What are the components that determine chin/durability?

UFCBlackbelt

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I've been trying to break down what makes up what we call "a good chin" and after analyzing several scientific studies and articles I am still, for the most part, stumped.

First and foremost, "chin" is certainly a multi-factorial makeup. I don't think it's as simple as saying "alertness"

* Anatomy: Size does play a significant role in your ability to take a shot. Of course, we have plenty of heavyweights who drop quite easily, but if you paired them against a Welterweight we would see a significant difference. Because concussions are usually caused by movement inside the skull, I don't believe that the thickness of a person's head contributes greatly to it, however a strong mandible and strong neck muscles probably play a role in reducing the whiplash caused by certain strikes. This whiplash targets a weaker part of the skull which increases the movement of the brain inside the skull.

Furthermore, it seems some athletes simply have more durable brains. As in the brain requires a larger amount of force to shut down inside the skull.

* Long term health: Because the brain is an organ that does not recover, its usually the case that anyone who has been dropped will likely be dropped again in the future. This is why as fighters gain experience and suffer damage, their chins tend to get weaker (see Gaetche, Chuck Liddell, Anderson Silva)

* Alertness/awareness/technique: This part is the more conscious effort by the fighter to reduce damage. Generally fighters well-versed in boxing or have great alertness generally can take a shot better than others. They tend to roll with their shots reducing the impact (and therefore whiplash) of the strike. This can be seen easily by how sucker punches are very effective, but punches against an alert opponent are significantly harder to knock out with.

Does anyone have further input? Remember that the topic is about durability, not recovery.

Building the muscles at and around the neck should help to keep the head from snapping back violently when struck, should also help. This seems to be a big problem for women.

Individual genetic differences in each athletes CNS which really cant be trained or improved upon.

If Big Nog decides to die one day hopefully we can crack him open and figure out what the hell was going on up there from 1976 to 2008.

I think its neck strength, head size. A KO if caused by your brain hitting your skull on impact and causing our brain to shut down.. (am I correct on this?) So it would make sense that dudes with huge heads would have more room before the brain hits the skull

People don't understand defense and reaction time are the single-most important aspects of a good chin. They equate "landing a punch" as if every punch is made equally.

Just looking for an excuse to post this gif..

xT0BKiwgIPGShJNi0g.gif

Roids definitely help. I've seen many of these supposedly iron-chinned guys turn real chinny when they tried to go clean.

I think its neck strength, head size. A KO if caused by your brain hitting your skull on impact and causing our brain to shut down.. (am I correct on this?) So it would make sense that dudes with huge heads would have more room before the brain hits the skull

If this was true, you could never KO Tito. He has the biggest head on the planet:
upload_2018-8-21_13-34-6.jpeg
images

Roids definitely help. I've seen many of these supposedly iron-chinned guys turn real chinny when they tried to go clean.
OMG, this all day long. I don't know why TS will not accept the simple fact that Humans chins ARE NOT designed to take direct impact well. PERIOD!

By MANY LIGHTYEARS various drugs/ PED combinations do 1,000,000 x times to (err, hmm Improve a chin or condition the brain for trauma! LMAO that there is training that can do a damn thing for a chin in comparison to the chemistry of today!

One component- Genetic Luck.

I've been trying to break down what makes up what we call "a good chin" and after analyzing several scientific studies and articles I am still, for the most part, stumped.

First and foremost, "chin" is certainly a multi-factorial makeup. I don't think it's as simple as saying "alertness"

* Anatomy: Size does play a significant role in your ability to take a shot. Of course, we have plenty of heavyweights who drop quite easily, but if you paired them against a Welterweight we would see a significant difference. Because concussions are usually caused by movement inside the skull, I don't believe that the thickness of a person's head contributes greatly to it, however a strong mandible and strong neck muscles probably play a role in reducing the whiplash caused by certain strikes. This whiplash targets a weaker part of the skull which increases the movement of the brain inside the skull.

Furthermore, it seems some athletes simply have more durable brains. As in the brain requires a larger amount of force to shut down inside the skull.

* Long term health: Because the brain is an organ that does not recover, its usually the case that anyone who has been dropped will likely be dropped again in the future. This is why as fighters gain experience and suffer damage, their chins tend to get weaker (see Gaetche, Chuck Liddell, Anderson Silva)

* Alertness/awareness/technique: This part is the more conscious effort by the fighter to reduce damage. Generally fighters well-versed in boxing or have great alertness generally can take a shot better than others. They tend to roll with their shots reducing the impact (and therefore whiplash) of the strike. This can be seen easily by how sucker punches are very effective, but punches against an alert opponent are significantly harder to knock out with.

Does anyone have further input? Remember that the topic is about durability, not recovery.

Practice. See below , no experience

upload_2018-8-21_13-53-42.gif

I got a gigantic head, never been knocked out, been knocked down a few times, fell in a pool skating, also not knocked out, landed right on my chin. My anecdotal experience

If this was true, you could never KO Tito. He has the biggest head on the planet:
View attachment 424529
images

But he hasnt ever been unconscious. He didnt really ever looked wobbled. He kinda just folds under pressure while getting his ass beat/

Like against chuck, lil nog and rashad. I think Tito probably has a great chin but he has a little bit of that Brock Lesnar syndrome..He just turtles up and takes his ass whooping from superior strikers.

People don't understand defense and reaction time are the single-most important aspects of a good chin. They equate "landing a punch" as if every punch is made equally.
+1 and the punch that hurts the most is the one you didn't see coming. that's why some sneaky punches that look weak KTFO a guy.

of course that's only one aspect. but a very important and oft overlooked one.

But he hasnt ever been unconscious. He didnt really ever looked wobbled. He kinda just folds under pressure while getting his ass beat/

Like against chuck, lil nog and rashad. I think Tito probably has a great chin but he has a little bit of that Brock Lesnar syndrome..He just turtles up and takes his ass whooping from superior strikers.

In hindsight - you may be correct. Never saw Tito go out (all the way out)

Back