what do u think of my striking in this vid

yeah man I agree with you again.

your totally right, i see alot of guys rushing to go pro that shouldnt be. In reality, anyone can be pro, you can be 0-0 as a amatuer and jump straight to the pros. Doesnt mean your ready, or that you will do good, or that you really are a pro.......but hey your "pro". I guess theres a difference between a pro, and a legit pro, or someone thats actually qualified to be pro. I do feel, and i think i remember reading somewhere that socal is considered the muay thai hotpsot of the US. not that there arent great gyms in other states.

regarding pro/ammy muay thai vs pro/ammy mma.

I feel that the skill level in amatuer muay thai is much higher than the skill level compared to amateur mma. guys go pro in mma very fast. I actually had this same conversation with one of my mma buddies who has now had 3 pro mma fights, he only had 4 amatuer mma. He was saying the same thing and that people are pretty much like "dude why arent you pro yet".

or maybe another way to put it, would be the skill level, of the low level pros, isnt as high as one would think.......just because they are "pro"
I've always wanted to visit Cali, everytime I end up seeing pics and vids of it, its when I'm in the frozen wasteland so I end up envious of the weather. And the chickas are dimes as well.

The trend nowadays is to build a ammy record for exp. then reset it going pro. Its smarter anyways, people who jump straight in and lose to get exp. will have the blackspots on their record and it'll cost them career opportunities at times.

Being pro in combat sports isn't actually a tough feat., really you have to contact a promoter, promise to sell tickets, apply for the license, and you're good to go.

One reason they rush into pro mma is due to lack of equipment. Pro or ammy, they're both wearing 4oz gloves, a cup, and mouthpiece. Only difference is no elbows, and no knees to the head. Everything else is fair game. So the guys I've talked to said, brain trauma is brain trauma, so I might as well do it where it counts. I'm talking about your typical unified MMA rules which most people happen to compete under. There some smaller orgs have popped up with their own variants, but they're virtually unknown. I've seen orgs that have:
  • headgear + shinpads. Once it goes to the ground, no GnP, just grappling
  • -no headgear, but 12oz gloves + shinpads
  • -pro standard equipment, but not GnP

Its fairly normal in MT or boxing to have 12-20 fights before going pro, whereas in MMA thats an eternity, a teammate has 10 ammy fights and said its already too long for him, which surprised me since 10 fights is the right time, but not long at all.

It does make sense, when you look at MT there's gear all the way up until A-class where in the end only elbow pads stay, then open class you go full thai rules with nothing. Boxing has gear in the ammys (well up until recently that is when AIBA decided to do away with the headgear).

Skill Level
MMA by nature is a large crockpot, there's so much material to cover in little time, and it has to be tailored to everyone individually. Striker that needs grappling as defense aka sprawl and brawler, wrestler-boxer, BJJ expert, etc.
Whereas MT is more defined and not as diverse. But from what I've seen across the board, ammy MMA is very heavy on grappling prioritizing it over striking. Rarely do I come across a striker who can keep the fight on their feet for the duration of a round imposing their game. Most of the time, the striker kicks, get caught and taken down, and for the next 3 min they're on the ground doing what they do.

So to comment on the video. I like your jab a lot. Your fundamentals on it are a top notch. You have explosive hands, but cant see the same explosiveness when you kick. It looks like (not sure how it feels) that you do not kick strong. Or you do it intentionally? But anyway even if intentionally you do not add the same explosiveness in the kicks that you have in your hands.

Fundamentals are very good from what I can see in the video, but I am expecting that from a fighter :)

well personally I dont know how strong my kicks are, or if they are considered strong or not. My training partners tell me I kick very hard but I dont want to be all like yeahhh i kick hard bro!!! but one thing you mentioned, which i have been told before, is that my kicks are slow and I should work on kicking faster. For a very long time we worked on my kicks being powerfull, and were more focused on that. Now that I have good power I need to work on my speed. I need to kick faster for sure. Im not too sure how to work on kicking faster other than 1) maybe a few rounds focus on kicking as fast as possible 2) doing sets of 10 kicks in a row. any suggestions on drills to improve kicking speed?

No idea, man. I am not a fighter. But in general you can use drills to improve your individual speed in running and agility drills which soccer and american football players do with ladders in order to improve your general speed. But how to add speed in kicking - no idea.

Bro you look very smooth and strong. I think your technique in this video looks good. I hope we can someday meet up and train since we are not too far away from each other.

Bro you look very smooth and strong. I think your technique in this video looks good. I hope we can someday meet up and train since we are not too far away from each other.
tenor.gif

You're a Sherdogger, thats the equivalent of being 10 UFC fighters in 1

Hehe :) I am here mostly to learn. I only share stuff that I have been learning and have worked for me. No need to Dunning Kruger.

im definitely open to networking with guys through sherdog. The muay thai community is very small. just about everyone that competes knows eachother.

Good athlete. Would rip me up nice speed

im definitely open to networking with guys through sherdog. The muay thai community is very small. just about everyone that competes knows eachother.
Networking with people who are:
  • 6'5 300lbs 4% bodyfat
  • 10/10 aesthetics
  • bang boise dimes for 144h straight
  • 15" shlong
  • Benches teh 275
  • makes 500k while under 30
  • Could beat 5 UFC champs at once, but Dana be protecting his fighters
  • Giver of iPads

...are great people to network with. The top of society imo

Back