HBO's WATCHMEN TV Series

Dragonlordxxxxx

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Update: September 13, 2019

Official Trailer for HBO's WATCHMEN; Premieres October 20, 2019

From Damon Lindelof and set in an alternate history where masked vigilantes are treated as outlaws, this drama series embraces the nostalgia of the original groundbreaking graphic novel of the same name while attempting to break new ground of its own.

Update: May 8, 2019

First Teaser Trailer for HBO's WATCHMEN Counts Down to the End of the World

Tick tock. Watchmen debuts this fall on HBO. From Damon Lindelof, Watchmen is a modern-day reimagining of Alan Moore's groundbreaking graphic novel about masked vigilantes.

Update: June 26, 2018

Jeremy Irons to Lead Cast of HBO and Damon Lindelof's WATCHMEN TV Series

DxDHpn4.jpg

HBO has found its leading man for its highly anticipated take on Watchmen. Oscar and Emmy winner Jeremy Irons has been tapped to topline the pilot from Damon Lindelof (The Leftovers).

While HBO has remained mum on character details for Watchmen, Irons will likely play an aging and imperious lord of a British manor.

Lindelof's take on Alan Moore's beloved comic series is set in an alternate history where "superheroes" are treated as outlaws. Watchmen embraces the nostalgia of the original trailblazing graphic novel while attempting to break ground of its own. Lindelof penned the pilot script and executive produces alongside Tom Spezialy and Nicole Kassell (The Leftovers), the latter of whom will direct the pilot. The project hails from Lindelof's White Rabbit banner and Warner Bros. Television.

Irons joins previously announced Watchmen cast members Regina King, Don Johnson, Tim Blake Nelson, Louis Gossett Jr., Adelaide Clemens and Andrew Howard.

Irons' credits include his Emmy-winning role in HBO's Elizabeth I, Oscar-winning role in 1990's Reversal of Fortune and Showtime's The Borgias.

'Watchmen': Jeremy Irons to Lead Cast of HBO's Damon Lindelof Pilot

Update: September 20, 2017

Damon Lindelof's WATCHMEN Gets Official Pilot Order from HBO

Ze73Wxz.jpg

HBO is moving forward with Watchmen. The premium cable network has officially handed out a pilot order and commissioned additional scripts for Damon Lindelof's take on Alan Moore's beloved graphic novel.

The news comes three months after The Hollywood Reporter broke that the Leftovers showrunner was developing a take on the DC Comics favorite. Lindelof also revealed on Instagram that the writers room for the potential TV series has officially been opened.

Lindelof originally read the comics as a kid in the 1980s and has said that the series continues to influence his work. "From the flashbacks to the nonlinear storytelling to the deeply flawed heroes, these are all elements that I try to put into everything I write," he told Comic Book Resources in 2009 ahead of the feature-film take.

Lindelof has read Watchmen multiple times and, at the time, praised director Zack Snyder's film. "It's the most married-to-the-original-text version of Watchmen that could've been made," he told the Observer. "I want to keep it sort of insular," Lindelof said, referring to the multiple translations that have come from trying to translate the source material. "It's OK with me if people don't understand it because they don't deserve to understand it."

Snyder, who directed the feature-film adaptation of Moore's comic series, is no longer attached to the drama project from Warner Bros. Television, where both DC Entertainment and Lindelof are housed.

First published in 1986 and collected in 1987, Watchmen was created by Moore, artist Dave Gibbons and colorist John Higgins. The series was named one of the 100 best novels by Time magazine. Rumors of HBO tackling Watchmen first surfaced in 2015, when the pay cabler noted it was in preliminary discussions for a TV take on the property.

Snyder, who was briefly attached to the HBO project in 2015, adapted the comic and brought the title's "Minutemen" crime fighters to the big screen in 2009 with Jackie Earle Haley, Malin Akerman, Billy Crudup, Matthew Goode, Carla Gugino, Jeffrey Dean Morgan and Patrick Wilson starring. The film, produced by Warner Bros. with a $130 million production budget, grossed a disappointing $107.5 million domestically and $185.3 million worldwide.

For Lindelof, Watchmen would arrive after The Leftovers, based on the book of the same name, recently wrapped its three-season run on HBO. The Lost alum is repped by CAA and Myman Greenspan.

'Watchmen' Moving Forward at HBO With Pilot Order

Update: June 20, 2017

WATCHMEN TV Series from Damon Lindelof in the Works at HBO

AuOj8fM.jpg

DC Comics favorite Watchmen may be headed for the small screen.

Fresh off of critical favorite The Leftovers, Damon Lindelof is in talks for a potential Watchmen TV series for HBO. Sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that the project is in the early development stages. An official deal is not yet in place.

Lindelof originally read the comics as a kid in the 1980s and has said that the series continues to influence his work. "From the flashbacks to the nonlinear storytelling to the deeply flawed heroes, these are all elements that I try to put into everything I write," he told CBR in 2009 ahead of the feature film take. He's read Watchmen multiple times and, at the time, praised director Zack Snyder's film. "It's the most married-to-the-original-text version of Watchmen that could've been made," he told the Observer. "I want to keep it sort of insular," he said, referring to the multiple translations that have come from trying to translate the source material. "It's OK with me if people don't understand it because they don't deserve to understand it."

Snyder, who directed the 2009 feature film adaptation of Alan Moore's beloved comic series, is no longer attached to the drama from Warner Bros. Television, where both DC Entertainment and Lindelof are housed.

Snyder, who was briefly attached to the HBO project in 2015, adapted the comic and brought the title's "Minutemen" crime fighters to the big screen in 2009 with Jackie Earle Haley, Malin Akerman, Billy Crudup, Matthew Goode, Carla Gugino, Jeffrey Dean Morgan and Patrick Wilson starring. The film, produced by Warner Bros. Pictures with a $130 million production budget, grossed a disappointing $107.5 million domestically and $185.3 million worldwide.

'Watchmen' TV Series From Damon Lindelof in the Works at HBO

Update: October 1, 2015

HBO Considering WATCHMEN TV Series from Zack Snyder

h1fxYsd.jpg

Collider reports that Zack Snyder has been meeting with HBO to talk about a Watchmen TV series. The site reports that the meetings about adapting the DC Comics property have taken place, but unfortunately there's no details yet as to whether this would be a prequel series, a re-imagining of the events of the Watchmen story itself, or a sequel series.

Enter Before Watchmen, a 2012 prequel series of comic books from DC Comics. These eight character-centric limited series (and one one-shot) served as background for Moore’s original 1986 12-issue series, and it stands to reason they could very well be the stories that Snyder intends on bringing to HBO as a TV prequel series.

It’s also worth noting that HBO is notoriously difficult to predict until a series has a hard release date. For example, they couldn’t reach a budget compromise with David Fincher for his Utopia series, and shut down the production of Fincher’s half-hour comedy series that he was developing simultaneously. Clout and/or popularity doesn’t automatically mean a greenlight, as further evidenced by the network famously passing on Noah Baumbach‘s star-studded The Corrections pilot.

So while meetings about a Watchmen TV series have taken place, nothing has been greenlit as of this writing. But with Game of Thrones‘ end looming in the next couple of years and original drama programming in short supply, surely HBO is looking for that next big hit.

Exclusive: Zack Snyder Meeting with HBO to Develop a 'Watchmen' TV Series

Watchmen Reboot In Development At HBO

It looks like Warner Bros. is rebooting the Watchmen for HBO. The network has already been home to prestige television such as The Sopranos, The Wire, Game of Thrones, and Westworld. and now looks to expand its repertoire to superheroes.

And now that HBO’s the Leftovers has since wrapped, Damon Lindelof will be helming the project for HBO.

Lindelof is known for show running ABC’s hit mystery-survival show Lost, as well as the Ridley Scott-directed Alien prequel Prometheus.

According to the Variety report, who first broke the news, the series would not be playing off of Zack Snyder's movie but would be an entirely new reinvention of the series for the premium network. HBO had previously attempted to put together a show based on the Vertigo series before, but it fell apart.

Watchmen lends itself to HBO's adult-oriented programming, dealing with mature themes that other comic book-oriented adaptations might be ill suited to tell.

LIndelof would be returning to HBO after a successful run with the show The Leftovers. The show just finished its third and final season.

While the original Zack Snyder movie from Warner Bros. has earned many fans over the years, an updated version from HBO — taking the time to tell a long-form story — might be more preferred over what was provided from the DC Films director.

Just what the world needs. More comic book shows/movies. I'm ditching cable tomorrow

I like this news (sorry Alan). The source material is too big to be crammed into one movie.

Hopefully they get a better Silk Specter this time.

Just what the world needs. More comic book shows/movies. I'm ditching cable tomorrow
Disregarding comic book movies entirely is like disregarding movie adapted from novels. Don't lump all the work by hundreds of different writers and artists together just because they worked in the same medium. Strong source material and smart adaptation make good films, the medium of the source material makes no difference.

Disregarding comic book movies entirely is like disregarding movie adapted from novels. Don't lump all the work by hundreds of different writers and artists together just because they worked in the same medium. Strong source material and smart adaptation make good films, the medium of the source material makes no difference.
Fair enough. I hope they make it pretty dark. These campy comic book adaptations all suck

I'm probably in the minority but I enjoyed the movie. I'm super stoked for this too, Watchmen under HBO just HAS to be good.

I'm probably in the minority but I enjoyed the movie. I'm super stoked for this too, Watchmen under HBO just HAS to be good.

Watchmen was great and I'm not even a Zack Snyder fan. Much of the casting was spot-on, and he really went to great lengths to recreate entire scenes shot-for-shot.

Even the ending, while drastically different from the source material, was a good way of modernizing the ending and giving it an air of believability.

I'd like more of a faithful adaption of the source material. The movie just wanted a stylish martial arts fighting flick.

I must admit, I'm actually looking forward to this. I think being on HBO really allows the writers and director a lot of flexibility when it comes to shooting and dialogue and should make for a great series

Update: June 20, 2017

WATCHMEN TV Series from Damon Lindelof in the Works at HBO

AuOj8fM.jpg

DC Comics favorite Watchmen may be headed for the small screen.

Fresh off of critical favorite The Leftovers, Damon Lindelof is in talks for a potential Watchmen TV series for HBO. Sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that the project is in the early development stages. An official deal is not yet in place.

Lindelof originally read the comics as a kid in the 1980s and has said that the series continues to influence his work. "From the flashbacks to the nonlinear storytelling to the deeply flawed heroes, these are all elements that I try to put into everything I write," he told CBR in 2009 ahead of the feature film take. He's read Watchmen multiple times and, at the time, praised director Zack Snyder's film. "It's the most married-to-the-original-text version of Watchmen that could've been made," he told the Observer. "I want to keep it sort of insular," he said, referring to the multiple translations that have come from trying to translate the source material. "It's OK with me if people don't understand it because they don't deserve to understand it."

Snyder, who directed the 2009 feature film adaptation of Alan Moore's beloved comic series, is no longer attached to the drama from Warner Bros. Television, where both DC Entertainment and Lindelof are housed.

Snyder, who was briefly attached to the HBO project in 2015, adapted the comic and brought the title's "Minutemen" crime fighters to the big screen in 2009 with Jackie Earle Haley, Malin Akerman, Billy Crudup, Matthew Goode, Carla Gugino, Jeffrey Dean Morgan and Patrick Wilson starring. The film, produced by Warner Bros. Pictures with a $130 million production budget, grossed a disappointing $107.5 million domestically and $185.3 million worldwide.

'Watchmen' TV Series From Damon Lindelof in the Works at HBO

Lindelof? No. If they get Mimi Leder in as director then I might watch. She saved "The leftovers" and Lindelof from spinning down the drain.

I'd be into this. It would give them more time to delve deeper into the characters and do the story more justice than the movie did.

Was intrigued until I read Damon Lindelof's name. He fucked up Prometheus and is not a good writer or storyteller. The series will probably be a complete mess.

Snyder's Watchmen is a faithful adaption of the source material, I don't get why so many people shit on it.

Oh' God, Lindelof? Don't know about that.

Wait and see, I guess. It's going to be tough though. As divisive as Snyder's Watchmen was, I can't say he left much out to build upon. They'd have to completely change everything to really separate it from the film. Other than some nitpicks, like Ozymandias not being well cast, or fleshed out, the movie pretty much nailed it.

Back