Ways to practice kicking without a thai bag/heavy bag

mrxpaull

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I don't have a thai bag/heavy bag at home but would like a way to practice my kicks. Is there anything you guys could suggest? I only have a wavemaster but it really doesn't feel right when i kick it.

One more question: When shadow boxing w/ kicks, I should be following through with my kicks right? I should be fully swinging my kicks or should I be snapping it back into position as if I landed the kick?

You should just kick a partner with the proper pads.

One more question: When shadow boxing w/ kicks, I should be following through with my kicks right? I should be fully swinging my kicks or should I be snapping it back into position as if I landed the kick?

When people shadowbox Thai style they usually following through 360. The reason is, if you execute your kick Thai style the mechanics of the kick make it pretty much impossible to bring it back into stance

Thai pads with body protector, thai suitcase, and bag work. The thai pads with body protector is especially great for working punch/kick combos. Thai suitcase is great for practicing full power leg kicks.

So I posted this up in another thread - you can totally spar like this YouTube - Anderson Silva UFC MW Champion with Kru Nestor

Then get a pair of thai pads and a kick shield like adidas Curved Shield at Ringside.com

Hold the shield at the leg to practice full force leg kicks.

Using thai pads and the shield with a partner, that's way better than kicking a heavy bag

Training like seen in the anderson silva video can result in some bad injuries. It's not safe, especially if you're not really well trained.

It's difficult to practice kicks without a bag or a partner.... IMO..

I agree that if you do, you should do the full 365 degree revolution. It only makes sense to continue the motion.. you can practice your back kicks this way.

Training like seen in the anderson silva video can result in some bad injuries. It's not safe, especially if you're not really well trained.

That was some very light sparring, I don't see the problem aside from potential eye-poking.

Totally depends on the style. If you want to throw kicks, I'd take up a martial art, or a kickboxing gym would probably be better for you. Kicking is a refined art. An instructor will not only have you up to speed much faster, but you'll learn how to throw them correctly and will be able to defend them.

For at home though, I really suggest doing some of it in front of a mirror. A partner and hand pads would be good. Pads are very cheap. Getting someone who knows how to hold the pads though is half the battle.

It's difficult to practice kicks without a bag or a partner.... IMO..

I agree that if you do, you should do the full 365 degree revolution. It only makes sense to continue the motion.. you can practice your back kicks this way.

beat me to it.

I do it 360 for shadow

I used to stop just a bit short of 360 and throw a side kick.

I may add the back kick thanks J

That was some very light sparring, I don't see the problem aside from potential eye-poking.

Idk, every time i spare with someone without pads they always feel the need to one up me and kick me hard or something. idk, do whatever you feel is right for you I suppose.

Idk, every time i spare with someone without pads they always feel the need to one up me and kick me hard or something. idk, do whatever you feel is right for you I suppose.

You need to join a different gym where the trainers will get on their asses more then. Training without pads is supposed to be jut super light contact technique sparring. Usually reserved more for the people that know what they are doing, not just every person that walks in the front door and takes some classes.

Nevermind. If anything come out to Cali and start kicking the redwoods out here. They'll make your legs uber strong and you won't have any bone problems, I promise.

Always follow through, pulling your kick will only develop bad habbits. I like to practice my kicks slow and controlled when I shadow box, slow and hard on thai pads, fast and hard when I spar.

Back