Sambo thread!

Excellent thread! :)

I was researching some people that I could find in the state of North Carolina to train Sambo with... (excuse my ignorance if this is about to be a stupid question)... have you ever heard of Monty Hendrix? and if so, would he be good to train under?

They're cousins. Ron started his judo career at my club.

Ahhhhhh....ha! I was wondering that for the longest time. Everytime I see the name "Tripp", I think of Ron Tripp. May I ask which club you call your own?

Excellent thread! :)

I was researching some people that I could find in the state of North Carolina to train Sambo with... (excuse my ignorance if this is about to be a stupid question)... have you ever heard of Monty Hendrix? and if so, would he be good to train under?

Monty is a member of our association and a good martial artists, but not a trained sambist. He supports the ASA and what we do, but has not trained sambo formally at this point. We have talked regularly about training methods, etc, and he has adopted some of our suggestions.

Anyone know of a Sambo school in or around Fort Wayne, Indiana?

I'll support the stickying of this thread when us South Floridians get a Sambo Club in the Miami area!

Since this is the de facto 'Ask SamboSteve Thread', I have a question:

I was reading Mark Law's judo memoir Falling Hard, and in it he briefly discusses Oshchepkov's Concept of Permanent Combat in sambo. Can you go into more detail about this concept and how it is applied?

I was reading Mark Law's judo memoir Falling Hard, and in it he briefly discusses Oshchepkov's Concept of Permanent Combat in sambo. Can you go into more detail about this concept and how it is applied?

Not sure unless I see the actual contaxt of what he wrote. Not sure what he meant...

I have read the book and I found it a great read. To answer your question as to what Oshchepkov was referring to is that in tradition judo there were gaps between actions. What this means is that after an attack if the opponent blocks the attack there was usually a momentary pause in the action. What Oshchepkov wanted was a constant barrage of attacks meaning if one technique failed you would immediately attack with a follow up technique or transistion to the ground. This is why Law said that when the Soviet's first entered international judo competitions in the 1960's it forced everyone to raise their level of fitness due to constant barrage of attacks.

On a side note during my first trips to the then Soviet Union in the late 80's. I felt as though I was getting mugged. One attack after the other with unorthrodox grips and throws. It was very difficult to recover.

Hope this helps.

there was a sambo seminar in Concord.

i still kick myself for missing it.

Dear Sambosteve,

When is your next DVD coming out? (Sorry if this has already been asked/answered!)

Dear Sambosteve,

When is your next DVD coming out? (Sorry if this has already been asked/answered!)

I have one in production, but my broken leg kind of stalled it a bit. But, should be done in a few months.

just stumbled on this
James Chico Hernandez - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

man that guy is some serious multi-athlete

oh and steve not a bad list of people to be named alongside
Other notable practitioners

* Gokor Chivichyan
* Stephen Koepfer, president of the American Sambo Association, he holds a Master of Sport in Combat Sambo from Russia.
* Alexey Oleinik, Russian mixed martial artist, and sport Sambo competitor
* Artemij Sitenkov, Lithuanian world combat Sambo representative, and mixed martial artist
* Ibragim Magomedov, a Russian mixed martial artist.
* Victor Nemkov, Russian World Cup champion, and emerging mixed martial artist .
* Oleg Taktarov, UFC 6 Champion, UFC '95 Ultimate Ultimate Tournament finalist, and actor.
* Megumi Fujii, a currently undefeated female MMA fighter. She is known as the "Princess of Sambo."
* Sergei Kharitonov, a former PRIDE Fighting Championship competitor.
* Satoko Shinashi, an accomplished Japanese mixed martial arts competitor often called the "Queen of MMA."
* Oleg Prudius, a Ukrainian professional wrestler currently performing on WWE's RAW Brand, has experience in Sambo among other martial arts.
* Vladimir Putin, Former President and current Prime Minister of the Russian Federation, is Master of Sports in both Sambo and judo.
* Professional wrestler Dave Taylor was a Sambo champion[citation needed] in England and is a third-generation[citation needed] practitioner of the sport.
* Volk Han, J

just stumbled on this
James Chico Hernandez - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

man that guy is some serious multi-athlete

oh and steve not a bad list of people to be named alongside
Other notable practitioners

* Gokor Chivichyan
* Stephen Koepfer, president of the American Sambo Association, he holds a Master of Sport in Combat Sambo from Russia.
* Alexey Oleinik, Russian mixed martial artist, and sport Sambo competitor
* Artemij Sitenkov, Lithuanian world combat Sambo representative, and mixed martial artist
* Ibragim Magomedov, a Russian mixed martial artist.
* Victor Nemkov, Russian World Cup champion, and emerging mixed martial artist .
* Oleg Taktarov, UFC 6 Champion, UFC '95 Ultimate Ultimate Tournament finalist, and actor.
* Megumi Fujii, a currently undefeated female MMA fighter. She is known as the "Princess of Sambo."
* Sergei Kharitonov, a former PRIDE Fighting Championship competitor.
* Satoko Shinashi, an accomplished Japanese mixed martial arts competitor often called the "Queen of MMA."
* Oleg Prudius, a Ukrainian professional wrestler currently performing on WWE's RAW Brand, has experience in Sambo among other martial arts.
* Vladimir Putin, Former President and current Prime Minister of the Russian Federation, is Master of Sports in both Sambo and judo.
* Professional wrestler Dave Taylor was a Sambo champion[citation needed] in England and is a third-generation[citation needed] practitioner of the sport.
* Volk Han, J

Yeah, gotta give Chico credit...still competing to this day (in his 50s).
Thanks, I saw myself there a while back...wondered who put me up on Wiki. I am not really in the league of most of those guys.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NiTrok
Back