What are different types of KB fighting styles (tactics wise)

MadSquabbles500

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
What are the different types of KB fighting styles (tactics wise)?

I dont mean the different rulesets like MT, K-1, Pradal Seray, or FCK, Savate etc etc. I mean does KB(all rulesets) have an equivalent to infighter, slugger, brawler, outfighter etc, etc, or and equivalent to the Blackburn crouch, or the rope-a-dope,

In hands only boxing there are so many styles, and so many tactics. We discuss them and not just technique. In KB its seem all about the technique like punch, kick, and not the tactics, and all that happens inbetween. Examples of tactics include PBF/philly shell, or Roy Jones/showboating, Emanuel Augustus/dancing and prancing around, Migual cotto/straight ahead body shots, Manny Pacquiao/darting in and out flurrying etc, etc.

I guess Raymond Daniels is the KB equivalent of Roy Jones. Now maybe Roy Jones has more success, but his division lacked depth. Does KB have a Naseem Hamed equivalent?

Does KB outside of MT have an infighting style?

Last edited:
What are the different types of KB fighting styles (tactics wise)?

I dont mean the different rulesets like MT, K-1, Pradal Seray, or FCK. I mean does KB(all rulesets) have an equivalent to infighter, slugger, brawler, outfighter etc, etc, or and equivalent to the Blackburn crouch, or the rope-a-dope,

In hands only boxing there are so many styles, and so many tactics. We discuss them and not just technique. In KB its seem all about the technique like punch, kick, and not the tactics, and all that happens inbetween. Examples of tactics include PBF/philly shell, or Roy Jones/showboating, Emanuel Augustus/dancing and prancing around, Migual cotto/straight ahead body shots, Manny Pacquiao/darting in and out flurrying etc, etc.

I guess Raymond Daniels is the KB equivalent of Roy Jones. Now maybe Roy Jones has more success, but his division lacked depth. Does KB have a Naseem Hamed equivalent?

Does KB outside of MT have an infighting style?

If you can consider Kyokushin as a form of KB, then that fits the bill, kinda.

If you can consider Kyokushin as a form of KB, then that fits the bill, kinda.

I think you misunderstood. I dont mean what are the different rulesets, but the different types of style as in like how boxing has infighters, outfighters, etc, etc or even more specific kinds of tactics like philly shell, black burn crouch etc, etc. These are not rulesets, but styles and tactics that can be used across rulesets.

Are hands only boxing and KB the same in this regard? If so, then who, or which KBer is what?

Of course there are different style, different tactics and strategies... Take Zambidis and Take Buakaw for example. Two clearly different styles, but both pressure fighters. You have kick-, box-, outside-, inside-, pressure-, counter- fighters...
You also have different stance. High guard, long guard etc. Also some have a clear influence from previous arts like TKD, or Karate, or Sanda...

Just for Muay Thai you have:
-Muay khao: Pressure inside/clinch fighter using mostly knees.
-Muay Mat: Pressure fighter using punches and lows. (AKA traitors)
-Muay Tae: Kicker.
-Muay Tie: Teeps.
-Muay Femeu: All round, most of the times outside fighter.
-Muay Sok: Technical fighter using a lot of Elbows.
-Muay Bplam: Likes to clinch.

Then you have some more general styles. For me Dutch KB is clearly a specific style, with classic combos like 1-2-3-low for example.

Last edited:
Of course there are different style, different tactics and strategies... Take Zambidis and Take Buakaw for example. Two clearly different styles, but both pressure fighters. You have kick, box, outside, inside, pressure, counter fighters...
You also have different stance. High guard, long guard etc. Also some have a clear influence from previous arts like TKD, or Karate, or Sanda...

-Muay Mat: Pressure fighter using punches and lows.

Then you have some more general styles. For me Dutch KB is clearly a specific style, with classic combos like 1-2-3-low for example.
thanks for breaking down the different muay thai styles. I have short arms and good kicks, so I'm trying to find a style to adapt to.

Of course there are different style, different tactics and strategies... Take Zambidis and Take Buakaw for example. Two clearly different styles, but both pressure fighters. You have kick-, box-, outside-, inside-, pressure-, counter- fighters...

-Muay Mat: Pressure fighter using punches and lows. (AKA traitors)

Basically Muay mat = Dutch kickerboxer?

I think you misunderstood. I dont mean what are the different rulesets, but the different types of style as in like how boxing has infighters, outfighters, etc, etc or even more specific kinds of tactics like philly shell, black burn crouch etc, etc. These are not rulesets, but styles and tactics that can be used across rulesets.

Are hands only boxing and KB the same in this regard? If so, then who, or which KBer is what?

He meant that Kyokushin fighters are the equivalent of in-fighters in KB

Basically Muay mat = Dutch kickerboxer?

There are some differences, since they have to fight within their rule set. Against clinch and elbow you will need some adaptation. For example a KBer will use longer combos from the start, whereas the Nak Muay will wait to hurt his opponent with fewer power shoots before unlashing a 6+ long combo. But he will constantly pressure to get there.

I also find that the dutch have a more fluid incorporation of the low inside the combos...

Of course, it also depend on the individuals. Inside those styles, there are other smaller classifications of type of fighters.

But you don't want to be one of those... They are seen as the scums of MT (by me), not worth the gamblers money... They should all go back to boxing or k-boxing with the other lesser "athletes", and having Rogan comment on their "great skills".

thanks for breaking down the different muay thai styles. I have short arms and good kicks, so I'm trying to find a style to adapt to.

Do you have long legs? Flexibility?
Whats your body type for your weight class? Skinny tall, average, short stocky?
Are you usually faster than your opponents, more powerful?
Are you good at absorbing damage? Calm under pressure?
What style do you enjoy? Inside pressure? outside counter?
How good are you with your front hand, leg?
Do you switch? Are you comfortable been in southpaw stance?
How good are your knees? Elbows?
What's your credit card number? The cvv? Expiring date?
Looking for the clinch, or try to avoid it?
Inside the clinch, do you look for strikes? Elbows or knees? Or do you look to unbalance him? Or maybe to stall to reset the fight?

Most important: Why do you train? Have fun or to become a pro?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ljae89
Back