What are you reading, non- fiction. Share the knowledge.

CauseImbetta

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Share the knowledge! I like leaning and getting ahead. I find fiction to be a waste of time.

I am reading and recommend highly:

Finance:
I will teach you to be rich. by Ramit Sethi
(Loved it and rearranged my finances for the better.)

History:
Sapiens by Noah Hariri
(Humans are the strangest animals.)

Chess:
My system by Aron Nimzowitsch
(A thinking man's game, must do).

Philosophy:

Atheism, the Case Against God by George H. Smith. 2016 publication.
(Wow)!!!

God is not Great by Christopher Hitchens
(Heavy read).

The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins
(Will change your life. Watch the YouTube documentary if you don't have time).

God the Most Unpleasant Character in all Fiction by Richard Dawkins.
(Lend this to annoying religious people)

The blind watchmaker, by Richard Dawkins.
(Long but will learn about evolution property).

A Manual for Creating Atheists by Peter Boghossian
(Lol, I lent this out and never got it back. Teaches how to talk to religious people and provide and intervention to tackle blind faith as you would with a drug addict).

Breaking the Spell: Religion as a Natural Phenomenon
Book by Daniel Dennett
(On the first page. Wow!! Puts blind faith into a shredder)

Foundational Flasehoods of Creationism by Armon Ra
(If you are interested in paleontology).

Science
Astrophysics for people in a Hurry by Neil DeGrasse Tyson
(Wow!!!!!!!!)

The big picture by Sean Carroll
( Science > everything else)

What do you recommend?

The Quaran
SmSB2Pt.jpg
[

The bible. Parts are non fiction. Like when the guy lives in the fish

The bible. Parts are non fiction. Like when the guy lives in the fish

You mean the parts that are not meant to be taken literally?

Share the knowledge! I like leaning and getting ahead. I find fiction to be a waste of time.

Finance:

History:
Sapiens by Noah Hariri

Chess:

Philosophy:

(Wow)!!!

(Heavy read).

(Lol, I lent this out and never got it back. Teaches how to talk to religious people and provide and intervention to tackle blind faith as you would with a drug addict).

Book by Daniel Dennett

Science
(Wow!!!!!!!!)

What do you recommend?

"You have to consider the possibility that God does not like you, never wanted you, in all probability he hates you. It's not the worst thing that could happen." - Tyler Durden

you are reading all of those right now?

i am reading 'tribe of mentors,' by tim ferriss. it is perfect for short windows of reading time, each 'chapter' is only a couple pages and consists of a short bio and interview with an exceptionally successful individual. it is essentially the spiritual sequel to 'tools of titans,' also by tim ferriss.

advice: read it.

i just finished 'how to do time like a spy,' by john kiriakou. kiriakou was the only guy to get prison time for the US torture (advanced interrogation techniques) in the middle east...for blowing the whistle.it was decent for the first 60ish%. then he got repetitive and spent too much time stating his case for prison reform and how antiquated the espionage laws are.

advice: skip it and find an interview with this guy, there are several on youtube.

and lol at finding fiction to be 'a waste of time.' legit studies have shown that those that read fiction are better at empathy, relating to people and seeing things from other perspectives. just saying.

Last edited:
you are reading all of those right now?

i am reading 'tribe of mentors,' by tim ferriss. it is perfect for short windows of reading time, each 'chapter' is only a couple pages and consists of a short bio and interview with an exceptionally successful individual. it is essentially the spiritual sequel to 'tools of titans,' also by tim ferriss.

advice: read it.

i just finished 'how to do time like a spy,' by john kiriakou. kiriakou was the only guy to get prison time for the US torture (advanced interrogation techniques) in the middle east...for blowing the whistle.it was decent for the first 60ish%. then he got repetitive and spent too much time stating his case for prison reform and how antiquated the espionage laws are.

advice: skip it and find an interview with this guy, there are several on youtube.

and lol at finding fiction to be 'a waste of time.' legit studies have shown that those that read fiction are better at empathy, relating to people and seeing things from other perspectives. just saying.

Thanks I'll check out tribe of mentors.

I don't have time for fiction. I'd rather spend it on how to invest my money or learn a skill.

I'm surrounded by fiction and try to get away from it. I tell myself how great I am (fiction) have a president who thinks he's he best (fiction) go to bed and dream about having a million dollars (fiction) and banging supermodels (more fiction). The truth sucks. That is why alcohol, religion and fiction books were invented.

Plus the truth is stranger than fiction. If you can master the truth, you will be a master of your environment.

Dead wake...it's about the sinking of the lusitania. Great read by same guy that wrote devil in the White city.

What every body is saying by Joe Navarro. I keep rereading it. It's about subtle clues we give off in body language.

A Confederacy of Dunces is not a waste of time.

(Heavy read).

I'm assuming you mean literally?

No offense but your reading list also belonged to this guy 10 years ago:

<Gordonhat>

(He's since been banned from the WR for alt-right shit-posting.)

I'm assuming you mean literally?

No offense but your reading list also belonged to this guy 10 years ago:

<Gordonhat>

(He's since been banned from the WR for alt-right shit-posting.)

I'm not sure I understand. Anyway, God is not Great is a heavy book in that it was written in a journalistic fashion and has extravagant vocabulary and complex analysis.

I'm not sure I understand. Anyway, God is not Great is a heavy book in that it was written in a journalistic fashion and has extravagant vocabulary and complex analysis.

It's a polemic, dawg. It's helpful in terms of sheer volume of documentation, but designed to be satisfying to those who agree with it already.

Breaking the Spell is vastly superior.

It's a polemic, dawg. It's helpful in terms of sheer volume of documentation, but designed to be satisfying to those who agree with it already.

Breaking the Spell is vastly superior.

Yes. Possibly. It's hard to deny Hitchens can give a good hitchslap. I watch hitchslaps on YouTube and laugh uncontrollably. I've only started breaking the spell so I can't compare. They are both part of the Atheist 4 horsemen so I am happy.(Harris, Dennett, Dawkins, Hitchens).

What atheist book do you recommend?

Yes. Possibly. It's hard to deny Hitchens can give a good hitchslap. I watch hitchslaps on YouTube and laugh uncontrollably. I've only started breaking the spell so I can't compare. They are both part of the Atheist 4 horsemen so I am happy.(Harris, Dennett, Dawkins, Hitchens).

What atheist book do you recommend?

Depends what you're looking for exactly - they all accomplish slightly different things. Breaking the Spell is the best introduction to a reasonable and un-rustled case against theism in my opinion, though Dennett's prose can be awkward. After that Michael Martin is my favourite (very technical) writer on the topic. Jerry Coyne's Faith vs. Fact came out a little later than the others so I find it's underrated too.

Didn't mean to sound like a dick with that first post, but you don't see much discussion about those books anymore since the public moved on to different conversations, so I thought I'd take the first snipe. If you become the first internet New Atheist to ever actually read them all you'll probably find in retrospect that Hitchen's was relatively digestible.

Finance:

History:
Sapiens by Noah Hariri

Chess:

Philosophy:

(Wow)!!!

(Heavy read).

Book by Daniel Dennett

Science
(Wow!!!!!!!!)

What do you recommend?

I recommend ignoring Dawkins, he is a fool.

Depends what you're looking for exactly - they all accomplish slightly different things. Breaking the Spell is the best introduction to a reasonable and un-rustled case against theism in my opinion, though Dennett's prose can be awkward. After that Michael Martin is my favourite (very technical) writer on the topic. Jerry Coyne's Faith vs. Fact came out a little later than the others so I find it's underrated too.

Didn't mean to sound like a dick with that first post, but you don't see much discussion about those books anymore since the public moved on to different conversations, so I thought I'd take the first snipe. If you become the first internet New Atheist to ever actually read them all you'll probably find in retrospect that Hitchen's was relatively digestible.

I'll check out Michael Martin. Never heard of him. Strange because I actively study atheism. Is he famous?

How has the public moved to different conversations? I try to follow. I joined the Atheist Republic and follow the trend. Also rogans podcasts are great too. I notice theists always argue the same shit. Then when they lose arguments they resort to the sample line: you need faith. I get to use what I learned in all these books to counter it. Timeless debates.

Back