Wet Shavers Of Mayberry v2.0

BEER

Platinum Member
Reaction score
First thread is at the limit and I'm pretty excited to be a part of the team.

Let's keep the ball rolling!

You have to add more water than you think is logical. You don't want the bigger bubbles or foam. You want a slick lather. It does take awhile to get the hang of it, that is for sure.

Also, most soaps have a different soap/water requirement. So switching soaps... Be prepared for a learning curve.

Proraso shave soap and Cella are easier to lather than most, but you still have to add water.

So how do you add water? It depends on how you build your lather. I face lather. I used to use a mug, but I prefer to face lather because it is easier to tell if it is wet enough, and it exfoliates better. So load the shave brush with a soaked shave soap, swirl the brush and count to 30 for a soft soap or 30-60 for a hard soap. You aren't looking for the foam build-up. You want the bristles to be loaded with soap. Take the brush to your wet face, and swirl it all over your whiskers. Work it in for several seconds. Dip the tip of the brush bristles in the hot water in your sink (Just the tip! :icon_chee), then swirl it on your face again. Dip again, swirl again, until you have a slick lather.

Your lather should last you for at least a 3-pass shave. If it feels dry on another pass, dip the tip of the brush in the water again and work the lather some more.

I've actually solved my lather problem since that post. I just add more water. I soak my soap with a bit of water while I'm in the shower while soaking my brush in a glass. My sink stopped doesn't work, so I have repurposed a perfectly shaped beer glass for water. I do use a bowl. I load the brush for a good 40 seconds or so [my mistake was buying a shitty 10 dollar synthetic brush; I'm vegan so I don't use animal hair, and didn't research better synthetics] and then start lathering in the bowl. After it starts to lather, I dip it in the water, and keep going. I do it about 3 times until the lather is a thick, yogurt consistency.

After, I basically lather further on my head. I brush it on, dip the brush in the water, and gently make circles. Works a charm. Completely different shave now.

How to get a blade to last longer? Dry it after you shave. Use a hair dryer or TP to dry the blade and razor. What dulls razor blades isn't cutting your beard or pubes, it is rust on the cutting edge.

I do though. I've even tried dipping it in rubbing alcohol like some people suggest.

I don't mind, though. For two reasons:

1) Blades are cheap as fuck. I could be using a new blade every single day and still save money over using cartridges.

2) I imagine it's better to work on your technique with sharp, new blades instead of focusing on how to work with fading blades.

My recommendations for a beginner razor (mild shave, from mildest to slightly more aggressive): 1. Edwin Jagger DE89. 2. Merkur HD/34C. 3. RazoRock Mission. The Jagger is mild, but capable of a great shave. There are different handles if you don't care for the typical EJ handle. The 34C has a great handle, nice and knurled. The Mission is more aggressive than the other 2, but still mild. It has an even better knurled handle.

I'm actually using a Merkur 34c. I love it so far, but don't have anything to compare it to. It came highly recommended [and here you are recommending it again].

Is the soap and brush really worth it? I've been wanting to try it, but I've been using Barbasol Foam with Aloe for my sensitive skin, and I always get a thick and consistent lather.

There are a few reasons:

Some of the chemicals in the canned stuff can dry out your skin, which can lead to a "too close" shave. That can end up with ingrown hairs and small nicks.

The scent: The canned stuff just doesn't smell nice, if it has a scent at all. The Proraso shave soap I'm using has a glorious Sandalwood scent that is subtle and delightful for hours after I shave. It's a really relaxing scent.

The hobby: A large portion of the community seems to be guys like me who are having fun. I wouldn't go through the trouble if it wasn't a good time. Even as a beginner, it feels more like a hobby than a chore. It's the more relaxing part of my day. Just taking an hour, taking a long hot shower, and then shaving my head. On top of that, there are so many products out there that you can try and have fun with.

If you prefer the canned stuff and are doing the wet-shaving thing specifically for cost-effectiveness and a closer shave, the canned stuff might be for you. But if it becomes more of a hobby, the shave soaps and creams seem like they're half the fun.

I traded one of the brushes I made in post #110 for two straight razors, a Schmachtenberg Bros. and a Wester Bros; both German made and pretty old, already honed.
Can someone please help me justify buying more gear (strop, etc) considering I have enough Astras and Platinums for my Gillette Slim for a year or two?

so I started a new routine - I bought this Remington clipper for like 20 bucks & use the foil shaver for the outline of my beard area & edges of my mouth. then after I we shave in one shot. no more working angles & bullshit with the flat end of the Fusion Proglide anymore.

frustration levels have dropped immensely as well as shaving time.

There are a few reasons:

Some of the chemicals in the canned stuff can dry out your skin, which can lead to a "too close" shave. That can end up with ingrown hairs and small nicks.

The scent: The canned stuff just doesn't smell nice, if it has a scent at all. The Proraso shave soap I'm using has a glorious Sandalwood scent that is subtle and delightful for hours after I shave. It's a really relaxing scent.

The hobby: A large portion of the community seems to be guys like me who are having fun. I wouldn't go through the trouble if it wasn't a good time. Even as a beginner, it feels more like a hobby than a chore. It's the more relaxing part of my day. Just taking an hour, taking a long hot shower, and then shaving my head. On top of that, there are so many products out there that you can try and have fun with.

If you prefer the canned stuff and are doing the wet-shaving thing specifically for cost-effectiveness and a closer shave, the canned stuff might be for you. But if it becomes more of a hobby, the shave soaps and creams seem like they're half the fun.

Thanks for the feedback. The only reason why I haven't bought a brush is mainly due to the fact that no local store in my area has one. I suppose I'll order one online somewhere. Any recommendations on a brush and soap?

Thanks for the feedback. The only reason why I haven't bought a brush is mainly due to the fact that no local store in my area has one. I suppose I'll order one online somewhere. Any recommendations on a brush and soap?

I have zero experience with anything other than my brush. Check out badgerandblade.com for tons of information from experienced users, though. Some guys in here have a ton of experience too.

But Proraso Red is fantastic and easy to lather.

And hell, if you'd like a middle ground, Proraso makes foam cans. I can't speak for whether or not they're decent, but they exist.

I'll second Proraso Red (or Green). Easy to lather, economical.

I'll second Proraso Red (or Green). Easy to lather, economical.

I use the green pre-shave, but I couldn't walk around after a shave smelling like menthol. Some people like it, but I couldn't deal with the scent. Sandalwood though.

Mah gawd. How did I now know about this scent before? I'm about to buy some motherfucking candles.

Amazon has lots of cheap decent ones. I got a tweezerman, it's alright.

Was looking through some old boxes in my basement and found this not too long ago. It was my grandfather's. It's a Gillette Slim Adjustable. I've cleaned it up and have been suing it for a while. I think it's an N4 1968. I saw the marks but didn't double check.

s5xysx.jpg

Last edited:
Hey BEER, check out truefit & hill sandalwood. It smells amazing.

Edit: so awesome! Nothing like finding your grandfathers razor! I wish i had such luck.

Last edited:
I actually found my great granddad's razor. I disinfected it with bleach and used it for a couple of months. The only problem was that it was neglected somewhere along the line, and it must have been bent. I could only use one side of the razor.

But it's amazing though. This razor is from the early 1900's and there I was using it in 2014. And I'm sure that my great granddad would have flipped a shit if he had known that the razor that he so casually purchased one day would stand the test of time and be used by his great grandson.

tgAHXCx.jpg

k3t3yfd.jpg

gRMVebO.jpg

That's so cool. I wish my Grandfather's hadn't broken a few years back.

@karate man, what's the date code (should be a letter and a number under the razor head). I can find out the exact year.

I read on some website that you shouldn't try the vintage razors until you've had some experience first.

For my next shave soap I'm trying Geo F. Trumper's stuff. I want to see if the high price tag is really worth it.

I read on some website that you shouldn't try the vintage razors until you've had some experience first.

Some of the vintage razors tend to be a bit more aggressive than modern, mild razors.

That's my understanding anyway.

I use the green pre-shave, but I couldn't walk around after a shave smelling like menthol. Some people like it, but I couldn't deal with the scent. Sandalwood though.

Mah gawd. How did I now know about this scent before? I'm about to buy some motherfucking candles.

Never tried a preshave. I do like how Proraso Green feels afterward, but to me its more a summer thing.

Love the sandalwood. I'd like to try Taylor of Old Bond Street's sandalwood at some point, too. I found a Crabtree and Evelyn store at a mall that was selling some sandalwood shave soap, but it was sickly sweet smelling--didn't like it. AoS was great, but at 50 bucks, I passed.

Never tried a preshave. I do like how Proraso Green feels afterward, but to me its more a summer thing.

Love the sandalwood. I'd like to try Taylor of Old Bond Street's sandalwood at some point, too. I found a Crabtree and Evelyn store at a mall that was selling some sandalwood shave soap, but it was sickly sweet smelling--didn't like it. AoS was great, but at 50 bucks, I passed.

AoS is a con-shop, imo.

It's so expensive, and I've never heard anyone rave about their products. The consensus seems to be "good, but there is a lot better for a lot cheaper". I'd like to try their products to come to my own conclusion, but the prices drive me away.

Edit: It also fucks me up that they sell 200 dollar handles for disposable cartridges.

Edit 2: Browsing their website, yeah... The prices are ridiculous. I saw the 50 dollar soap came with a wooden puck bowl. Steep, but I figured they were charging for the bowl. Then I saw the bowl was basically 20 dollars while the soap "refill" still costs 30 dollars.

Those prices are ridiculous.

Back