WCW’s biggest f--- up

The botching of the big Hogan/Sting Starrcade match with the “fast” count was pretty bad, especially considering all the build and how it also made Bret Hart’s debut seem kind of odd.

The botching of the big Hogan/Sting Starrcade match with the “fast” count was pretty bad, especially considering all the build and how it also made Bret Hart’s debut seem kind of odd.

Yeah, fucking up Sting vs Hogan is bad, fucking up Bret Hart's debut is bad...only thing that's worse is FUCKING THEM BOTH UP AT THE SAME FUCING TIME!

should have let Bret go through the NWO and get the belt

guessing that didn’t work for Hogan, brother

should have let Bret go through the NWO and get the belt

guessing that didn’t work for Hogan, brother
You're not wrong.
fingerpoke-of-doom-o.gif

But in honesty, Raven aside and the other things people have mentioned here, Halloween Havoc with Warrior and Hogan was the straw that broke the camel's back imo.

Seriously?? A botched fireball attempt and then Horace fucking "Hogan" with a chair shot after one of the worst matches and angles of all time? That's the payoff after years and years since the amazing Wrestlemania 7 glory? That was brutal.

Warrior's WCW debut was friggin awesome though. Only highlight of that feud. All the hokey horse shit that came afterwards with Hogan seeing Warrior apparitions and such, was akin to Hornswoggle diving into an imaginary wall portal.

Everything has pretty much been touched on already. Mega stars could have easily been born off both Goldberg and Hogan's name, but they floundered in mid-card mediocrity.

Shark jump for me was the nWo WolfPac. Horrid stable.

For all the mistakes this fed made, I wish they won the war and lived on in hind sight. Nothing after post 2000 WWF has appealed to me. Why Eric WHY?!?!?!??!

I was like 7 when NWO shit was popping, Goldberg getting stun gunned and sprayed is a memory I'll never forget.
Think Ultimate Warrior talking in a mirror to Hulk Hogan followed by a Fit Finley match was the first wrestling I ever saw, in the UK that shit started at 10pm after cartoon network ended that's how I discovered it.. I was one of few in my area who preferred WCW for a long time just because I was allowed to stay up late enough to catch it.

We could point to so many moments, it's a wonder they lasted as long as they did.

But damn, we got some good matches and moments on the way!

Last edited:
Maybe not the biggest but Nash beating Goldberg. Goldberg should've kept the belt to Starrcade 99 abd drop it to Scott Steiner.

Hogan/Goldberg on free tv
NWO ran too long with too many guys
Bret Hart debuting as a ref
Vince Russo

They could have still had a "gang" esque feel to the nWo without over saturating the cards with nWo related angles. That was a major problem, aside from giving away big match ups, and flubbing storylines. I remember a few nitros where you would have 4 segments in a row of nWo guys coming out. Complete overkill.

A more condensed nWo while still giving a feel of a large invading stable couldve included.

Hogan, Nash, Hall, Savage (Marquee main event players)
Hennig (Upper Mid)
Norton, Bagwell (midcard tag)
Vincent, Disciple, Elizabeth, (Lackeys/Valets that never compete, just accompany)

Konnan, Crush, The Giant, Stevie Ray, Steiner, et al. should have never been included. Loved Big Poppa Pump, but he didnt need to turn on Rick or join the nWo to roll with that gimmick. Would've provided more variety for the show as well. Then ye got the LWO and Wolfpac added, and it just overwhelmed the senses and watered it all down.

If they wanted a baby face stable to counter the nWo, Sting and Luger could have recruited two members of the roster to elevate just by being associated with them. Could have been a good opportunity for Guerrero and Benoit.

I was like 7 when NWO shit was popping, Goldberg getting stun gunned and sprayed is a memory I'll never forget.
Think Ultimate Warrior talking in a mirror to Hulk Hogan followed by a Fit Finley match was the first wrestling I ever saw, in the UK that shit started at 10pm after cartoon network ended that's how I discovered it.. I was one of few in my area who preferred WCW for a long time just because I was allowed to stay up late enough to catch it.
WCW had the benefit of TNT being on basic satellite and cable packages, whereas the WWF were on premium Sky Sports. I was mostly a WCW guy too, partly due to the cruiserweights and other undercard acts, but also because Vince kept doing shitty things that drove me away. I recall not watching for several years, even after WCW went to shit.

WCW had the benefit of TNT being on basic satellite and cable packages, whereas the WWF were on premium Sky Sports. I was mostly a WCW guy too, partly due to the cruiserweights and other undercard acts, but also because Vince kept doing shitty things that drove me away. I recall not watching for several years, even after WCW went to shit.
I had Sky1 but could only watch on Saturday mornings via that.. Wasn't always easy with WCW being Friday nights, I'd tune into Thunder aswell which usually followed iirc.
Didn't take me long to love both, but WCW will always be my gateway to wrestling..

I don't think anyone gave a shit about them other than ecw fans. I didn't watch ecw and didn't really enjoy the product in the little I saw. therefore, I always saw raven and his flock as nothing more than lower middle card guys. I never would have bought any of them consistently taking on main eventers

Raven himself was fine as an upper mid-card guy, but most of his flock not so much.

Back