What are you reading? Sci-fi/fantasy edition

Never heard of it. Can you ellororate?
Earth vs Mars(which is completely colonized) vs "Belters" (ppl who occupy the Belt of outer planets")
futuristic space adventure really well written and page turning appeal.

Earth vs Mars(which is completely colonized) vs "Belters" (ppl who occupy the Belt of outer planets")
futuristic space adventure really well written and page turning appeal.

Interesting ... I'm already cheering for the Belters!

just started this
peter-v-brett-painted-man-cover-demon-cycle.png

You will love it. The last book, the core, was a bit disappointing, but all the ones before were amazing.

Beware, he kills characters like it is GoT.

Just started three body problem looking forward to getting in to it from what I've heard on here. The authors voice and prose is a little different which I assume is because they're Chinese

127455._UX75_.jpg

I think I am really going to like this one. Only 30 pages in, but I already like the characters.

Top 20 on most epic fantasy lists.

127455._UX75_.jpg

I think I am really going to like this one. Only 30 pages in, but I already like the characters.

Top 20 on most epic fantasy lists.

I bought this, haven't started reading it yet but heard nothing but great things.

Just finished The Last Arugment of Kings, the last book in the First Law Trilogy.

61fZ2jSwGUL.SX316.SY316.jpg

Really fantastic book to end the series. It ended a little ubruptly and didn't quite get the closure I was expecting in an epic trilogy, but there was more than enough closure that I didn't feel like they left a giant hole. Bayaz was a straight up pimp in the end. I thought he was just an arrogant dick bag through the series, but he striaght up owned/played everyone that you have to give me all the props. My favorite character through the series was Glotka, so I loved that he essentially had the happiest ending of pretty much everyone.

The only thing that didn't quite live up to what was built was:

Unveiling that Tolomei had been with them from almost the begining to try and get The Seed. I knew something was wrong with Quai, but I thought maybe an Eater. When it was unveiled to be Tolomei, I was pretty jazzed, especially when she told them how long she had been with the group. But after essentialy being there since half way through the first book it wasn't even a major plot detail and felt overshadowed by the other major battles going on during that time. It did serve to prove how ruthelss Bayaz really was, since it was all speculation how she died up until that point, but it just didn't seem to get the attention that it deserved."

Going to start The Midnight Front from the suggestion in this thread. Really excited for this one to try to get the wife to read with me.

Also reading inferno. Fatherland sounds interesting might have to check that out. Was planning on switching to non fiction history for awhile after inferno. Mainly WW1 as i know very little about it currently

I'm fascinated by war history and to me the most interesting wars are WW1 and the American Civil War. Good luck finding something good in WW1. The war had such terrible conditions for the soldiers. Yeah more men died in WW2 but something about the trench fighting just came across as brutal and dark to me.

I am reading the Sci Fi classic Invasion of the Body Snatchers by Jack Finney. It’s really short but I haven’t had much time to read lately and I’ve been reading a chapter or 2 before bed every night.

I bought this, haven't started reading it yet but heard nothing but great things.

Just finished The Last Arugment of Kings, the last book in the First Law Trilogy.

61fZ2jSwGUL.SX316.SY316.jpg

Really fantastic book to end the series. It ended a little ubruptly and didn't quite get the closure I was expecting in an epic trilogy, but there was more than enough closure that I didn't feel like they left a giant hole. Bayaz was a straight up pimp in the end. I thought he was just an arrogant dick bag through the series, but he striaght up owned/played everyone that you have to give me all the props. My favorite character through the series was Glotka, so I loved that he essentially had the happiest ending of pretty much everyone.

The only thing that didn't quite live up to what was built was:

Unveiling that Tolomei had been with them from almost the begining to try and get The Seed. I knew something was wrong with Quai, but I thought maybe an Eater. When it was unveiled to be Tolomei, I was pretty jazzed, especially when she told them how long she had been with the group. But after essentialy being there since half way through the first book it wasn't even a major plot detail and felt overshadowed by the other major battles going on during that time. It did serve to prove how ruthelss Bayaz really was, since it was all speculation how she died up until that point, but it just didn't seem to get the attention that it deserved."

Going to start The Midnight Front from the suggestion in this thread. Really excited for this one to try to get the wife to read with me.

I'm a 100 pages in on Locke lamora, and it hasn't introduced anything fantasy yet. Waiting for that twist.

Finished up The Midnight Front.

34928724.jpg

Found it really interesting how they weaved the story of magicians in WWII in with historical events. Glad the recomendation came through in this thread and looking forward to the next book, The Iron Codex, but it won't be out until next December so there is some time to wait. They forshadowed some stuff I imagine the following novels will tackle, and lightly touched on the main characters gifts that I'm looking forward to reading more about.

I’ve finally started reading the Vlad Taltos books, which have been recommended to me by friends for years. They’re a delight. Protagonist is an affable, clever small business owner. The business is assassinations for a major crime family. He has a wise-cracking mini-dragon familiar because he’s a bit of a witch, too. Humans are second class citizens because the dominant race are 7-foot-tall sorcerous elves that have been genetically engineered by a race of 9-foot-tall psychic aliens to have traits of various fantastic animals - dragons, phoenixes, other unique creations of the author.

It’s like a fantasy acid trip.

Just Started Columbus Day, the first book in the Expeditionary Force series. It's been in my back log for a while, and hitting this one next while I wait for the next Dark Tower book.

51uPLRA21VL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I love the cover review:

"Outstanding"
-Vic, Amazon Customer

Boy! if that doesn't move a book, I don't know what will!

Currently reading the "Remembrance of Earth's Past" series
I think it's also known as the three body problem series.

Written by Liu Cixin. Amazing hard sci-fi in the spirit of Asimov

Just started Pratchett's Guards!Guards! Pretty sure I read it in my teens or at least some of the Discworld novels but the memory of which ones I've read have fallen out of my head

Back