What are you reading? Sci-fi/fantasy edition

Finished up The Blade Itself.

61QA2ffwWlL.jpg

Really enjoyed the book, found myself laughing out loud on more than one occasion. Loved Gloktas inner monolog and him always worrying about falling down or ending up dead in a river. Through the majority of the book I found myself wondering how Logen had made it as far as he did. He was certainly a capable warrior, with lots of battlefield smarts, but still took a lot of damage and seemed to end up on the lucky side of the coin on a few occasions that he could have easily ended up back in the mud. Then when all seemed lost and I thought Bayaz would come to save the day, The Bloody Nine took the drivers seat and he went beast mode, and it all made sense. I read that part 3 times it was so satisfying.

For the first book in a trilogy, I thought it would end with a little more resolution, but it seems to be written as one complete story rather than a large over arching story with 3 parts. I would have been pissed if would have had to wait on the follow up material, but I'm a little late to the part on this series so was able to pick up the rest of the trilogy and making my way into Before They Are Hanged.
I lol’d when I read this part.

Hurray', shouted Glokta. 'Porridge again!'He looked over at the motionless Practical. 'Porridge and honey, better than money, everything's funny, with porridge and honey!

His other trilogy was pretty good too. Half a king/war/world etc. The short story book is also fucking awesome. Sharp ends. Has some Glotka when he was young and a bunch of other characters. There's also a few with 2 new female characters which I liked.

Just read Kings of the Wyld which was similar in vein. Really enjoyed it. 2nd one is out soon.
haven't read the short stories one,not a fan of that sort of thing.

It's probably like the Neuromancer series in that respect. Though Mona Lisa Overdrive was also pretty good.

Call me an asshole but I always thought Mona Lisa Overdrive was the best book of the Sprawl trilogy, as good as Neuromancer is (Not a fan of Count Zero)

I lol’d when I read this part.

Hurray', shouted Glokta. 'Porridge again!'He looked over at the motionless Practical. 'Porridge and honey, better than money, everything's funny, with porridge and honey!

I've lol'd on more than a few occasions, most of them coming from Glokta's gems. My favorite line of his came so far out of left field I spit some coffee out in my lap. He was getting ready to torture Harker, so the mood was pretty grim because you knew he was going to get his answers.

Harker is in a panic says something along the lines of "I'll answer your questions!!", then Glokta replies "Excellent, answer me this then.... Why do men have nipples?". It was such a WTF moment and so out of the blue that I spit up some coffee. I donned on me before I started reading again that it was some brutal foreshadowing for Harker. I felt bad for him becuase he he was confused at the question and didn't realize what was in store.

Wife got this for me for Christmas, it’s a compilation of all three Dunk and Egg stories. I’m on the third one, and quite enjoying them. If GRRM never finishes ASOIAF I hope he’ll at least give us a couple more of these short stories before he kicks the bucket.

71ckcIKvDHL.jpg

The illustrations in this edition are good too.

the-hedge-knight-01-alomora64.jpg

They made a movie out of Fatherland that was decent, but it was straight to video. I wouldn't mind seeing it done again with a more substantial budget.

I was pretty disappointed with how the film turned out, it should have been better.

I share your hopes for a better attempt.

51TBvQufN6L._SX327_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Got so sucked into War Hammer 40k I forgot I had this on auto download...

I've lol'd on more than a few occasions, most of them coming from Glokta's gems. My favorite line of his came so far out of left field I spit some coffee out in my lap. He was getting ready to torture Harker, so the mood was pretty grim because you knew he was going to get his answers.

Harker is in a panic says something along the lines of "I'll answer your questions!!", then Glokta replies "Excellent, answer me this then.... Why do men have nipples?". It was such a WTF moment and so out of the blue that I spit up some coffee. I donned on me before I started reading again that it was some brutal foreshadowing for Harker. I felt bad for him becuase he he was confused at the question and didn't realize what was in store.
I will admit. I felt sad when Ferro was about to kill Practical Severard and he asked her who would care for his birds.

How? I mean........how? Geez.

I'm inn the sharpe series. Sharpes enemy. Also steve kings the shining

I took a few days off work to get some stuff done around the house while my wife was out of town...needless to say, she was not impressed with what I had accomplished.

My work is intense...I like easy light Sci Fi. I’m embarrassed but I’m reading I am Number 4 series. It’s light and fun.

Wife got this for me for Christmas, it’s a compilation of all three Dunk and Egg stories. I’m on the third one, and quite enjoying them. If GRRM never finishes ASOIAF I hope he’ll at least give us a couple more of these short stories before he kicks the bucket.

71ckcIKvDHL.jpg

The illustrations in this edition are good too.

the-hedge-knight-01-alomora64.jpg

I enjoyed this as well.

Just finished Dune. Ridiculous worldbuilding but I was a bit let down by the lack of suspense or tension.

Should I bother with rest of the series?

They get progressively worse as the series goes on and the weirdness goes off the scale. I gave up about 100 pages into the 5th.

Back