Wearing mouthguard and cup for jiu jitsu?

I’ve chipped two teeth.

Wear a mouthguard.

Soon as I felt that gritty feeling, that sensation that a piece of my tooth was rolling around my mouth, I wore a mouthguard everytime.

My first day rolling at my current school our strongest guy upkicked me right on my upper set of teeth; it was one of those strikes that was so hard you start tonguing around your gums to make sure all your teeth are still there. I honestly think he woulda knocked out a tooth if I didn't have mine in.

The few times I forget my mouthguard I get paranoid about rolling. It's like not having a seatbelt. I probably won't get into a car crash but I just feel unwell without it.

Always have a mouth guard

I never wear a cup, as I heard it's more dangerous than anything. Those are good for impacts, like pucks, baseballs kicks or punches. But driving pressure like a knee that is putting pressure in your crotch, if the cup is not properly aligned it can cut off one your balls.

I should wear my ear guard more often, I did when my caulliflower ears were hurting bad, but now I don't feel them as much but I know that it's getting worse. I think it annoys me too much.

I never wore either but i got plenty of knees to the crotch over the years and pretty much all my teeth are chipped at one place or another, partially because of grappling. While it is a non-issue for me, i can see why it makes sense for less desensitized people.

I noticed how nobody in my jiu jitsu class wears mouthguards or headgear (I dont wear headgear but I have a mouthguard) and I was rolling with someone once and he told me no one in the class wears cups (except me) He said it just wasnt necessary and it often gets in the way and drives into peoples backs when I take their back.

I am just being unnecessarily cautious by wearing this protection? Is there some unwritten law in jiu jitsu classes about not wearing this because I havent been doing jiu jitsu for very long.

Thanks

I wear a cup and mouthguard. I've trained without them before. But I've taken too many nut shots and knees to the mouth so I stick with them. I try to be cautious with it because it can be used as a weapon during armbars, kneebars, and back mount.

definitely mouthguard

tried the cup but didn't last

Mouthguard yes when I remember, cup no.

A) It's illegal to wear in comps

B) Cups get used as weapons. Yes it sounds stupid as heck, but getting a arm cranked on a cup or something using their cup into the small of your back to get to your throat sucks. Notwithstanding that you've stuffed up a long time ago.

In my years of BJJ, I think I've only taken a stray shot to the nuts once in training.

people who hump their cup into the small of your back during drills are the same people who need neon faced during rolls.

Back