Weights for bjj

What are your current goals? Do you have a competition coming up? Right now I do bjj 4 times per week and the gym 2 times. It will shift throughout the year based on my goals. I'll do 3 bjj and 1 gym starting in september. I might stick with that for a couple months.

Current goals are getting stronger (adding mass) while getting better at bjj. I compete very infrequently, and actually have one coming up in a few days. But overall goal is to pack on more muscle while getting better..

Why can't you do 3 days of each? Too sore, tired, no time?

What's your weight training routine? You may have ridiculous amounts of unnecessary volume that makes you feel like you can't train more.

No time, busy work schedule juggled with family life. For weights I focus on compound lifts, kettle bells, and few machine exercises (lat pulldowns), and pull ups.

If the need to drop because of time constraints or recovery?

Time mostly, recovery is also a factor. I need a day break between bjj sessions, and with current work schedule impossible to get in more than 4 sessions total a week. If i go to 5, it puts strain on both time and recovery..

It's going to be impossible with only 4 sessions a week between them to both gain a lot of muscle and get significantly better at BJJ. You can get *stronger* by lifting once a week (do a basic Starting Strength style workout focusing on the big lifts), but you really need volume for any hypertrophy to occur. Not to mention that BJJ itself can be a heavily aerobic activity which can steal some of your gains. I'd probably go 3x BJJ and 1x lifting with the near term goal of just continuing to gain strength.

All this assumes you're not using drugs. You can definitely add mass on that schedule if you are.

Solid advice. No way am I using drugs, not worth the side effects.

Back