what do u think of my striking in this vid

shincheckin

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
hey guys, i posted this in the muay thai section, but no one seemed to interested.

I have been cross training at seuua daao muay thai lately. great gym, great coach, and learning alot.

check it out, this is the type of training you can expect there.

also, what do you think of my striking in the video?

hey guys, i posted this in the muay thai section, but no one seemed to interested.

I have been cross training at seuua daao muay thai lately. great gym, great coach, and learning alot.

Total can. You're like a day 1 amateur.

Just kidding
I didn't watch the vid

@j123

d609e22384ddd556414b27644053dea3--big-words-cool-words.jpg

<Moves><45><Lmaoo><Moves>

I would like to see some buakaw style front leg teeps bro. You have that dekkers thing down. I also enjoy your double round kicks.

Last edited:
I would like to see some buakaw style front leg teeps bro. You have that dekkers thing down. I also enjoy your double round kicks.

I went there again yesterday for some training and we were working just that! lol. its a good gym with a good coach. I will continue to train there as much as possible. what did you think of the kicks? by dekkers thing im guessing you mean my punches yeah?

From a roundhouse standpoint, I personally would prefer if you popped your heel so that your heel is facing in the direction of the target. Give you more extension on the kick and it also gives you more height without having to stretch your hamstring more.

I'd also second the call for more teep kicks.

The only other thing I'd say is I think you get a little stiff on the punches, I'd prefer it if I saw you shift your weight and your shoulders back and forth more on the punches, bringing the lead shoulder back more - at the moment it seems like you're making the power of the punches a more athletic endeavor than a technical one.

But these are all just minor things that I'd prefer - you'd still whoop ZemoKicks and that's the main thing!

your " EAUUUGGHHHHHHHHS!!" need alot more work

I'll comment on the hands. You get a solid amount of power, except the jab looks a bit half-assed, and the left hook can have more power if you pivot the front foot more. The right straight is good. You should bring the hand back faster. Sometimes you bounce your hands before throwing hands or kicks, though that could be intentional.

From a roundhouse standpoint, I personally would prefer if you popped your heel so that your heel is facing in the direction of the target. Give you more extension on the kick and it also gives you more height without having to stretch your hamstring more.

I'd also second the call for more teep kicks.

The only other thing I'd say is I think you get a little stiff on the punches, I'd prefer it if I saw you shift your weight and your shoulders back and forth more on the punches, bringing the lead shoulder back more - at the moment it seems like you're making the power of the punches a more athletic endeavor than a technical one.

But these are all just minor things that I'd prefer - you'd still whoop ZemoKicks and that's the main thing!

thanks ill give it a try, i was just watching jay matias training video yesterday, check the rotation on his kick!

I'll comment on the hands. You get a solid amount of power, except the jab looks a bit half-assed, and the left hook can have more power if you pivot the front foot more. The right straight is good. You should bring the hand back faster. Sometimes you bounce your hands before throwing hands or kicks, though that could be intentional.

good catch, yeah i do it, its not intentional, it can give away punching, it can also be a fake but your not the first to point it out. He has me working the palm down hook which is new for me, and difficult, i typically punch with palm facing me.

I went there again yesterday for some training and we were working just that! lol. its a good gym with a good coach. I will continue to train there as much as possible. what did you think of the kicks? by dekkers thing im guessing you mean my punches yeah?
I thought your kicks looked very good. I really enjoyed your switch kick which was fluid. I meant with the dekkers thing that you have heavy fast punches and a hard roundhouse. It would be cool to see you chain the kick immediately after those hard punches, even if it means punching a little lighter to put emphasis on the kick, like ernesto hoost. I've seen you leg kick without set up punches and land, which is more technically difficult imo, so setting up with punches will make the kick even harder to see coming imo if you do it both ways.

Disclaimer: I think you're a better nak muay than me, but I like to fancy myself as more of a fighter - coach with an eye for small details. Your meat and potatoes are all there, so my advice is mostly small tweak suggestions.

Lately in my own training I've been focusing on sharpening the economy of movement in strikes. I loved Sagat's emphasis on straight from the ribs elbows and punches, and tight angle kicks nearly coming straight up before turning over. From the video, I thought you had good pop and speed, but the angle and trajectory of the strikes could be a tad sharper. As you get more tired throughout a fight, the built in economy of your strikes will start to show then. It wasn't egregiously loopy, but the slight elbow flare makes the punches take a slightly less direct path. Same thing with your round house start up angle could be straighter before the hip turn. This is all personal preference, and of course we've seen great fighters with much more loopy punches and wider angle kicks still do well.

So if you notice your knee doesn't have the same kind of pop as your kick, I had a similar issue while at Chuwattana. My pad holder said that the arm swing for the knee and the kick is same same. And that helped me unlock my power in the knee a lot more. Of course fight application sometimes its better to have the hands up. I'll train a dramatic arm swing when working power on the pads, and then I'll do a bunch of knees in shadow where just my elbow drops violently like it'll be a kick-like arm swing, but the forearm portion stays up. Kind of like you're dropping your elbow down to protect from a body punch, but the fist itself doesn't leave too far from the face. Try it out and see what you think. I provided a link where you see Lana moon's dramatic arm swings at distance, and even when he frames with the arm the elbow dips a bit to facilitate the hip thrust. So while you do drop the elbow a bit on the knee, it could have a little more gusto for that knee to reaaaally start to do damage.

Last edited:

I assume you’re the bald guy? :D
Everything looks textbook, except some of the punches. Sometimes on a cross you don’t turn the foot well nor the body. Your lead hook could also imo use some work, and and try to keep your non-punching hand firmly on the cheek as opposed to leaving it to float to the side.

Disclaimer: I think you're a better nak muay than me, but I like to fancy myself as more of a fighter - coach with an eye for small details. Your meat and potatoes are all there, so my advice is mostly small tweak suggestions.

Lately in my own training I've been focusing on sharpening the economy of movement in strikes. I loved Sagat's emphasis on straight from the ribs elbows and punches, and tight angle kicks nearly coming straight up before turning over. From the video, I thought you had good pop and speed, but the angle and trajectory of the strikes could be a tad sharper. As you get more tired throughout a fight, the built in economy of your strikes will start to show then. It wasn't egregiously loopy, but the slight elbow flare makes the punches take a slightly less direct path. Same thing with your round house start up angle could be straighter before the hip turn. This is all personal preference, and of course we've seen great fighters with much more loopy punches and wider angle kicks still do well.

So if you notice your knee doesn't have the same kind of pop as your kick, I had a similar issue while at Chuwattana. My pad holder said that the arm swing for the knee and the kick is same same. And that helped me unlock my power in the knee a lot more. Of course fight application sometimes its better to have the hands up. I'll train a dramatic arm swing when working power on the pads, and then I'll do a bunch of knees in shadow where just my elbow drops violently like it'll be a kick-like arm swing, but the forearm portion stays up. Kind of like you're dropping your elbow down to protect from a body punch, but the fist itself doesn't leave too far from the face. Try it out and see what you think. I provided a link where you see Lana moon's dramatic arm swings at distance, and even when he frames with the arm the elbow dips a bit to facilitate the hip thrust. So while you do drop the elbow a bit on the knee, it could have a little more gusto for that knee to reaaaally start to do damage.

yeah i know exactly what you mean, i like to kick straight up then over, ever since my old coach left i switched gyms, new coach wants us to loop the kick arounds, so perhaps it has gotten a bit more loopy now, will remember to check myself next time on pads.

for the elbow out on the punch, he actually had me doing that on purpose, rather than elbow in like boixng style. Ill have to ask him about why he likes elbow out next time. its weird because boxing obviously has the better punches, and they punch with elbow in, but generally speaking, thais punch with elbow out.

he was teaching me a new type of knee but i agree and understand what you mean about swinging the arm and dropping the hand all the way down, vs swinging with it up. this knee he was showing me is like a long distance knee, that is thrown just like a kick like you were saying.

for the elbow out on the punch, he actually had me doing that on purpose, rather than elbow in like boixng style. Ill have to ask him about why he likes elbow out next time. its weird because boxing obviously has the better punches, and they punch with elbow in, but generally speaking, thais punch with elbow out.

This is just me guessing but I think the elbow out facilitates a better grab/entry for clinch, should they block or the punch end up not connecting.

Mechanically and telegraphically, elbow in all day.

This is just me guessing but I think the elbow out facilitates a better grab/entry for clinch, should they block or the punch end up not connecting.

Mechanically and telegraphically, elbow in all day.

i really dont know, but im sure im not the only person that notices thais punch with their elbows out. possibly like you said clinch, or maybe to follow up with an elbow.

nice crack to your kicks, but I'd prefer the hips to turn over more. Your hip and torso were facing too forward at the end of your kicks instead of rotated like this
muay-thai-kickboxing-and-boxing-kennett-square-chadds-ford-hockessin1.png

looks great, man! I get what the guys are saying about the way you punch, but it seems very coherent to your style overall... I mean, that is exactly how most of the thais punch. Of course, if your main weapon would be your punches you would like to put more hip flexion on it.

Kicks look powerful even without much rotation and I feel that this is also a matter of styles. You see, there's that famous video of Sam-A doing a bunch of kicks in I-don't-know-how-many-seconds almost vertically, and then theres Superlek always fully extending and rotating the kicking hip

Back