Sambo thread!

I love that Kurinnoy demo!

We should also link freestyle sambo rules. Combat Sambo rules are here two, but there are several versions of combat sambo rules. They are basically the same with minor differences:
American Sambo Association | Rules

Definetly.
It's also important to note that according to the FIAS, there is no belt ranking system. There IS a ranking system which has to do with accomplishments in competition and experience in sambo.
Certain ranks give the added "benefit" of being able to be a timekeeper, an assistant judge, a judge, a tournament organizer, and so on. Some ranks are awarded for being a club champion, city champion, national champion, world champion, etc.

FIAS - Ranking System

(click on each rank name to get a description of it)

Some Sambo Associations or clubs use a coloured belt system during training. I've known of coloured belts in the USA, Spain and in Venezuela. This seems to be just a matter of local/internal control, since those belts hold no value for the FIAS, and once they're competing they wear the regular blue/red belt, matching the kurtka.

Some more techniques, from my trainer, Emilio Alonso:

Knee strike to fall-back armbar.
YouTube - Se pas

My understanding is that even FIAS does not really use that ranking system all that much (colors going from black to white). Rudman tried to get it going here in the states, and nobody went for it. But, the Master of Sport rating system is still in use in Russia (and other former soviet nations).

It should also be noted that, while most known, FIAS is not the only sambo organization in Russia. There are several. Though FIAS is obviously the most prominant.

But, you are correct, different organizations, countries and clubs have different standards. The one standard is that there is no universal ranking system in sambo...except the master of sport system (which applies to sports in general, not just sambo).

Hey nice thread

I've always been wondering, since I notice you guys (as in...your team) are competing in a lot of events where it's predominantly BJJ practitioners (i.e. NYC Submission Shootout, NAGA, Grapplers Quest), is it awkward when a BJJ guy comes over to try to learn Sambo since he MIGHT one day be competing for another team at the same event?

I have a dumb Sambo question but I've always been kind of curious so I'll throw myself out there to be flamed for it...

How accurate is Sergei Dragunov's portrayal of Sambo (most likely the Military Flavored variety) in Tekken 5/6?

Yeah, the ranking system exists only on paper. IIRC it was established in 2005, but there's not really a record of who's what rank (other than the various degrees of Master of Sports).

Some events are held and sanctioned by other sambo organizations or associations. That's why sometimes you'll see sport and combat sambo events where the participants wear no headgear, where there's less weight classes, where there's no weight classes, or where they can wear a white kurtka.
Just like in BJJ; not all BJJ events are sanctioned nor organized by the IBJJF.

I have a dumb Sambo question but I've always been kind of curious so I'll throw myself out there to be flamed for it...

How accurate is Sergei Dragunov's portrayal of Sambo (most likely the Military Flavored variety) in Tekken 5/6?

I could say Dragunov's sambo is portrayed as accurately as Sub Zero's shotokan karate in Mortal Kombat.
There is a lot of variation in self-defense/military sambo. In part, because in the russian army, there's no unified system for hand-to-hand combat. The hand-to-hand combat training is delegated to the divisional commander, who may pass on the task to a brigade commander. So that's why in the russian army, some units train tae kwon do, others train kyokushin karate, shotokan, sport sambo, combat sambo, and others train "military sambo".
So over the course of the years of a brigade/division using "military sambo", the sambo they use is tweaked to accomodate the divisional/brigade's needs. After all, sambo is "defense without weapons".
So sometimes you'll see OMON units (kind of a military police) training a "military sambo" that is much more oriented towards restraining (grappling) and disarming, than say, a Spetsnaz unit that performs specialized missions (extraction, anti-terrorist, hostage, etc).
I've seen some people refer to the variant of sambo that the Spetsnaz use, as "Spetsnaz sambo". And for good reason, because they do training you normally won't see in a "regular sambo school" - like ukemi while carrying guns, a knife, fighting in body armour, CQC with guns, etc. Some people say they are "Spetsnaz sambo" instructors. And if they say so because they teach unarmed combat (sambo) to Spetsnaz units, well, you can't really argue with that.

Some people say these specialized forms of sambo look a lot like Systema. I personally think that SOME forms of Systema are very specialized versions of combat sambo. But let's not deal with politics and history (for now!).

These are actual Spetsnaz beating the crap out of each other. You can see they wear sambo kurtka.
YouTube - Spetsnaz "Vitjaz" training

As usual, when it comes to the military, they don't have the same technical level of a professional that trains in the same martial art/sport. Simply because a soldier has to spread his training amongst various skills, and someone who is not in the military can specialize in just hand-to-hand combat. You can't compare one of the guys in the previous video to Fedor Emelianenko and say "that soldier sucks". Just like you can't say X soldier that trains Army Combatives "sucks" when you compare him to Vitor Belfort.

Hey nice thread

I've always been wondering, since I notice you guys (as in...your team) are competing in a lot of events where it's predominantly BJJ practitioners (i.e. NYC Submission Shootout, NAGA, Grapplers Quest), is it awkward when a BJJ guy comes over to try to learn Sambo since he MIGHT one day be competing for another team at the same event?

Not at all. we have had guys cross train with us, and we see them at events. No big deal. we are all friends. No egos. It only serves to make you a better grapplers.

Yeah, the ranking system exists only on paper. IIRC it was established in 2005, but there's not really a record of who's what rank (other than the various degrees of Master of Sports).

Some events are held and sanctioned by other sambo organizations or associations. That's why sometimes you'll see sport and combat sambo events where the participants wear no headgear, where there's less weight classes, where there's no weight classes, or where they can wear a white kurtka.
Just like in BJJ; not all BJJ events are sanctioned nor organized by the IBJJF.

I could say Dragunov's sambo is portrayed as accurately as Sub Zero's shotokan karate in Mortal Kombat.

There is a lot of variation in self-defense/military sambo. In part, because in the russian army, there's no unified system for hand-to-hand combat. The hand-to-hand combat training is delegated to the divisional commander, who may pass on the task to a brigade commander. So that's why in the russian army, some units train tae kwon do, others train kyokushin karate, shotokan, sport sambo, combat sambo, and others train "military sambo".

So over the course of the years of a brigade/division using "military sambo", the sambo they use is tweaked to accomodate the divisional/brigade's needs. After all, sambo is "defense without weapons".

So sometimes you'll see OMON units (kind of a military police) training a "military sambo" that is much more oriented towards restraining (grappling) and disarming, than say, a Spetsnaz unit that performs specialized missions (extraction, anti-terrorist, hostage, etc).

I've seen some people refer to the variant of sambo that the Spetsnaz use, as "Spetsnaz sambo". And for good reason, because they do training you normally won't see in a "regular sambo school" - like ukemi while carrying guns, a knife, fighting in body armour, CQC with guns, etc. Some people say they are "Spetsnaz sambo" instructors. And if they say so because they teach unarmed combat (sambo) to Spetsnaz units, well, you can't really argue with that.

Some people say these specialized forms of sambo look a lot like Systema. I personally think that SOME forms of Systema are very specialized versions of combat sambo. But let's not deal with politics and history (for now!).

These are actual Spetsnaz beating the crap out of each other. You can see they wear sambo kurtka.
YouTube - Spetsnaz "Vitjaz" training

As usual, when it comes to the military, they don't have the same technical level of a professional that trains in the same martial art/sport. Simply because a soldier has to spread his training amongst various skills, and someone who is not in the military can specialize in just hand-to-hand combat. You can't compare one of the guys in the previous video to Fedor Emelianenko and say "that soldier sucks". Just like you can't say X soldier that trains Army Combatives "sucks" when you compare him to Vitor Belfort.

Agreed...especially about the systema/combat sambo comment...but enough on that.

I have some great video from some military base fight clubs. But, I have to transfer it from VHS. Eventually, I will get it up here. Some great fights on there...kurtka, no kurtka, gi, no-gi, fatigues, no fatigues...just plain fighting. Some is pretty brutal.

Cool video, made me think about a lot of moves I've been doing and learning recently again (i.e. why a certain move is done the way it is)

Do you guys use the Broken scarfhold often? I notice that most Judo or Sambo vids show just the "standard" Scarfhold

Cool video, made me think about a lot of moves I've been doing and learning recently again (i.e. why a certain move is done the way it is)

Do you guys use the Broken scarfhold often? I notice that most Judo or Sambo vids show just the "standard" Scarfhold

I use it if I end up there naturally, but it is not my favored position.

The thing that i feel refreshing about sambo as compared to judo is that I was shocked at the ammount of limitations/restrictions that judo has on the stand up game. You cant use certain grips, you can't grip a certain grip for more than x amount of seconds. Can't grab the pants, can't do this... As far as i know, sambo doesn't have those restrictions. And that's refreshing.

I really, really wish there was a place to train sambo near by me.

Could see this being a sticky as well.

I agree we can't have stickies for everything, but sambo/judo stickies would be nice. BJJ being the meat and potatoes of this forum, with judo and sambo as seasoning.

This thread has educated me a lot on sambo. I wanna say thanks to sambosteve and everyone else who has contributed. I don't see a reason why this can't be a sticky, although I sort of see what the mods are saying.

My pleasure :)

Ahhh...sambo is just a flavor of the month :icon_chee No need for a sticky.

Back