
show me where he said he cut weight to make 218

none of you seem to be able to back up any of your absurd statements of arona's size

Back