Sambo thread!

Your gym is exactly what I am looking for but Kent is so far for me :(

EDIT: I just read that it's Belvedere! So sorry, do you run weekend classes?

Yeah its in that tricky zone where its technically kent but it also London.

I'll inbox you, because I don't feel comfortable sharing all the details of the gym in a public forum :)

Sambo seems like a mixture of judo and wrestling standing up
It seems like a great marial art and the good thing is there's combat sambo. It'd be awsome if it was so much more popular

It seems like a great marial art and the good thing is there's combat sambo. It'd be awsome if it was so much more popular
Yes, you're right. I know that the USA produced a world champion, but it is really difficult to find a good sambo school outside of the ex soviet countries (namely Georgia and Russia as they are both strong in Judo too). It is a strong background if you want to start mma as it does have leg attacks (unlike Judo), however as with most throws, it is still difficult to execute nogi throwing techniques.

Yes, you're right. I know that the USA produced a world champion, but it is really difficult to find a good sambo school outside of the ex soviet countries (namely Georgia and Russia as they are both strong in Judo too). It is a strong background if you want to start mma as it does have leg attacks (unlike Judo), however as with most throws, it is still difficult to execute nogi throwing techniques.
Judo does do leg attacks, i've been taught them

I hope this hasnt been posted.

You are allowed to headbutt. I did not know.

My coach, Steve Smith, was a world champion for the US in sambo. Steve Nelson was on the same national team as him--and I believe some other names. He posted a photo of the "old days" on Facebook and there were a number of guys I recognized, I think.

Its funny--in a single session, he taught me stuff about leglocks that I will never forget. And also taught me things about grappling in general in a way where I didn't always realize at the time how much I was getting.

At the gym I was training at, there were a lot of young guys that, like me, spent a lot of time lifting weights and loved grappling and basically thought that we were big shots. Coach Steve, with his gray hair, glasses and easy manner, would anihilate all of us on the mat. I think there are about 3 people I can think of who were as functionally strong as him.

BTW--I think there have been a few sambo world champs from the US, though of course, mostly I just know about Coach Steve.

Aw sucks, how come

Happened a long, long time ago in the earlier part of the 20th century. You know, judo puts a premium on safety and on moves you can use with full force in randori without maiming. The idea being that moves you can't train in a live setting due to safety concerns are also moves you will never really be able to execute to perfection.

You can see Mifune demonstrating judo leglocks on Youtube if you look it up. They also banned the flying scissor take-down in the 80's when their biggest star at the time got injured by the move.

I just saw sambo in a random Dove commercial, it was cool to see.

Does anybody knows about a nice place to train Georgia (country) . I was going to Russia´s World Cup but my country didn´t make it so I am thinking into a warrior trip.
Thank´s in advance.

PD: I wrote this in another thread too , I wrote here Sambo place but can be judo or wrestling place too.
My coach, Steve Smith, was a world champion for the US in sambo. Steve Nelson was on the same national team as him--and I believe some other names. He posted a photo of the "old days" on Facebook and there were a number of guys I recognized, I think.

Its funny--in a single session, he taught me stuff about leglocks that I will never forget. And also taught me things about grappling in general in a way where I didn't always realize at the time how much I was getting.

At the gym I was training at, there were a lot of young guys that, like me, spent a lot of time lifting weights and loved grappling and basically thought that we were big shots. Coach Steve, with his gray hair, glasses and easy manner, would anihilate all of us on the mat. I think there are about 3 people I can think of who were as functionally strong as him.

BTW--I think there have been a few sambo world champs from the US, though of course, mostly I just know about Coach Steve.
I know that situation and is very good for young guys.

Does anybody knows about a nice place to train Georgia (country) . I was going to Russia´s World Cup but my country didn´t make it so I am thinking into a warrior trip.
Thank´s in advance.

PD: I wrote this in another thread too , I wrote here Sambo place but can be judo or wrestling place too.

I know that situation and is very good for young guys.
I have no doubt that there will be good clubs throughout Georgia. It is kind of funny though.. all of their best athletes and judoka/wrestlers are all at different clubs in other cities, which is usually the opposite in the USA etc. But if you go to Tbilisi, you could try and find Petriashvili's club or others. You have a good choice though, so many of them are European champions, world medalists, olympic medalists... and so on.

I have no doubt that there will be good clubs throughout Georgia. It is kind of funny though.. all of their best athletes and judoka/wrestlers are all at different clubs in other cities, which is usually the opposite in the USA etc. But if you go to Tbilisi, you could try and find Petriashvili's club or others. You have a good choice though, so many of them are European champions, world medalists, olympic medalists... and so on.
Thank you, I´ll go in shape but of course I am nowhere at european level so I hope they accept all levels.

5x Sambo World Champion Marina Moxnatkina in her latest MMA fight.
<yt>)
She needs to work a lot on her striking, but with her grappling, she's smashing all her opponents quite easily.
I wonder if the UFC will eventually sign her.

Back