water fasting, anyone tried it?

Heihachi101

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
hey peeps im starting water fasting today,
was wondering if anyone else has tried it?

Longest I ever did it was from Friday to Monday morning. I may try it again this weekend.

I have never fasted, but I have gone days without food or drink other than water when they have been unavailable.

I did a 10 day fast before about seven or eight years ago. I did water for about five days before I hit a wall --- I was really stupid and was doing sports throughout which depleted me badly. I juiced one time a day on day five, seven and 10. I went from being able to do one day of fasting to 10 days. It is quite an experience. I lost 20 pounds in seven days. I was able to sit with people while they ate once I got over the rough stretch (2 days) and not be tempted to eat. Toxins were coming out of my body every which way after about a week in. My lips were turning purple, my skin had a glow as my body naturally was eliminating. You're in for some fun, lol.

I would recommend getting Dr. Joel Fuhrman's book on fasting. He was the doctor that was consulted with in "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead," the documentary about the two men who did juice fasting for sixty days to heal their ailments.

The first day and a half to two days are going to be the worst; just ride it out. Keep yourself busy with things to keep your mind off food. If you feel hungry, drink more water, but don't overdo it. You will feel like you are going to pass out at times or weak, but just get your bearings. It will pass.

You can do this!

What is your goal?

"Fasting for Health" is the name of the book by Dr. Joel Fuhrman.

He was a US Olympic figure skater with his sister when he had an injury. No treatments helped him but fasting. He was told if he didn't get an operation by a leading doctor in his field that Team USA sent him to he'd never walk properly again.

In a few months he was back on the ice skating at an elite level. That is when he chose to become a doctor.

I did a 10 day fast before about seven or eight years ago. I did water for about five days before I hit a wall --- I was really stupid and was doing sports throughout which depleted me badly. I juiced one time a day on day five, seven and 10. I went from being able to do one day of fasting to 10 days. It is quite an experience. I lost 20 pounds in seven days. I was able to sit with people while they ate once I got over the rough stretch (2 days) and not be tempted to eat. Toxins were coming out of my body every which way after about a week in. My lips were turning purple, my skin had a glow as my body naturally was eliminating. You're in for some fun, lol.

I would recommend getting Dr. Joel Fuhrman's book on fasting. He was the doctor that was consulted with in "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead," the documentary about the two men who did juice fasting for sixty days to heal their ailments.

The first day and a half to two days are going to be the worst; just ride it out. Keep yourself busy with things to keep your mind off food. If you feel hungry, drink more water, but don't overdo it. You will feel like you are going to pass out at times or weak, but just get your bearings. It will pass.

You can do this!

What is your goal?

good question about goal, my goal is to lose as much as weight as possible

im not sure how many days im going to be doing it for,
im just going to take it one step at a time,
is there any pdf available for that book online?

good question about goal, my goal is to lose as much as weight as possible

im not sure how many days im going to be doing it for,
im just going to take it one step at a time,
is there any pdf available for that book online?

I'm not sure. I have the physical book. I didn't buy it until maybe six months after I did that 10 day fast.

You will only gain the weight back as your metabolism eventually slows right down. I don't know how you eat now, but if you switch to a low carb/high fat/moderate protein diet, that is probably the best way to manage weight if that is your long-term goal. It is still healthy to water fast, don't get me wrong, but it's not really a weight management tool, unless you are doing intermittent fasting daily. In 2017, I was seeing a doctor that made me switch to the G.I. (glycemic index diet) which is basically the same sort of diet and I lost 30 pounds in two months by eliminating things that were not good for me (I knew that) and something he prescribed to all his patients for neurological issues.

This is a really good channel for understanding LCHF if you're interested:

https://www.youtube.com/user/lowcarbdownunder

It's probably good to have a goal day, just so you don't feel like a quitter? if that makes sense? I remember around day 8, I wanted to quit. I was sitting in a restaurant and guys were taunting me with pizza and nachos, passing them back and forth to each other in front of me. But I had come that far and I wasn't going to quit then. Most people would have said "oh you did eight days, you should be proud of yourself. Eat up," but I said 10 days and I was going to do 10 days. I made sure I told some people too, not everyone, just so I'd keep my word to myself.

Your goal doesn't have to be unrealistic or overly tough. Build on whatever you've fasted before for Ramadan maybe and go from there?

Also I should add, water is the superior fast to any juice fast. Dr. Furhman gets into the science of it as it is more aggressive and also it helps to spare protein in your body after I believe 72 hours for males. If you do a juice fast you are essentially in starvation mode as calories are being introduced to your body and there is a different physiological process going on. May have explained why I stopped losing weight after day 7 of the day 10 fast. I'm not sure.

I've fasted, but have drunk clear liquids loaded with nutrition throughout, so I had energy and so my brain functioned at a high level. Not sure why you would just drink water, but I guess you've looked into this. My point was to give my digestive system a rest, and clear out my intestines. I also lost some weight, but that wasn't the primary goal. A water fast might be tough as you'll be really hungry all the time, and all that entails - like being in a bad mood, not being able to function well, etc. - which means it's likely not going to last very long, and to just do it for a day won't really do much for your body.

My suggestion is to do one or more of these things for low-calorie high-nutrition drinks which are easy on the body during a fast: 1) Make a vegetable broth from whatever veggies you like. Use a sieve to separate the the veggies from the broth once you've boiled the veggies for a good while. You can even put some meat in there for protein....the point is to just drink the broth. 2) Get a juicer and make juice from any non-sweet fruits or veggies or herbs that you like. Sweet fruits add lots of calories, and the fructose makes the body work harder than it should during a fast....you should be gentle on your body. 3) Drink coconut water, unsweetened of course. 4) Buy the healthiest enzyme drink you can find at the health food store. I drink this one, but I'm not sure you can get it where you are:

https://www.hockhuaestore.com.sg/web/Products_Details.aspx?CODE_ID=S031009300

I've fasted, but have drunk clear liquids loaded with nutrition throughout, so I had energy and so my brain functioned at a high level. Not sure why you would just drink water, but I guess you've looked into this. My point was to give my digestive system a rest, and clear out my intestines. I also lost some weight, but that wasn't the primary goal. A water fast might be tough as you'll be really hungry all the time, and all that entails - like being in a bad mood, not being able to function well, etc. - which means it's likely not going to last very long, and to just do it for a day won't really do much for your body.

My suggestion is to do one or more of these things for low-calorie high-nutrition drinks which are easy on the body during a fast: 1) Make a vegetable broth from whatever veggies you like. Use a sieve to separate the the veggies from the broth once you've boiled the veggies for a good while. You can even put some meat in there for protein....the point is to just drink the broth. 2) Get a juicer and make juice from any non-sweet fruits or veggies or herbs that you like. Sweet fruits add lots of calories, and the fructose makes the body work harder than it should during a fast....you should be gentle on your body. 3) Drink coconut water, unsweetened of course. 4) Buy the healthiest enzyme drink you can find at the health food store. I drink this one, but I'm not sure you can get it where you are:

https://www.hockhuaestore.com.sg/web/Products_Details.aspx?CODE_ID=S031009300

Your cells have nutrients already in the event of a fast or famine. When I fasted I had TONS of energy until I over did it with exercise, which was stupid on my part. It was unbelievable how much energy I tapped into. I did a baseball tournament, helped someone purge their home of things and did judo before I finally hit a wall.

Water fast? First time hearing it, closest thing to that for me would be on cut week when I have to make weight

I've never really thought about trying this. So how do you garner enough energy to make it through the week without feeling sluggish? Especially if you want to work out a couple days a week, or should you not workout during this?

I'm gonna do some research.

Back