Wet Shavers Of Mayberry v2.0

@Cheese, thanks man. i spent over 3 years getting that stuff. I don't buy on Ebay, i just hunt in Antique shops.

@Adamant, i just rotate the whole collection.

I'm back bitches.

One of my least favorite parts of boot camp was waking up and having 5 minutes to piss, shave, and brush my teeth.

My face got so irritated from speed shaving with cartridge razors and gel.

What is the main difference between your DE89 and the slant?

The DE89 is a mild, straight bar razor. I have one and can get great shaves with it.

The Slant has the blade twisted slightly, which stiffens the blade. They are efficient shavers. I have been taking a break from my Merkur 37C slant after using it for a month. I never did get a shave with no weepers with the Slant. I used my Mission and had a blood-free shave, then I used my DE89 and got 2 BBS shaves in a row.

Since I last posted, I've bought 3 shave sticks (La Toja, Speick, and Palmolive) and 2 vintage Gillettes (and Old-type, and a New-type long comb). The Old gave me a near BBS shave on the first try. The New did not give me a great shave, but I didn't prep as much as usual either.

I do NOT like the old Gillette ball-end handles! They are a hollow brass tube with the ball-end and screw-end pressed into the ends of the tube. Luckily my DE89 and Mission handles fit the Old and New Gillettes.

The DE89 is a mild, straight bar razor. I have one and can get great shaves with it.

The Slant has the blade twisted slightly, which stiffens the blade. They are efficient shavers. I have been taking a break from my Merkur 37C slant after using it for a month. I never did get a shave with no weepers with the Slant. I used my Mission and had a blood-free shave, then I used my DE89 and got 2 BBS shaves in a row.

Since I last posted, I've bought 3 shave sticks (La Toja, Speick, and Palmolive) and 2 vintage Gillettes (and Old-type, and a New-type long comb). The Old gave me a near BBS shave on the first try. The New did not give me a great shave, but I didn't prep as much as usual either.

I do NOT like the old Gillette ball-end handles! They are a hollow brass tube with the ball-end and screw-end pressed into the ends of the tube. Luckily my DE89 and Mission handles fit the Old and New Gillettes.

Which shave stick performed best? I want to get one for travel.

About 3 weeks ago i walked in to the art of shaving store at the galleria. And i have to say that i really liked some of their products.

I sampled a few of them, and i was going to buy the beard oil, but unfortunately they didn't have the sandalwood scent. I did buy the sandalwood shaving cream, and for $25 the tub is a good size, and should last a very long time (at least a year).

The scent of the sandalwood is very nice, and it lathers so fast and even with a small dollop you end up with way too much lather. I'll definitely go back and buy more of their products.

Was shaving with my Merkur 33C and it seemed the handle had become slightly loose from the top. I guess it allowed the blade to show more but it was an incredible pass! Was unbelievably smooth and sharp! Anyone else mess around with the way they shave or?

Was shaving with my Merkur 33C and it seemed the handle had become slightly loose from the top. I guess it allowed the blade to show more but it was an incredible pass! Was unbelievably smooth and sharp! Anyone else mess around with the way they shave or?

i interchange the headplates with some of the three piece razors that i have. Some or milder, and some are more aggressive.

I got lucky at the antique shops this past weekend. I found this NOS (new old stock) Ever Ready brush from the 50's. Brand new, never used.

Not sure if I'll trade it for something else, sell it or use it.

I only have to shave once/twice a week right now :(

I finally got around to assembling the brush handles I posted about some time ago. I got brushes for Whipped Dog, and am currently experimenting with tung oil to seal them and a marine epoxy to finish them.

20150619_121216.jpg

A mix of cocobolo, balsamwood, zebrawood, and quira.

Edit: If anyone needs a tropical hardwood brush made with super badger, PM me!

Last edited:
Which shave stick performed best? I want to get one for travel.

All of these sticks are really good performers. The Speick stick kinda smells like old-man cologne, so I use it least. It is very good soap, I just don't care for the smell.

LaToja is great stuff. It smells great as well.

My favorite is the Palmolive stick. It smells nice and clean, and the performance is top-shelf. I think it lathers as easily and with awesome cushion and slide, very much like Tabac.

I was in Germany, and saw that Nivea makes a shaving cream in a tube. Has anyone ever tried it?

@MMA since 1993

I'm bringing this one up.

I'm getting into this, which razor do you recommend? I've read good things about the merkur HD and the Jagger de89, is it really different? Is there a better razor worth paying a bit more for a quality/functionality upgrade?

I will get an omega 49 brush and a red prorasso, to get this started.

Thanks a bunch

Red proraso is just amazing. And the merkur HD seems to be in par with the DE 89. Although, i will recommend to get a vintage gillette tech.

If you can't find one, i can sell you one, for way cheaper than both the 89 and merkur.

Red proraso is just amazing. And the merkur HD seems to be in par with the DE 89. Although, i will recommend to get a vintage gillette tech.

If you can't find one, i can sell you one, for way cheaper than both the 89 and merkur.

Thanks! Will do and will try to update with experiences

A lot has changed in the year since I last posted here. I now use Stirling shave soaps, almost exclusively. I still have some shave sticks, which I use 2-3 times a month. I still have some Tabac, too, but I'm saving it for the colder months.

Also, I use mostly GEM single-edge razors. The SE blades tend to be a higher quality than DE blades. For me the SE blades last slightly longer than DEs do. I use the PTFE coated stainless steel SE blades. I've struggled with poor blade quality in DEs. I thought it was technique, but it wasn't. A poor blade leaves me with a face full of weepers. I finally landed on Gillette Silver Blue blades as a DE blade that works consistently for me.

I used my Schick Injector for awhile, and had great results until I hit a bad sleeve of Chinese Schick blades. Again, I thought it was my technique, but the only thing that changed for me was a new blade/blades, not how I was using the razor. Then I went back to my GEM razors, and re-discovered comfortable, blood-free shaving again.

I still have a bunch of DE blades to use up, and I have decided that I will use my Feather Popular and Edwin Jagger DE89 to finish them off.

I stopped posting because I haven't bought anything new in like 2 years. Once I bout a thousand count box of Astra blades, and a big shipment freom west coast shaving or whatever it's called, I haven't needed anything new for quite a while. Shaving almost every day.

In May I bought the Van Der Hagen shave kit from Kroger. Not too expensive and my first foray into wet shaving and safety razors. I'm not a huge fan of shaving, in general, but I much prefer this method of shaving compared to the multi-razor, canned foam stuff most guys do these days.

Seeing the vintage and antique razors you guys have posted is pretty freaking cool, thanks for sharing.

Back