what do u think of my striking in this vid

Good video. I'd probably suggest more pivot of the foot of your supporting leg when kicking so that you can rotate your hip even more to generate even more power + maybe also try to kick faster and especially bring your leg back down to the floor faster - otherwise you could get into some bad habits and either get punished for it by getting your leg grabbed or your supporting leg kicked while you've got all your weight on it. You seem to generate good power but for some reason your kicks seem slow compared to your punches.

Obviously here I'm taking an extreme example of a legendary kicker, but look when he kicks at the angle of his foot (inside of the foot facing the opponent) and the angle of his hip. Also try to bring your leg back quicker the same way when you kick:

Last edited:
Good video. I'd probably suggest more pivot of the foot of your supporting leg when kicking so that you can rotate your hip even more to generate even more power + maybe also try to kick faster and especially bring your leg back down to the floor faster - otherwise you could get into some bad habits and either get punished for it by getting your leg grabbed or your supporting leg kicked while you've got all your weight on it. You seem to generate good power but for some reason your kicks seem slow compared to your punches.

Obviously here I'm taking an extreme example of a legendary kicker, but look when he kicks at the angle of his foot (inside of the foot facing the opponent) and the angle of his hip. Also try to bring your leg back quicker the same way when you kick:

good advice from not just you but everyone in the forum and much appreciated.

Some of the things you guys are telling me, I have been told before by my coach etc. However being able to actually change or fix them is more difficult than spotting the errors so I am still working on it. My left kick was way better than my R. My R kick has improved alot lately actually, i used to pivot on my R even less than I am now actually but I agree I could use more pivot, faster, and also bring it back faster.

Regarding punching, thais seem to punch differently, I think pivoting alot like a boxer would can open you up for kicks. However my thought is, its best to learn both, i cross train in boxing too. but yes, learn both, and use one or the other when the time is right.

check out this video and what they say about the pivot in the hook....im not trying to be like hey im right because like I said, IMO its best to learn and use both. I won my last fight primarily off boxing so yeah, but i need to improve and I have been searching youtube for some drills ;)

Looks like you've got some good power for the time you have been doing it. As someone with 16 years of Taekwondo experience but only about 1 year in Muay Thai. One of the things I notice is that your negative is a bit slow. Work on a fast negative/reset so you can be ready to instantly block counters or follow up.

Looks like you've got some good power for the time you have been doing it. As someone with 16 years of Taekwondo experience but only about 1 year in Muay Thai. One of the things I notice is that your negative is a bit slow. Work on a fast negative/reset so you can be ready to instantly block counters or follow up.

whats a negative? elaborate some more please

You kick pretty much exactly the same as my old mate, and he was a VERY heavy kicker. Couldn't ever stop thinking that if he pivoted a little more, or turned his hips more he would kick harder, but it worked for him!

whats a negative? elaborate some more please

Basically there's two motions to a punch or kick, the positive, ie extension towards the target to strike. And the negative, as the leg or punch comes back to your guard. If you look at new folk just starting in muay Thai or any art for that matter you'll see that they throw a kick or punch, but after impact the kick has impacted the target the kick has what I call hang time. Which can lead to you bring open to counters. I believe the negative to any movement is just as important as the positive

Basically there's two motions to a punch or kick, the positive, ie extension towards the target to strike. And the negative, as the leg or punch comes back to your guard. If you look at new folk just starting in muay Thai or any art for that matter you'll see that they throw a kick or punch, but after impact the kick has impacted the target the kick has what I call hang time. Which can lead to you bring open to counters. I believe the negative to any movement is just as important as the positive

ok got ya, yes makes perfect sense. I basically need to bring the kick back faster or reset faster.

You kick pretty much exactly the same as my old mate, and he was a VERY heavy kicker. Couldn't ever stop thinking that if he pivoted a little more, or turned his hips more he would kick harder, but it worked for him!

gonna have to try to pivot more next time i get on the pads.

so question to everyone, do you think pivoting more, will help or hinder me with the reset?

gonna have to try to pivot more next time i get on the pads.

so question to everyone, do you think pivoting more, will help or hinder me with the reset?

At first it will hinder your speed because you're focusing more on the hip rotation for maximum power and accuracy. But that's why we train to get faster and more powerful. Think of the statement high risk high reward. We technically could just snap our foot and tag the dude so quick he wouldn't even notice. But it wouldn't do any damage. So we stay planted, slow down, and hack at that leg like a cleaver. Higher risk, but high reward. Same with pivoting more. It's going to mean more distance you have to cover to reset obviously, but it's going to allow for more power, as well as it will put you off to the side more when you kick so that you're not standing vertical (easy for them to jab/cross counter during the kick)

At first it will hinder your speed because you're focusing more on the hip rotation for maximum power and accuracy. But that's why we train to get faster and more powerful. Think of the statement high risk high reward. We technically could just snap our foot and tag the dude so quick he wouldn't even notice. But it wouldn't do any damage. So we stay planted, slow down, and hack at that leg like a cleaver. Higher risk, but high reward. Same with pivoting more. It's going to mean more distance you have to cover to reset obviously, but it's going to allow for more power, as well as it will put you off to the side more when you kick so that you're not standing vertical (easy for them to jab/cross counter during the kick)

everyone please take a look at me in this video and tell me what you think of the pivot etc.

everyone please take a look at me in this video and tell me what you think of the pivot etc.

I see stiffness. Like you're stuck in goo

Your pivot is crap and you edited the video with shitty sound to make it sound like you hit harder. And posing with the ankle brace even though 99.99% of the populace doesn't need it

Even Zemokicks, and TRT Fitness hits harder than you.

Dana would never sign you

and you're a 5'2 manlet

just kidding.

But you're retracting back too much and ending up in a tight roped stance

Personally I stand with my back leg's heel elevated, I was taught this way and feel I can explode much faster than being flat footed. But thats a different style, if traditional works better for you then thats that.

also it looks like you're pre-pivoting. Thats a telegraph - Foot steps forward at an angle, I know only a kick is gonna come, no way a punch comes, and if it does it's gonna have no grit and weight behind it. I'm immediately gonna think about checking or parry.

But in this case it looks like you're just working kicks alone so you might get a pass there.

Also, my gym bag has more sq ft than that tiny gym
like-this-brick-for-no-reason-7896634.png

Some small details from me on your last clip.

-I find your pivot good enough.

-Your bring back your leg slowly. Basically, you let it hang it in the air, and let it drop on it's own. Don't consider the strike to be done once you hit the pads, but once your foot is back down.
If you notice in your first clip, when you double your kick, you reset it a lot faster. But it should be the same when it's a single kick. Don't let the leg just drop on it's own...You have to control and pull it back fast.

-Your left hand opens when you kick. (we all do it, but it's always nice to be reminded to glue it to the chin)

-Try some kicks without a step in. Just pivot from where you are. It make the strike a lot less telegraphed.

-Try to play with the angles a bit. Bigger motion to make the kick come in a 90° will help with the rotation and more hip into it (more power). And try some with a more upward movement for more speed.

Obviously you know how to kick, but since you asked for some feedback, that's what i got.

Last edited:
Another thing for your reset... You bring back your leg the same way it came, meaning with an arc, and extended... Try to bring it back in a more straight path back down.
A good exercise to control the reset, is to try to check with the same leg you just kicked before you step down. You will start to feel control over your leg while it comes back:

Watch Cyrus at the beginning of the clip how he bends the knee before resetting, while you keep it extended:

Personally I stand with my back leg's heel elevated, I was taught this way and feel I can explode much faster than being flat footed. But thats a different style, if traditional works better for you then thats that.

I don't think that's a problem. My back leg is heavy and flat footed too, while the front is light and on the toes. I don't feel that I loose speed or explosion that way. And it helps me with my checks and defensive front leg teeps.

I don't think that's a problem. My back leg is heavy and flat footed too, while the front is light and on the toes. I don't feel that I loose speed or explosion that way. And it helps me with my checks and defensive front leg teeps.
But in the end you don't find it takes "2 movements" for offense. 1) shift, 2) attack

I was taught that being forward heavy is that I can deploy attacks ASAP being "1 movement". My schools' a bit more dutch than traditional.

I'm open to other stuff if it works well though.

For sure though its definitely better on checking and teeps given the weight is on the rear.

thanks for the input guys, got some stuff to work on.

rear foot flat vs on ball. different gyms teach different things. my old coach taught me flat, the gym that hes currently at in thailand right now teaches rear foot on ball, and he has switched to that. Hes trained at several gyms in thailand. We discussed this topic. Rear foot flat is more of a defensive stance, on the ball is more offensive, but it opens you up to leg kicks a bit. I think there should be a time and place to use both, thats why now im trying to learn everything and use everything rather than just get stuck in one way. pros and cons to everything, but if you use the pro at the right time and avoid using it when its a con, than you got a win win situation.

But in the end you don't find it takes "2 movements" for offense. 1) shift, 2) attack

With some training you will find that you can "merge" the weight shifting on your front foot, while you attack. (raising your back leg) So in that way, there is no time lost. It's not a 1-2 tempo, but clearly a 1.
You use the pivot movement while your back leg is been deployed, to shift your balance forward.

And specially if you use a little step in, like most people do, it will replace the 1 in your example.
So it's then 1) step + shift 2) Attack.

It's a personal preference, and i've seen it taught both ways. But for me the benefits (from having the front leg light) are well worth the time spending in training shifting weight while kicking...
I love to use the front teep to disrupt my opponent, and the feeling of having a fast check gives me confidence.

Last edited:
@ARIZE

do you have any vids of you fighting, training, etc? I would like to see and get to know some of the regular guys on here. you seem knowledgeable etc so would be cool to see you training. same goes for the rest of the guys on here i talk with regularly. Everyone post up some vids!

@ARIZE

do you have any vids of you fighting, training, etc? I would like to see and get to know some of the regular guys on here. you seem knowledgeable etc so would be cool to see you training. same goes for the rest of the guys on here i talk with regularly. Everyone post up some vids!
I'm the first guy in the vid

thanks for the input guys, got some stuff to work on.

rear foot flat vs on ball. different gyms teach different things. my old coach taught me flat, the gym that hes currently at in thailand right now teaches rear foot on ball, and he has switched to that. Hes trained at several gyms in thailand. We discussed this topic. Rear foot flat is more of a defensive stance, on the ball is more offensive, but it opens you up to leg kicks a bit. I think there should be a time and place to use both, thats why now im trying to learn everything and use everything rather than just get stuck in one way. pros and cons to everything, but if you use the pro at the right time and avoid using it when its a con, than you got a win win situation.
I hear ya, I do use 2 stances and adjust it based on opponent, but just due to being in my usual stance so long, I end up reverting back to it for 80% of the rounds. Thats just out of habit and comfort.

Back