Weak jab?

Practical Goat

Knowledge Seeker
@White
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've been boxing for 4 months now, I know that isn't long enough to gauge anything in stone but my jab is shocking. It starts off OK but then begins to fatigue really fast through the rounds (even the first!) when on pads.. Towards the end I'm barely tapping my coaches pad.

I've been doing weighted exercises (just doing 1,2,1,2....) in the mirror and resistance band exercises. I'm asking because I've got a dodgy rotator cuff in that shoulder, the surgeon said he wasn't quite sure if he could see a problem when I had it x-rayed and the only way was for him to go in and have a look! I opted out until I knew for definite it needed surgery. Could a rotator cuff injury cause the fatigue regardless of how much I try strengthen it? My power and speed have come on with everything else (well a lot better than my jab) but my jab is exactly the same as it was on day one! Probably thinking too much into it but it's really frustrating me!

Just any advice really would help.

I'm no expert on the subject, I've had shoulder/rotator cuff problems from pitching when I was a kid but it didn't really affect my right hand that I noticed. That being said shoulder problems aren't gonna help you any, that's for sure.

Also make sure you're doing everything technically correct, punching comes from the legs up so try to pay attention to that aspect, I guess. Like I said I'm no expert here, you'll get better answers in the stand up forum. Also how is your hook, I'd assume with a rotator cuff problem that could make your hook even weaker than your jab? Probably more painful/damaging too, I would assume.

My first though is that you are to tense in the upper back, neck, and shoulders. I feel that is the biggest factor with exhaustion problems for people new to boxing and combat sports.

It seems counter intuitive at first, But they best thing a fighter can do is learn how to be completely relax and maintain their breathing.

Maybe switch stances and throw some jabs from the other shoulder. Then you should know if the reason is your bad shoulder.

I'm no expert on the subject, I've had shoulder/rotator cuff problems from pitching when I was a kid but it didn't really affect my right hand that I noticed. That being said shoulder problems aren't gonna help you any, that's for sure.

Also make sure you're doing everything technically correct, punching comes from the legs up so try to pay attention to that aspect, I guess. Like I said I'm no expert here, you'll get better answers in the stand up forum. Also how is your hook, I'd assume with a rotator cuff problem that could make your hook even weaker than your jab? Probably more painful/damaging too, I would assume.

Lead hook is my best punch. Very comfortable with it and am able to generate some decent power. My jab couldn't push a cat off a work top though.

My first though is that you are to tense in the upper back, neck, and shoulders. I feel that is the biggest factor with exhaustion problems for people new to boxing and combat sports.

It seems counter intuitive at first, But they best thing a fighter can do is learn how to be completely relax and maintain their breathing.

Good advice! I think loosening up your shoulders comes with time, most boxers are very stiff when they are at the novice stage

Hi guys,

I've been boxing for 4 months now, I know that isn't long enough to gauge anything in stone but my jab is shocking. It starts off OK but then begins to fatigue really fast through the rounds (even the first!) when on pads.. Towards the end I'm barely tapping my coaches pad.

I've been doing weighted exercises (just doing 1,2,1,2....) in the mirror and resistance band exercises. I'm asking because I've got a dodgy rotator cuff in that shoulder, the surgeon said he wasn't quite sure if he could see a problem when I had it x-rayed and the only way was for him to go in and have a look! I opted out until I knew for definite it needed surgery. Could a rotator cuff injury cause the fatigue regardless of how much I try strengthen it? My power and speed have come on with everything else (well a lot better than my jab) but my jab is exactly the same as it was on day one! Probably thinking too much into it but it's really frustrating me!

Too early to worry about that imo. The way I improved my jab and left hook was hours upon hours on the bag and shadow boxing. How I throw a jab and hook are completely different to the 1st year of boxing! That was down to improved technique. Proper technique will also stop your shoulders fatiguing. It seems to me your shoulders are working harder than they need to be

Too early to worry about that imo. The way I improved my jab and left hook was hours upon hours on the bag and shadow boxing. How I throw a jab and hook are completely different to the 1st year of boxing! That was down to improved technique. Proper technique will also stop your shoulders fatiguing. It seems to me your shoulders are working harder than they need to be

Yeah! I definitely feel like my shoulder has fatigued and I can't hold my arm up any longer. I'll look into that and try relax a bit more! Thanks for clearing the contact lenses thread up as well Jonny Ninja. Still couldn't find a definitive answer on google.

Cheers guys.

Good advice! I think loosening up your shoulders comes with time, most boxers are very stiff when they are at the novice stage

Stretching helps a lot as well. I do 15-20 minutes of yoga/stretching before bed.

Hi guys,

Why are you asking people on a boxing message board, just do your own research online and just see another Doctor.Then ask him or her about this you don't know these people and you might make it worse.
tumblr_o346qlPhk21uofr2ko10_500.gif

weirddoll.gif

tumblr_meiy97qFRo1ro2d43.gif

picgifs-doctor-who-7585830.gif

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/rotator-cuff-injury/diagnosis-treatment/drc-20350231
Diagnosis

During the physical exam, your doctor will press on different parts of your shoulder and move your arm into different positions. He or she will also test the strength of the muscles around your shoulder and in your arms.

In some cases, he or she may recommend imaging tests, such as:

• X-rays. Although a rotator cuff tear won't show up on an X-ray, this test can visualize bone spurs or other potential causes for your pain — such as arthritis.
  • Ultrasound. This type of test uses sound waves to produce images of structures within your body, particularly soft tissues such as muscles and tendons. It allows dynamic testing, assessing the structures of your shoulder as they move. It also allows a quick comparison between the affected shoulder and the healthy shoulder.
  • Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). This technology uses radio waves and a strong magnet. The images obtained display all structures of the shoulder in great detail. The quality of the images depends greatly on the quality of the equipment used.
ortho-rotator-cuff-mri-8col.ashx

MRI of torn rotator cuff

Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) can reveal the existence and severity of rotator cuff tears.

Treatment
Conservative treatments — such as rest, ice and physical therapy — sometimes are all that's needed to recover from a rotator cuff injury. If your injury is severe and involves a complete tear of the muscle or tendon, you might need surgery.

Injections
If conservative treatments haven't reduced your pain, your doctor might recommend a steroid injection into your shoulder joint, especially if the pain is interfering with your sleep, daily activities or exercise. While such shots are often helpful, they should be used judiciously, as they can contribute to weakening of the tendon.

Therapy
Physical therapy exercises can help restore flexibility and strength to your shoulder after a rotator cuff injury. Sometimes it is possible to eliminate pain and restore function without surgery.

Surgery
Many different types of surgeries are available for rotator cuff injuries, including arthroscopic tendon repair, open tendon repair, bone spur removal, tendon transfer and shoulder replacement.

• Arthroscopic rotator cuff repair
Arthroscopic tendon repair
In this procedure, surgeons insert a tiny camera (arthroscope) and tools through small incisions to reattach the torn tendon to the bone. Arthroscopic tendon repair can provide restoration of the patient's normal anatomy with a relatively pain-free procedure.

• Open repair of rotator cuff
Open tendon repair
In some situations, an open tendon repair may be a better option. In these types of surgeries, your surgeon works through a larger incision to reattach the damaged tendon to the bone. Open tendon repairs typically have a longer recovery time than that seen with more minimally invasive procedures done arthroscopically.

Bone spur removal
If an overgrowth of bone is irritating your rotator cuff, this excess bone can be removed and the damaged portion of the tendon can be smoothed. This procedure is often performed using arthroscopy, where a fiber-optic camera and special tools are inserted through tiny incisions.

Tendon transfer
If the torn tendon is too damaged to be reattached to the arm bone, surgeons may decide to use a nearby tendon as a replacement.

• Reverse shoulder replacement
Shoulder replacement
Massive rotator cuff injuries may require shoulder replacement surgery. To improve the artificial joint's stability, an innovative procedure (reverse shoulder arthroplasty) installs the ball part of the artificial joint onto the shoulder blade and the socket part onto the arm bone.

Home exercises after rotator cuff surgery
Request an Appointment at Mayo Clinic
Clinical trials
Explore Mayo Clinic studies testing new treatments, interventions and tests as a means to prevent, detect, treat or manage this disease.

Lifestyle and home remedies
A minor injury often heals on its own, with proper care. If you think you've injured your rotator cuff, try these steps:

• Rest your shoulder. Stop doing what caused the pain and try to avoid painful movements. Limit heavy lifting or overhead activity until your shoulder pain subsides.
  • Apply ice and heat. Putting ice on your shoulder helps reduce inflammation and pain. Use a cold pack for 15 to 20 minutes every three or four hours. After a few days, when the pain and inflammation have improved, hot packs or a heating pad may help relax tightened and sore muscles.
  • Take pain relievers. Over-the-counter pain relievers such as ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin IB), naproxen sodium (Aleve) or acetaminophen (Tylenol, others) may be helpful.
Preparing for your appointment
You'll probably start by seeing your family doctor. If your injury is severe, you might be referred to an orthopedic surgeon. If you've been treated for a similar problem in the past, you may need to bring past records and imaging studies with you to your appointment.

What you can do
Before the appointment, you might want to write a list that answers the following questions:

• When did you first begin experiencing shoulder pain?
  • What movements and activities worsen your shoulder pain?
  • Have you ever injured your shoulder?
  • Have you experienced any symptoms in addition to shoulder pain?
  • Does the pain travel down your arm below your elbow?
  • Is the shoulder pain associated with any neck pain?
  • Does your job or hobby aggravate your shoulder pain?
What to expect from your doctor
Your doctor is likely to ask you a number of questions. Being ready to answer them may reserve time to go over any points you want to spend more time on. Your doctor may ask:

• Where exactly is the pain located?
  • How severe is your pain?
  • What movements and activities aggravate or relieve your shoulder pain?
  • Do you have any weakness or numbness in your arm?
By Mayo Clinic Staff
Rotator cuff injury care at Mayo Clinic

Symptoms & causesDoctors & departments
Aug. 12, 2017
Print
Share on: FacebookTwitter
References
Related

Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota, and Mayo Clinic in Phoenix/Scottsdale, Arizona, are ranked among the Best Hospitals for orthopedics by U.S. News & World Report.
Learn more about this top honor

Rotator cuff injury
Advertisement
Mayo Clinic does not endorse companies or products. Advertising revenue supports our not-for-profit mission.

Advertising & Sponsorship
Mayo Clinic Store
Check out these best-sellers and special offers on books and newsletters from Mayo Clinic.

https://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/tc/rotator-cuff-disorders-home-treatment#1

Rotator Cuff Disorders - Home Treatment

Home treatment is often the first treatment for a rotator cuff problem. Treatment can help relieve the discomfort and keep the problem from getting worse.

• Rest your injured shoulder, although gentle movement of the shoulder is recommended. Limit repetitive movement, and avoid strenuous activity and activities where your arms move above your head. Be sure to follow your doctor's advice on how long to limit movement. Most people don't rest long enough. The rest period for a rotator cuff disorder may be a couple of days to several weeks. During rest:
    • Avoid putting your arm in a sling. It is important that you don't keep your shoulder completely still (immobilized), because it can cause the joint to stiffen or can even lead to frozen shoulder.
    • Move your arm carefully through its full range of motion several times a day. Progress slowly to avoid injury.
  • Avoid activities or positions that cause discomfort, such as playing golf or tennis or carrying heavy bags of groceries. Stop any activity that hurts your shoulder.
  • Take nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) such as ibuprofen or naproxen to relieve pain. NSAIDs come in pills and in a cream that you rub over the sore area. Be safe with medicines. Read and follow all instructions on the label.

Hi guys,

What it could be and this is just one suggestion is your internal rotators which are the big muscles like the lats and the pecs are tight and they are overpowering the much smaller external rotators of the rotator cuff. You can strengthen the external rotators certainly but you'll get faster and more instant results from loosening up your internal rotators. Look up all the various lat and pec stretches, particularly pec minor. Currently the internal and external rotators are in a tug of war and the much stronger internal rotators will always win. Question for you. Can your raise your arm up straight by the side of your head, or is it someway off vertical?

Hi guys,

any injury can make a part of the body useless. Buddy Mcgirt was ruined by a shoulder injury, swore he had it under control but it was never right. a few years ago, i felt something in my shoulder giving when i was working on my jab, not being used to having problems, i just kept throwing, it was a ligament of some kind giving out under the strain, I lost power quickly but thought nothing of it but "hmm, that's wierd" fortunately i didn't do that much damage and the tendon eventually tightened back up. I could tell my shoulder joint was a bit looser, when i relaxed it seemed to fall out of socket a bit. Anyway, if could just be you don't know what you're doing, 4 months is nothing for a beginner, it took me at least a year or two before I had any jab at all, it is your non-dominant hand after all and it takes a lot of work to make it usefull in most cases.

Why are you asking people on a boxing message board, just do your own research online and just see another Doctor.Then ask him or her about this you don't know these people and you might make it worse.

How dare I come onto a forum and ask a boxing related question within the boxing category.

What it could be and this is just one suggestion is your internal rotators which are the big muscles like the lats and the pecs are tight and they are overpowering the much smaller external rotators of the rotator cuff. You can strengthen the external rotators certainly but you'll get faster and more instant results from loosening up your internal rotators. Look up all the various lat and pec stretches, particularly pec minor. Currently the internal and external rotators are in a tug of war and the much stronger internal rotators will always win. Question for you. Can your raise your arm up straight by the side of your head, or is it someway off vertical?

Funny you say that.. If my hand is at my side, palm facing forwards.. I feel some restriction towards the top, whereas my other arm is fine.

I think you'd feel pain before fatigue.

You might have answered yiur own question when you said you have only been boxing for four months. No offense, but your technique isn't on point yet.

Are you tense? Big part of it.

Do you arm punch? If you snap your shoulder and step into your jab, your whole body helps with the work (look at Jack Dempsey's falling step).

Is your stance "ergonomic" for boxing? Maybe shoulder is higher than it needs to be and you are just fatiguing it by holding it up. As a semi-related note: a fighter like George Groves has seemed to have fatigue issues dogging him throughout his career. Well, he bends so low with his legs into his stance that he's just burning energy doing nothing.

this is very true

Learn to relax in there, breathe properly, don't be tense, as well as your reaction times will be better if you are loosened up and gauging and judging the fight properly, so to does power come from being nice and relaxed aswell

just forget the jab and perfect your other punches, then compete in another sport where you can utilize your boxing technique but can scoot by with out a good jab. Then rise to the top of the port and develop a heel personality becoming a star. use that fame to call out a retired boxer and then make millions off said boxers name.

Yeah! I definitely feel like my shoulder has fatigued and I can't hold my arm up any longer. I'll look into that and try relax a bit more! Thanks for clearing the contact lenses thread up as well Jonny Ninja. Still couldn't find a definitive answer on google.

Cheers guys.

Boxing is a skill that takes a long time to get good at for most of us. Stiffness in the shoulders is absolutely natural for any new boxer, it’s mostly lack of proper technique. Of course you want to get to a decent level as quick as possible but I think you’re being too hard on yourself mate. You’re expectations are probably too high with only 4 months boxing. As long as you put in the hours I promise you you’ll improve enormously by the time you’ve been boxing a year. When you nail your technique your shoulders won’t be doing nearly as much work

Thanks guys. Every single thing makes perfect sense that you're saying. I am tense and maybe I am expecting too much, too quickly. Assuming this is just poor form, I'm happy with that and will continue grinding it out until it gets better.

tumblr_o346qlPhk21uofr2ko10_500.gif

weirddoll.gif

tumblr_meiy97qFRo1ro2d43.gif

picgifs-doctor-who-7585830.gif

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/rotator-cuff-injury/diagnosis-treatment/drc-20350231
Diagnosis

During the physical exam, your doctor will press on different parts of your shoulder and move your arm into different positions. He or she will also test the strength of the muscles around your shoulder and in your arms.

In some cases, he or she may recommend imaging tests, such as:

• X-rays. Although a rotator cuff tear won't show up on an X-ray, this test can visualize bone spurs or other potential causes for your pain — such as arthritis.
  • Ultrasound. This type of test uses sound waves to produce images of structures within your body, particularly soft tissues such as muscles and tendons. It allows dynamic testing, assessing the structures of your shoulder as they move. It also allows a quick comparison between the affected shoulder and the healthy shoulder.
  • Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). This technology uses radio waves and a strong magnet. The images obtained display all structures of the shoulder in great detail. The quality of the images depends greatly on the quality of the equipment used.
ortho-rotator-cuff-mri-8col.ashx

MRI of torn rotator cuff

Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) can reveal the existence and severity of rotator cuff tears.

Treatment
Conservative treatments — such as rest, ice and physical therapy — sometimes are all that's needed to recover from a rotator cuff injury. If your injury is severe and involves a complete tear of the muscle or tendon, you might need surgery.

Injections
If conservative treatments haven't reduced your pain, your doctor might recommend a steroid injection into your shoulder joint, especially if the pain is interfering with your sleep, daily activities or exercise. While such shots are often helpful, they should be used judiciously, as they can contribute to weakening of the tendon.

Therapy
Physical therapy exercises can help restore flexibility and strength to your shoulder after a rotator cuff injury. Sometimes it is possible to eliminate pain and restore function without surgery.

Surgery
Many different types of surgeries are available for rotator cuff injuries, including arthroscopic tendon repair, open tendon repair, bone spur removal, tendon transfer and shoulder replacement.

• Arthroscopic rotator cuff repair
Arthroscopic tendon repair
In this procedure, surgeons insert a tiny camera (arthroscope) and tools through small incisions to reattach the torn tendon to the bone. Arthroscopic tendon repair can provide restoration of the patient's normal anatomy with a relatively pain-free procedure.

• Open repair of rotator cuff
Open tendon repair
In some situations, an open tendon repair may be a better option. In these types of surgeries, your surgeon works through a larger incision to reattach the damaged tendon to the bone. Open tendon repairs typically have a longer recovery time than that seen with more minimally invasive procedures done arthroscopically.

Bone spur removal
If an overgrowth of bone is irritating your rotator cuff, this excess bone can be removed and the damaged portion of the tendon can be smoothed. This procedure is often performed using arthroscopy, where a fiber-optic camera and special tools are inserted through tiny incisions.

Tendon transfer
If the torn tendon is too damaged to be reattached to the arm bone, surgeons may decide to use a nearby tendon as a replacement.

• Reverse shoulder replacement
Shoulder replacement
Massive rotator cuff injuries may require shoulder replacement surgery. To improve the artificial joint's stability, an innovative procedure (reverse shoulder arthroplasty) installs the ball part of the artificial joint onto the shoulder blade and the socket part onto the arm bone.

Home exercises after rotator cuff surgery
Clinical trials
Explore Mayo Clinic studies testing new treatments, interventions and tests as a means to prevent, detect, treat or manage this disease.

Lifestyle and home remedies
A minor injury often heals on its own, with proper care. If you think you've injured your rotator cuff, try these steps:

• Rest your shoulder. Stop doing what caused the pain and try to avoid painful movements. Limit heavy lifting or overhead activity until your shoulder pain subsides.
  • Apply ice and heat. Putting ice on your shoulder helps reduce inflammation and pain. Use a cold pack for 15 to 20 minutes every three or four hours. After a few days, when the pain and inflammation have improved, hot packs or a heating pad may help relax tightened and sore muscles.
  • Take pain relievers. Over-the-counter pain relievers such as ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin IB), naproxen sodium (Aleve) or acetaminophen (Tylenol, others) may be helpful.
Preparing for your appointment
You'll probably start by seeing your family doctor. If your injury is severe, you might be referred to an orthopedic surgeon. If you've been treated for a similar problem in the past, you may need to bring past records and imaging studies with you to your appointment.

What you can do
Before the appointment, you might want to write a list that answers the following questions:

• When did you first begin experiencing shoulder pain?
  • What movements and activities worsen your shoulder pain?
  • Have you ever injured your shoulder?
  • Have you experienced any symptoms in addition to shoulder pain?
  • Does the pain travel down your arm below your elbow?
  • Is the shoulder pain associated with any neck pain?
  • Does your job or hobby aggravate your shoulder pain?
What to expect from your doctor
Your doctor is likely to ask you a number of questions. Being ready to answer them may reserve time to go over any points you want to spend more time on. Your doctor may ask:

• Where exactly is the pain located?
  • How severe is your pain?
  • What movements and activities aggravate or relieve your shoulder pain?
  • Do you have any weakness or numbness in your arm?
By Mayo Clinic Staff
Rotator cuff injury care at Mayo Clinic

Symptoms & causesDoctors & departments
Aug. 12, 2017
Print
Share on: FacebookTwitter
References
Related

Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota, and Mayo Clinic in Phoenix/Scottsdale, Arizona, are ranked among the Best Hospitals for orthopedics by U.S. News & World Report.
Learn more about this top honor

Rotator cuff injury
Advertisement
Mayo Clinic does not endorse companies or products. Advertising revenue supports our not-for-profit mission.

Advertising & Sponsorship
Mayo Clinic Store
Check out these best-sellers and special offers on books and newsletters from Mayo Clinic.

https://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/tc/rotator-cuff-disorders-home-treatment#1

Rotator Cuff Disorders - Home Treatment

Home treatment is often the first treatment for a rotator cuff problem. Treatment can help relieve the discomfort and keep the problem from getting worse.

• Rest your injured shoulder, although gentle movement of the shoulder is recommended. Limit repetitive movement, and avoid strenuous activity and activities where your arms move above your head. Be sure to follow your doctor's advice on how long to limit movement. Most people don't rest long enough. The rest period for a rotator cuff disorder may be a couple of days to several weeks. During rest:
    • Avoid putting your arm in a sling. It is important that you don't keep your shoulder completely still (immobilized), because it can cause the joint to stiffen or can even lead to frozen shoulder.
    • Move your arm carefully through its full range of motion several times a day. Progress slowly to avoid injury.
  • Avoid activities or positions that cause discomfort, such as playing golf or tennis or carrying heavy bags of groceries. Stop any activity that hurts your shoulder.
  • Take nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) such as ibuprofen or naproxen to relieve pain. NSAIDs come in pills and in a cream that you rub over the sore area. Be safe with medicines. Read and follow all instructions on the label.

i always say that people shouldn't rely on someone on a forum, but.,, docs can be some real fucking quacks, they'll use any excuse to cut on someone. I stay the hell away from them as much as I can.

Back