What do i fill my punch bag with?

remilp

Orange Belt
Reaction score
hello, just got a new bag for christmas :icon_chee but its unfilled, and i dont realy know what to fill it with.

i heard i could use clothes or rolled news papers with sand baggs in the middle, but i realy have no idea.

so how do you suggest i fill it?

its a normal cylinder shaped bad, about 90cm long. its probably made of PVC i think.

Thanks.

I agree. Cloth scraps and rags. If you can shred them, even better. You can use rags and still get the bag to the proper weight without using sand. Just put a few inches of rags, then pack with a stick of some sort. Put a few more inches, then pack. My heavybag is filled that way and it weighs the 80lbs it's supposed to weigh.

I originally used bags of sand in between layers of cloth, but it kept settling and ending up like a rock in the bottom with the top almost empty.

I agree. Cloth scraps and rags. If you can shred them, even better. You can use rags and still get the bag to the proper weight without using sand. Just put a few inches of rags, then pack with a stick of some sort. Put a few more inches, then pack. My heavybag is filled that way and it weighs the 80lbs it's supposed to weigh.

I originally used bags of sand in between layers of cloth, but it kept settling and ending up like a rock in the bottom with the top almost empty.

And if you want the sand-like feeling, leather scraps FTW!!

an ideal mix would be 70% cloth and 20% leather

r if you need weight in it get a drainpipe,cut to size,have caps for either end,fill it with sand,let it settle,cap off and seal each end,place in centre of bag and wrap around it with clothes/rags etc..rolled old carpet is another way to go like Lawdog suggested.

Or from another thread,dead hobos.

a large dead hobo does the trick for me. but since u already have the empty bag, just use small dead hobo scraps, packed down as mentioned above.

Old clothes cut into strips. Every few inches, get in the bag and smash it down with your feet/body weight. Hang up, beat hell out of it for 2 weeks. Take down and fill it up some more because it will settle. You're done.

I was actually gonna start a thread about this....

The gym that I train at will be getting some Fairtex bags and we were trying to figure out what to fill the bags with....

Heard about the sand and cloth and mixing both together....

Did not know about the leather scraps....

Anybody have any suggestions where I can get large amounts of scrap leather? - specifically in Toronto?:redface:

Back