Sambo thread!

Every time I go to sleep I have a dream that a Sambo gym opens in Philadelphia.
I believe thats where the US Sambo national team trains. Club name was Liberty Judo or something like that

I believe thats where the US Sambo national team trains. Club name was Liberty Judo or something like that
Yeah when I first moved here I learned that place is far from the city. But some say it is possible to find Sambo in the eastern european part of philly.

Yeah when I first moved here I learned that place is far from the city. But some say it is possible to find Sambo in the eastern european part of philly.
Im not in US, but I know there were a few places with Sambo in Philadelphia.
If there are eastern europeans there, definitely should have a sambo/ judo/ wrestling gym.

Im not in US, but I know there were a few places with Sambo in Philadelphia.
If there are eastern europeans there, definitely should have a sambo/ judo/ wrestling gym.
I'll take any info that you have brother.

Are you talking about reilly bodycomb or whatever that guys name is? His DVDs are good but I've never considered him a sambo player because he is from the US. Most "sambo" americans have some grudge against jiu jitsu, probably because the sport has so many douchebags with giant egos. It's the same shit you can call a technique a sambo throw a judo throw a jiu-jitsu throw it doesn't really matter.

I've always been tempted to do Sambo for 6 months to a year just to learn, get the basics, and be more familiar. It's a martial art I respect because of the results I've observed in others, but I've never tried it myself and know very little.

Are you talking about reilly bodycomb or whatever that guys name is? His DVDs are good but I've never considered him a sambo player because he is from the US. Most "sambo" americans have some grudge against jiu jitsu, probably because the sport has so many douchebags with giant egos. It's the same shit you can call a technique a sambo throw a judo throw a jiu-jitsu throw it doesn't really matter.
I think you can usually tell what grappling art someone reps by A. Looking at who they've trained under, and B. looking at their skill set and comparing it to the rules of that arts competitions.

So are we saying that if you're from the US, you can't "really" be a Sambo player?
I feel like identifying a "true" sambo grappler is tough just bc of the nature and relatively recent widespread competetive history of sambo. Its an art that is a combination of other arts and has only had an established platform for competition for a relatively short period of time. So the vast majority of sambo players have at least as much experience with wrestling, judo, or even a striking art (if we're including combat sambo). Maybe as time goes by we'll see guys who have done only/primarily sambo but the nature of martial arts, the emergence of MMA as a proving ground, and the new enlightenment of martial artists who know u have to crosstrain will make that unlikely.

why would anyone care this much about being labelled judo or sambo

do you think mysterious martial arts are better?

I wish there were more combat sambo schools in the United States. There is one "sambo" school around my area but it's actually more of a judo school and it's not combat sambo. I think most gyms advertised as MMA schools don't train the "mixed" aspect of MMA---they just train each discipline individually. I feel like combat sambo would be pretty popular here as it would fill that vacuum.

I have so much respect for sambo ,I wish it was more well known it takes blood grit and guts to make it anywhere in the sport it's a shame that's there's very few facilities stateside :/

Oh, the benefits of living in Russia... In St. Petersburg, I think there are around 7 clubs in total + more smaller, lesser-known clubs. There is a nice club around 20 mins from me by subway.

Im not really sure if its ok to post here for seminars, but since a lot of people asked me, here it is:
I have confirmed my flight dates and the first seminar is scheduled for 23rd of October, at NYCS:

Thanks for the very informative thread

In case someone missed it, FIAS is adding chokes to Sport Sambo as well.
Last weekend was held experimental championship and results brought the chokes as common submission method as the armbars and ankle locks.
It seems they will experiment a bit more, before accepting it fully in competitions.
Another change is throw scoring.

Also, here is short version of the seminar I did in New York Combat Sambo last month:

Back