What are you reading? Sci-fi/fantasy edition

I recently read "Children of Time" by Adrian Tchaikovsky. Best sci-fi I've read for quite a while.

I'm also working my way through a collection of the works of Arthur Machen. Loved "The White People" and especially "The Great God Pan".
Just read Spiderlight by Tchaikovsky. Was a fun little stand alone poking fun at fantasy cliches.

I'm reading 1st book in Axis of Time series. Its only okay so far.

All my favorite authors keep dying haven't read a book in about a year.

I only just got back into reading after prob two years of not reading a thing. Polished off like 5 books lately. No sci-fi or fantasy but I'll get back into that once I've finished my current batch

Just read a great new fantasy series called the Midnight Front, by New York times Bestseller David Mack. Its about magic users who are involved in ww2, and how the various governments try to control them. It was outstanding, Mix a grown up Harry potter meets James Bond meets Saving private Ryan. I think it has the potential to be the next big HBO type series.

9780765383198.jpg

This looks super interesting. Me and the wife don't typically read the same books, but it's always fun when we read the same thing and can discuss it. She's in a book club and most of the stuff they read is biography, period pieces, social commentary type stuff. More interesting/enlightening type stuff as they have found that just a fun read doesn't necessarily kick off good discussion afterwards. Where I tend to read more sci-fi/fantasy and books for pure enjoyment. She loves the Harry Potter books and anything that has to do with the WWI/WWII era, so this could be a perfect bridging book for us to read together.

Halfway through Peter Newman’sThe Malice and loving every page. This series is just a wonderful read.

I'm reading ''The Rook'' by Daniel O'Malley which is described as ''urban fantasy''. Digging it so far.

go on .....
Basically sci fi/fantasy similar-ish to WH40k but not on the same scale. Great pacing, fun characters, lots of good action.

First book is called The Vagrant

Basically sci fi/fantasy similar-ish to WH40k but not on the same scale. Great pacing, fun characters, lots of good action.

First book is called The Vagrant

Interesting. How adult oriented, gritty is it?

Just finished Dune. Ridiculous worldbuilding but I was a bit let down by the lack of suspense or tension.

Should I bother with rest of the series?
You have to read Dune Messiah. It's short, and pretty much the last chapter of Dune. Children of Dune sucks. I liked God Emperor of Dune a lot, but it's a little out-there.

just finnished dark matter, can't remember the author. Blake something. It was really good, a bit like the old shows sliders and quantum leap

Dunno if this counts but I read The Power by Naomi Alderman a while back. In spite of Margaret Atwood co-signing it (or maybe because of that) I was half-expecting SJW spec-fanfic.

But it was actually well-crafted, thought provoking and pretty chilling in places, while still managing to be a page-turner.

Witcher series.

Just finished the first book “the last wish” and started “sword of destiny”

The last wish was pretty awesome. Loved some of the small yet funny or depressing twists in it. Definitely not a common take on very common fantasy material.

This looks super interesting. Me and the wife don't typically read the same books, but it's always fun when we read the same thing and can discuss it. She's in a book club and most of the stuff they read is biography, period pieces, social commentary type stuff. More interesting/enlightening type stuff as they have found that just a fun read doesn't necessarily kick off good discussion afterwards. Where I tend to read more sci-fi/fantasy and books for pure enjoyment. She loves the Harry Potter books and anything that has to do with the WWI/WWII era, so this could be a perfect bridging book for us to read together.
David Mack the author, is pretty famous for his sci fi and franchise work, and has written some of the greatest Star Trek novel. He is a very in demand author, but he decided this year to focus on his own series he's been working on. The Dark arts books already have 4 books planned, and has been receiving some serious interest for the TV or movie rights. I think each book will jump a decade or so, so book one covers early ww2. I think book 2 may be at the very end of WW2 or even in the 1950s. I actually read the book, and enjoyed it so much, I bought the audio book to listen to while working.

The "Witcher" Saga by Andrzej Sapkowski. I love the Witcher games so checked them out. Finished 3 books so far and love them.

The books take place way before the Witcher games (even the very first Witcher game). If you played The Witcher 3 you will know many of the characters in the books and get a lot more backstory for them.

Here the books in chronological order:

The Last Wish (a bunch of short stories which I would recommend since they lay a good foundation)
Sword Of Destiny (Also short stories. Very important to understand relationships between certain characters)

Start of novels:
Blood Of Elves
Time Of Contempt
Baptism Of Fire
The Tower Of The Swallow
The Lady Of The Lake

On vacation with the family. Sat down and went through Ready Player One in two days. Not bad at all. Something that I wish that I had written. First time reading a book that wasn't a textbook of some sort in over ten years.

Back