Ways to beat a 13 year bjj practitioner

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by ironkhan57, Jul 12, 2018.

1. ironkhan57

ironkhan57 Green Belt

Ok, so I'm having an unsanctioned fight with a hoodlum, who is a guy I went to high school with before I got kicked out, and he is an out of shape guy, in school he told me he use to train bjj, now he's telling me he has 13 years of bjj.

So I have 5 years of muay thai and boxing and also have trained bjj for about 6 months in total before I stopped completely because of the assistant instructor who nobody liked (everybody was telling me I should come back to the bjj class and I'm like nah).

So last time I saw this guy was 3 years ago and he was fat, and even brought dunking doughnuts into school. I told him we are going to fight with mma gloves on, I have trained with mma fighters and a lot of them haven't been able to take me down. This guy does some smoke weed, so I think that tells me his stamina, is not that good.

So here's what I learned in those 5 years training when facing an experience bjj practitioner. Keep a low stance, stay out of his reach (which I know I have a longer reach then him), and do not clinch or try to grab him. I got until next fri (not this fri next fri) to train for him. I know he's out of shape and that he might have low stamina, so i decided to work on mostly cardio and fighting in a lower stance a long with keeping my lead hand a little more out to keep him at bay. What else is their? This guy is also from the hood too. No I am not joking I actually am fighting him next week on fri and he does not know any other style but bjj. So I repeat my question since it's kind of an anything goes fight, what else is their I should work on? I have limited resources right now, I'm trying to find like a wrestler or bjj practitioner to help but I am currently doing my training at the Y, and they only have a heavy bag over their to train on over their, and theirs one guy who has good grappling but he's too busy to help me most of the time. And again this is not a joke I actually am fighting a guy from the hood who has 13 years of bjj and nothing else.

Bobbybackpack likes this.
  2. mattemate

mattemate Brown Belt

So you're saying women are lobsters?

3. ironkhan57

ironkhan57 Green Belt

I really don't know where that came from, but I guess it's best not to respond.

4. mattemate

mattemate Brown Belt

I think this is a bad idea but my advice would be to practice sprawling, and uppercut and knee counters to shots.

What is the beef over?

5. PointyShinyBurn

PointyShinyBurn Purple Belt

If your man has trained for 13 years with any kind of consistency it's overwhelmingly likely you're going to get your arse kicked.

Sorry.

P.S. Obviously don't street fight in general.

ironkhan57 likes this.
  6. ironkhan57

ironkhan57 Green Belt

Even if he has no other training in any other style like boxing or muay thai? He's only 22 that's the thing and smokes weed. This is going to be an mma anything goes fight.

7. ironkhan57

ironkhan57 Green Belt

I rather not get into details about the beef. All I want to do is fight this guy. One thing I think might help and you can tell me if this will help or not is to use Mike tyson's dipping to uppercut movement would that help too? And I'm trying to focus on more punches and elbows then kicks for obvious reasons. I will knee him in the solar plexus when I get the chance in the fight though.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  8. Poochie

Poochie White Belt

Ah, the hood of Short Hills, NJ. You guys should have your parent's lawyers work this out and not embarrass yourselves by rolling around the well manicured lawns of Short Hills.

9. ironkhan57

ironkhan57 Green Belt

One thing I know I got to do is keep him at bay and fight him from the outside, I know I'm the better striker. I got kind of 2 gameplans for this fight:
    #1: fight him from the outside keep him away with the jab, and use my movement to keep away from his takedowns. And just hit him with a 1-2 and push kick his knee to, and if he gets close enough for a takedown just use double underhooks and knee him in the solar plexus.

#2: try to hit him in the body as much as I can to tire him out while also going for the head. And if I can I thought I could use Mike tyson's dipping movement to make him think I'm going to go for the takedown then uppercut or knee him.

All the gameplans I will have a lower fighting stance. And I will try my best to not get taken down.

10. ironkhan57

ironkhan57 Green Belt

He's from Newark not short hills, but he is coming to my house in short hills. I think by the time it comes to next week fri I will have moved to west orange, so I'll tell him to come over to my house in west orange.

11. ironkhan57

ironkhan57 Green Belt

The guy is also the same height as me but has a shorter reach then me, he smokes so it tells me that he might have low stamina and my stamina is getting better everytime, I did 5 rounds on the bag 1st round was just punches then the next 4 rounds was mma, so I tried to work on my movement and tried to visualize the bag as that guy, and just visualized him trying to set up a takedown by punching and just moved out of the way, while also practicing keeping a low stance and using a dipping movement to make him think I'm going for the takedown, I am taking him really seriously he think's I'm not he's never seen me fight and think's I can't fight so I think I have like 10% of the advantage.

12. rmongler

rmongler Brown Belt

When i read the thread title i thought the OP was talking about fighting a 13 year old.

13. ironkhan57

ironkhan57 Green Belt

I would be in jail then. Lol

14. BJJ_Rage

BJJ_Rage Gold Belt

13 years of Bjj and he’s 22? Plenty grapplers smoke weed, fucking Diaz bros get more weed smoke than air in their longs... do you see them gassing? 13 years of Bjj starting at age of what? 9? hes probably a Bb by now...fat or not fat you go to the ground and he’s going to fuck you up, unless you are way stronger and bigger, he’s going to take you down. Don’t fight him..

method115 likes this.
  15. ironkhan57

ironkhan57 Green Belt

I'm not going to back out, whether I'm going to get my ass kicked or not I'm going to fight, if theirs any chance of me winning i'm going to take it and yes I am a pretty strong guy, if he takes me down it's all over that's why I'm trying to prepare real well.

16. jack36767

jack36767 Brown Belt

Awww that’s cute. Gonna call Daddy’s lawyer if you gets in trouble fighting the “hoodlum”. Did he get the girl, dear god no

17. judoka loca

judoka loca Training to eventually grapple a bear

Just bring that baseball bat Negan carries on the Walking Dead, he will surrender then. Or leg kick his thighs until he becomes the Living Unable to Walk.

ironkhan57 likes this.
  18. ironkhan57

ironkhan57 Green Belt

What on earth gave you that idea? My dad and I are 2 different people I've been around the hood more times then I can count and I do not call the cops on anyone who beats me in a fight, I train to beat them.

19. ironkhan57

ironkhan57 Green Belt

Lmao, not the best comedic comment but still good, In all seriousness I considered leg kicking him but if he catches it I will be taken down the key thing to winning is to not get taken down.

20. DatCutman

DatCutman White Belt

Stand amongst the ashes of a trillion dead souls and ask the ghosts if honor matters.

May be time to consider growing up, OP.

shunyata, INTERL0PER and Sano like this.