What did Frank Shamrock do that Ken Shamrock didn't?

Frank was super juicy, just like everyone else was back then. Be real son.

Maybe. But Frank has been very out spoken about Kens roid use and he wished that he never used them.

When asked if he knew any fighters who were taking steroids, Frank mentioned only Ken.

“My
brother Ken did them his whole life,” Frank told MMA Madness. “Why do
you think that his mind is so fried? Why do you think he crumbles
before the big fights? He’s got no psyche. He let steroids give him a
false sense of security and the moment that stuff is gone he’s no
longer superman. He’s just a regular man. But without all the hard work

He had more tools in his tool kit. Faster. Better balance.
Smart game plans.

Maybe. But Frank has been very out spoken about Kens roid use and he wished that he never used them.

When asked if he knew any fighters who were taking steroids, Frank mentioned only Ken.

“My
brother Ken did them his whole life,” Frank told MMA Madness. “Why do
you think that his mind is so fried? Why do you think he crumbles
before the big fights? He’s got no psyche. He let steroids give him a
false sense of security and the moment that stuff is gone he’s no
longer superman. He’s just a regular man. But without all the hard work
he really said that? wow

Not really relevant because both of them (Bas and Frank) were pretty green back then.
And it was under Pancrase bitch slapping rules.

Ken was much more experienced at that time.
Basically, Ken was the only super strong man who had a basic command of submission grappling.
Once everyone else learned a little bit about it, Ken really had no way of winning fights against decent opponents.
Ken would have gotten absolutely destroyed by the Bas or Frank that fought in the UFC.
Leg lock master. The way he got Bas in that knee bar was a thing of beauty.

Pancrase might have bitch slapping but Bas TKO'ed many people with that bitch slap to the liver.

Better cardio and defense, more well rounded, less shot when he fought Titio.

Yeah, according to Frank.

Cyborg is also very anti PED.

Yea but Frank always used his brother as an example why not to use roids. Seems like he saw what they did to Ken and thats what made him anti roids. Also he might have been on them in the beginning and discovered himself they were bad. He was very vocal about it right before his strikeforce era.

Yea but Frank always used his brother as an example why not to use roids. Seems like he saw what they did to Ken and thats what made him anti roids. Also he might have been on them in the beginning and discovered himself they were bad. He was very vocal about it right before his strikeforce era.

That’s what makes his rallying against roids funny. Look at his physique in the Baroni fight.

Roids aren’t the only PEDs, and not every steroid is the same.

It’s very naive thinking chicken, rice, milk and hard work will bridge the gap between an enhanced athlete vs a natural one. It’s downright silly.

Frank is still one of the GOATs, there’s no need for self righteous bullshit.

Frank was a real martial artist. Ken did some martial arts but was more interested in selling himself as a brand.

Frank - real

Ken - fake

Except this post is absolute bullshit.

Saying ken shamrock was fake lol. What a doofus

Ken Shamrock was way past his prime by the time he fought Tito. He was in his prime before he went to the WWE, then spent the rest of his prime in the WWE, and was a worn out athlete by the time he returned. The same thing could happen to Jon Jones if his suspension is for 4 years.

Edit: He'd had 37 total fights (including kickboxing, etc -- 35 in MMA alone), a pro wrestling career, and he was 38 just for the first Tito fight. For the last one, he was 42 years old and at 42 total fights.

Obviously pro wrestling is fake, but the grind of it is real and Ken was still in the era of headshots/steel chairs to the head/un-diagnosed concussions and other injuries.

Crazy thing is if Ken comes back in Pride in 2000, KO's Otsuka and completely retires and goes to coaching 100%, he'd be 24-5 and thought of as one of the best. He lingered on way too long and took too much damage.

Frank fought him when Frank was at his best and before Tito's peak

Ken fought him when Ken had declined and Tito was at his peak

Will someone please post the Bas Rutten gif?

This one?
OffensiveFoolishAlpinegoat-max-1mb.gif

Beat a Gracie?

A while back someone made a thread about how these days you don't see a whole lot of vicious ground pound finishes perhaps like back in the day, then it got me thinking.

When it comes to Ortiz vs Shamrock, most of you know how it ended, and it just puzzles me that Ken Shamrock is probably a better, stronger, less well rounded version of Lion's den product, but Ken Shamrock got his shit pushed in with Ortiz on top of him GNP, but Frank Shamrock didn't really get much damage.

If you watch the fight, it doesn't look like there's anything really different that they do...

Sherdog Holmes, get your little grey cells working

Well, for starters, Ken fought Tito at a different time. Tito was not he same fighter when he fought Frank, more experienced, more skilled, etc when he fought Ken...

Now, I am not saying Ken would have beaten the Tito that Frank did, but I feel it’s worth saying.

Also, I think Frank was a better technician, probably in better cardio shape and had a much higher fight IQ... Just my 2-cents..

Frank Shamrock was the first modern MMA fighter, who was not only well rounded, but also in incredible shape. It doesn't get any attention today, because every single fighter now does it, but when Frank did it he was being cutting edge. A true pioneer and a true legend!!

Ken wasn't well rounded and didn't do all of the things that Frank did. He was still a badass and is still a legend!

This dude was more complete b4 him...

Marco_Ruas_publicity_shot_crop.jpg

Well, for starters, Ken fought Tito at a different time. Tito was not he same fighter when he fought Frank, more experienced, more skilled, etc when he fought Ken...

Now, I am not saying Ken would have beaten the Tito that Frank did, but I feel it’s worth saying.

Also, I think Frank was a better technician, probably in better cardio shape and had a much higher fight IQ... Just my 2-cents..
Frank bein´a better technician is quite relative and a matter of perspective...

On a sidenote, one thing overlooked: Ken technically neutralized Beast´s wrestling [even though he was past his physical prime], and if u expected it b4 the fight, you´re a genius and MMA´s Bert Sugar.

More: people shit on Ken´s striking, but he dropped Kimo [ok, past his physical prime too, and with lingering injuries] with one single knee.

Back