Sambo thread!

Quick review of the Vlad Koulikov clinic I went to over the weekend, I'll post it here since this is probably the thread where people would be most interested:

Part 1, Gi Technique:

All focused on the Georgian grip. Vlad showed a number of ways to get to the grip (including one I'd never seen but really like involving a wave like snapping action with your lapel hand), and then went through an attack chain series before showing a couple counters and how to deal with the counters. He put a lot of emphasis on footwork and movement, which liked very much. He also showed some really nice transitions into submission if your opponent drop to his knees to avoid the throw. One thing he did the whole clinic which I like very much was noting how to modify what he was showing slightly for different rule sets. He was focused mostly on Sambo of course, but as a guy who primarily competes in BJJ it was helpful for him to point out small modifications to avoid things like back takes after the throw. His details on transitions to different control positions on the mat were very useful.

Part 2, No-gi Technique:

This was a little more of a mixed bag. Vlad started with some over/under clinching stuff with both direct attack series and transitions to double under. As someone with little Greco exposure I found it very useful. After the clinch stuff we went into some mat work looking at a choke from a power half, a leg lock off a failed torreando pass, backstep kneebars and a calf slice against kneebar defense, and finally a submission series from scarf hold. The leg lock stuff was very useful, and the calf slice against triangled legs was something I'd not see but actually solves a very specific problem in my game so I was really happy to see it.

Overall it was a fun clinic, I've been around a lot of grappling arts for a long time so I'm not really looking for stuff I've never seen but rather to pick up some refinements that make my game more effective and I definitely got that. I also admired Vlad's approach to grappling a lot, I didn't get the sense he cared all that much about any specific rule set and he struck me as a guy who could compete at a pretty high level in any wrestling discipline, Sambo, BJJ, or Judo as needed. That sort of universal approach is something I personally aspire to so having a seminar oriented towards that kind of grappling was good. He's also a pretty funny dude and his English is excellent (he's been in the US for a while), so there were no translation or clarity issues at all. I even picked up a few really good warmup exercises which I'll use in my own teaching going forward. It was well worth the price and in fact ended up going way over time as Vlad just kept showing stuff in response to questions. I'd go back.

You're telling me. It's a really vague naming system, which tends to limit Sambo comprehension to "what techniques you train" in stark contrast to Japanese or Brazilian JJ where everything has an assigned config.

Basically, if you're training Sambo and want to learn new techniques, focus on the part of the body manipulated, the physical steps towards that manipulation, plus finishing posture (where you end up) - names come and go, but training makes moves permanent. I guarentee you that Sambo fighters have go-to moves that they can't name, but they can demonstrate and describe. You see some of that overlap in mid-transition moves for freestyle wrestling -- not all wrestlers and/or UFC fighters can tell you what it's called, but they can show you physically where they prefer to go.

My sambo coach in London and I just use the judo terms for the techniques that have judo names. He is also a judo champion so that helps, but I too had trouble with the actual names of sambo techniques until we went fuck it and just used the judo terminlogy, it's not as easy for the more catch wrestling style moves though

when did sambo and combat sambo begin to export itself to places outside of Russia? Like when did it go to Bulgaria, and Kazakhstan, or Western Europe, and USA. Do they have sambo and combat sambo in Cuba, or other countries with a strong communist presence that received support from USSRs

when did sambo and combat sambo begin to export itself to places outside of Russia? Like when did it go to Bulgaria, and Kazakhstan, or Western Europe, and USA. Do they have sambo and combat sambo in Cuba, or other countries with a strong communist presence that received support from USSRs
I dont really know which year sambo came to Bulgaria, but I believe in the 70s it was already practiced widely in the big sport clubs.
Although, at the time, sambo was a style of wrestling and it was under the jurisdiction of the wrestling federation of Bulgaria. After repeated medaling at the very high level, Bulgaria was recognized as a country with its own style and school of sambo.
In Western Europe sambo was spread after the Cold War.
I believe Cuba doesnt have a sambo team, but they just send their judo or wrestling players to compete in international events.

First of all, Kazakhstan was part of the Soviet Union.

Sambo started spreading internationally after WWII with students from Eastern Europe studying in Soviet universities. In 1957 first sambo federation formed abroad in Bulgaria.

I wish I continued to train in Sambo, but I am happy with wrestling and judo, I still keep in contact with my coaches in Russia, and will visit them when I go back to home. But I am more engaged with wrestling than anything else.

I haven't followed sambo in a long time

I wish I continued to train in Sambo, but I am happy with wrestling and judo, I still keep in contact with my coaches in Russia, and will visit them when I go back to home. But I am more engaged with wrestling than anything else.

I haven't followed sambo in a long time
I did some Sambo in Canada and loved it but sadly is not popular here so focus everything in Judo, a wrestling friiend invites me to his city but is too far , is less popular than Judo but I want to learn some before getting older haha-
These guys from Russia started to do a really good stuff for Sambo and Combat Sambo Tutorials. First hand from Russian sambists, and it's all in English. They also publish some Sambo for BJJ and MMA videos. Give it a check fellows! That's a link to their YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/battlebeetle
And here are some videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teAv2mejQ6U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkFznstE0hI

This is really awesome, I follow some russian channels but sadly they don´t write in english haha so with this I´ll be able to follow better. Thank{s-

When are you coming to NYC? Or where are you going to be?
I will be in US from May 20th to end of June, then Brazil, then back to the states until mid August.
Have confirmed some of the locations and will update the information as soon as we have the whole schedule for seminars and training camps

I will be in US from May 20th to end of June, then Brazil, then back to the states until mid August.
Have confirmed some of the locations and will update the information as soon as we have the whole schedule for seminars and training camps

Wow you go to Brazil ...i wish you could come to my country but honestly is full of fakes here xD ---

Doing a seminar right? When?
Detailed schedule will be updated when I confirm my tickets. Have a 3 months trip to plan, together with all international events of FICW, so most probably around January will know for sure.

Back