Ways to practice kicking without a thai bag/heavy bag

Say to some little kid on the streets, I'll pay you $50 if you can land 3 punches on me. Then when he accepts kick him all day with teeps, and side kicks.

In all seriousness you can practice kicks in the air or you can make your own pad stand, just buy like a kicking pad, go to home depot and get some pipes and a stand for the pipes, then put the pad over it and kick the stand but you got to put something to support the stand.

I'm sure others will disagree but you should do some privates with a good TKD or Karate coach.

TKD and karate have a lot of leg conditioning drills and kicking technique drills that you can work solo to sharpen your kicking game.

If you want to go super cheap YouTube bill super foot Wallace kicking drills and he has several great videos. He has one that's like 30 min long all done with the assistance of a chair.

If he has, I would like to see his solution.

6y6r03u.gif

Imo, kicking, just like punching, doesn't absolutely NEED a target to hit. Sure, it helps to get the correct technique in (but only if you know what to look for), but if you manage to get the technique right, you don't need a target. The technique in striking is always relaxation and weight distribution.

People who do correct shadow boxing (ie. Cubans, Soviets, bare knuckle boxers from before the 1800s) have no trouble knocking trained fighters down, even though they don't use heavy bags or only use them very sparingly (and not very heavy at all). The "heavy bag" was once about 20 lbs and only became heavier during the last decades.

I can only speak of myself as an example, but I didn't need bag or mitt training to kick "through" Thai mitts or break rocks with my hands. Does it help? Sure, again, if you know what to look for. But it's not absolutely necessary. Also keep in mind that there are lots of boxers or Thai Boxers who really don't have any punching or kicking power in spite of using the bags and mitts, so it's not that easy. It's always about technique.

And to answer your other question: Snap kicks with pull back are down if you wear shoes (see: Le Savate). Follow through kicks are kicks you do when you don't wear shoes (see: Thais). Imo, snappy kicks with shoes hit A LOT harder than the follow through shin kicks.

EDIT: Typos

Back