Sambo thread!

:icon_conf How deep is sambo or combat sambo in eastern Euro at the moment? What about during the soviet era?

During the soviet era, there were not that many international combat sambo tournaments.
Sport sambo was big even then though.
Most countries in East Europe will have judo/ wrestling/ sambo schools as part of government sponsored sport centers.

During the soviet era, there were not that many international combat sambo tournaments.
Sport sambo was big even then though.
Most countries in East Europe will have judo/ wrestling/ sambo schools as part of government sponsored sport centers.

That I can understand, but under the Soviet era, was sambo or combat sambo taught in the military, and was military service compulsory?

That I can understand, but under the Soviet era, was sambo or combat sambo taught in the military, and was military service compulsory?

The only people I know, who were training combat sambo in Bulgaria, during the Cold War, were military and law enforcement.
I started with sport sambo and I wasn't aware of any school teaching combat sambo to general population.

The only people I know, who were training combat sambo in Bulgaria, during the Cold War, were military and law enforcement.
I started with sport sambo and I wasn't aware of any school teaching combat sambo to general population.

Was military service compulsory for you, or were too young? Were not all the male adults, around you, in the military at some point and trained combat sambo?

Was military service compulsory for you, or were too young? Were not all the male adults, around you, in the military at some point and trained combat sambo?

Yes, it was.
The army training for private Ivan during that time, would be basic hand to hand combat, with some weapon training (infantry shovels, for example).
Combat sambo would be reserved for people who had time for it and were practicing full on 24/7, aka some sort of spetsnaz or anti- terrorist squads.

Yes, it was.
The army training for private Ivan during that time, would be basic hand to hand combat, with some weapon training (infantry shovels, for example).
Combat sambo would be reserved for people who had time for it and were practicing full on 24/7, aka some sort of spetsnaz or anti- terrorist squads.

Did you pick up sambo before or after the military?

[YT]watch?v=AMFfIEINoAw[/YT]

[YT]watch?v=KzRA5G75lKw[/YT]

I bought some sambo shorts from Russia so I looked the part at sambo training. I'm pretty sure they're in cm and not inches so I basically bought children's shorts. Fml.

I bought some sambo shorts from Russia so I looked the part at sambo training. I'm pretty sure they're in cm and not inches so I basically bought children's shorts. Fml.

Yep. Russia and most of the world use the metric system :icon_chee

Last edited:
Can we ask questions about Sambo itt? I'm a noob jiujiteiro, but always looking for new angles and stuff for my takedown game. Was referred to Geoff Thompson's brief "Sombo" book due to the fact I often work from a single leg grab while standing, and there is a takedown in there called the "single leg pickup body drop" which appears to be consistent with some other things I am training. What I want to know is; where would I look for video footage of the throw to get some deeper insight into it alongside of my tooling around with it with a partner and trying to hit during rolling? I have typed the name Geoff Thompson gives it into YT but no luck; perhaps it is usually called something else...

Thanks.

Can we ask questions about Sambo itt? I'm a noob jiujiteiro, but always looking for new angles and stuff for my takedown game. Was referred to Geoff Thompson's brief "Sombo" book due to the fact I often work from a single leg grab while standing, and there is a takedown in there called the "single leg pickup body drop" which appears to be consistent with some other things I am training. What I want to know is; where would I look for video footage of the throw to get some deeper insight into it alongside of my tooling around with it with a partner and trying to hit during rolling? I have typed the name Geoff Thompson gives it into YT but no luck; perhaps it is usually called something else...

Thanks.

Is that just the Palhares style high crotch lift?

Is that just the Palhares style high crotch lift?

Not actually sure, I'll have to look up the Palhares one.

EDIT: No, I don't think so. It looks kind of like an o goshi only instead of grabbing the other guy's back he's scooping the leg up at the knee, from the outside. And then finishing using your leg kind of like how you use it in a tai otoshi. At least that's as best I can make it out from the book... Hence why I'd like to find some video of it.

Or actually, maybe it's just basically a tai otoshi while holding one leg...

Thanks.

Throws in sambo are not as much systematically named, like in judo or wrestling. In general, they are divided by direction of the throw, method and use of body part (such as "forward leg trip", which could be a name for 10 different throws).
I wrote a short article on the subject Throws for BJJ few months ago.
You can find it here:

http://yagadome.com/best-takedowns-for-bjj-part-ii/

Back