weight classes considered for next WBSS tournaments revealed, could have three tournaments

ironfist05

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/boxing/5605048/world-boxing-super-series-add-third-weight-class/

Looks like they're doing a lower weight class and an upper weight class tournament, then maybe a third:

“We’ll announce a lighter weight first; bantam, feather, lightweight, super-fly, we’re looking at those weights... They’re all talking about going to light-heavy as well. The light-heavies and, hey, [maybe] cruisers, again.”

I've also heard them tossing around the idea of super bantamweight (https://www.boxingscene.com/world-boxing-super-series-tackle-smaller-weights-2018--123722), and given that the WBSS previously considered 154, my guess is that's in the talks too.

Still, sounds like Bantamweight, lightweight and light heavyweight are the frontrunners.

Who do you guys see fighting in the potential brackets?

This WBSS was great soo I hope next one would be good too because I need inspiration for training

Probably hard to not only find a weight division with enough talent, but also one that has enough promoters that are on board with the tournament style since it locks up their fighter(s) for at least a year or so.

Superfly seems to already have its own defacto tournament happening, but something like featherweight or SFW would be good. LHW sounds good too. MW would actually be the best, but you won't get some of those promoters on board. I can already see problems there. There should have already been good fights there (BJS vs GGG, Charlo vs Jacobs, etc.) so I just don't see it being feasible at MW. SFW LHW maybe even LW would be neat.

also, interesting to see that Benavidez, Anthony Dirrell, and DeGale all turned down slots in this tournament (albeit DeGale was injured)

On paper the format is interesting, but I'd say that so far we were rather lucky to see the CW tournament unfold without injuries ruining it. I expect them to happen more frequently if WBSS were to keep on implementing these 8-men tournaments.

On paper the format is interesting, but I'd say that so far we were rather lucky to see the CW tournament unfold without injuries ruining it. I expect them to happen more frequently if WBSS were to keep on implementing these 8-men tournaments.
probably, but still, I think it's worht it. As long as we have one or two titlists and maybe some good contenders and prospects, I think it would be a worthwhile investment, even if they don't get the absolute best the division has to offer. Particularly in a division like BW or LHW, which has a lot of talent.

http://www.boxingnewsonline.net/exclusive-the-future-of-the-world-boxing-super-series/

says here if they do BW they'll target Burnett, McDonell and Butler. If they do LW, they'll target Loma, Beltran, Linares, Campbell, Crolla and Burns.

interesting.

At LW I can't see Loma going for that, he's about to fight arguably the best fighter at LW. Then who is left for him to fight? I don't think he'll be want to be tied in to a tournament where he'd be a ridiculously massive favourite.

The CW tournie has been fckin brilliant. I’m looking forward to gassiev vs usyk possibly more than any other confirmed fight.
If de gale hadn’t been injured the smw tournie would’ve been better as well. Fair play to groves for being the only guy to put his belt on the line

Definately hope they do more but if you can’t get the buy in for at least 2 of the belts, what’s the point

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back