Weapons and Tactics Fixer Upper Edition

Protectandserve

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
OK all, I know a bunch of you out there have old knives, guns, swords, etc. that are fixer uppers. I'm talking that gun with the beat up finish, dinged up stock that you got for cheap. Or that knife that has been thrown in a drawer and is rusting away that someone got.

So lets see some old things get new life. Not looking for perfect restorations (if you have those please share) more looking for taking something that was in rough shape and bringing it back up to usefulness.

I'll start. I had this knife since like senior year of HS. Bought it on a camping trip with my then girlfriend at some garage sale. Was told by the guy selling it that his dad carried it in Vietnam. It was in rough shape and I mostly bought it cause it was 5 bucks and I thought it was cool.

So here is what it looked like and what it ended with.
Le3oYvt.jpg

Blade and sheath were in need of major repair. Thing was falling apart.

kRc7vIp.jpg

WQ7dxhB.jpg

Both sides of the blade were dirty, scratched, rusted and pitted from neglect from previous owner.

FKcGGf1.jpg

After a few hours work with sand paper, some Linseed oil for the handle and the Ken Onion Blade Grinder I was able to bring it back to functionality. It went from being dull enough that you could likely have used it as a training knife to having a decent edge.

Got most the major scratches out but some were deep, as well as the pitting. All in all fun project. Now I just need to make a kydex sheath for it to replace the old one.

Very cool. If you feel up to it, you could restore or rebuild the handle.
Looking at the giant lug nut on the pommel, I'm guessing the handle is hollow to hold some survival items?
A cool idea might be to do a layer style handle like these:
maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Definitely not hollow. Its a peened over stick tang. Just can't see it from the pictures i posted. Its really roughly done for a production run knife too.

I want to try handle construction like thst on my next knife build though.

I was about to say that handle looks haggard as fuck for a production knife.

Back