What do you carry for protection on a night out?

I carry this Spyderco Lava everyday...its got a small 1.5 inch blade. I use it for utility but it could do some damage in a desperate situation.

110p.jpg

I carry this 16 inch ASP after work at the club:

21E567J2GWL_SL500_AA280_.jpg

In almost five years of bouncing I have never had to use the ASP on anyone but its good to have it and not need it then need it and not have it.

I'd always prefer to use my hands, knees, elbows, feet first but I understand they ll only take you so far.

To bad I can't carry a pistol.

You sir are prepared. I like the knife, and that baton is awesome!

I can't stand the people who chime in just to put people down for carrying weapons for self protection.

Oh well, I rather be judged as the freak with a gun/knife/club than as a mall ninja who thinks he's Bruce Lee.

Criminals don't attack you one at a time like in the movies. Also I don't care how good you think your martial arts are because sooner or later your gonna get in a confrontation with someone stronger and more experienced than you and you're gonna get your head smashed in.

Personally I keep a knife or an asp baton on me when i'm out and the baseball bat and the 12 gauge are never far away when i'm home.

Do what you want with your life. Don't tell me what I can do with mine.

Hawkbill razor in the pocket, with a Jo in hand if I'm walking a lot of places. I play it off as a walking stick :p

Ruger LCP in a desantis nemesis pocket holster

or my service model XD45 in a galco concealable OWB

I've quickly come to the realization that no matter how good of a martial artist you are you're not gonna be able to take on a group of armed badguys. At least a gun and proper training with it will give me a sporting chance.

Some seriously paranoid trigger happy rednecks up in here. Thank god i don't live in USA.

2 hands and 2 legs is all anyone ever uses around here and even then it's a last resort.

Johnno must be a Canadian from the sound of it.. they like to let the front doors to their homes open, so they really know what it takes to be a smart citizen and protect themselves/their family.

Whatever happened to the good ol ass whoopin days where you get in a fight and the person who looses goes home with a black eye and a bruised ego? Nowdays the person who looses gets back up and shoots the other in the chest.

Thank fuck i dont live in the US. I would hate to ask a guy for directions and him thinking i'm about to rob him, and pop me one. Americans making the world fucked up one trigger happy hillbilly at a time.

Johnno must be a Canadian from the sound of it.. they like to let the front doors to their homes open, so they really know what it takes to be a smart citizen and protect themselves/their family.

The rest of the world isn't as fucked up as "the land of opportunites"

The rest of the world isn't as fucked up as "the land of opportunites"[/QUOTE]

Ohhh right, only the U.S has crime and violence.. I completely forgot about that fact. And which magical rainbow happy cloud village do you yield from?

Since people come from different backgrounds and different geographical areas their opinions on this differ.

But I believe everybody agrees that a person should be able to defend themselves correct?

If this is the case then does it matter what a person uses? Sword, gun, knife, hand, etc???

But I can see how some take it too far, but it also depends on their environment. Some people don

HA! Even the guy from SF gets it...

Tell me Johno, which do you prefer, a dead woman raped and strangled in an alley, or a dead rapist with a bullet in his head?

A gun is THE ONLY thing that can give someone lacking in physical stature the ability to defend themselves against a determined violent criminal. Give that criminal a gun and NO ONE without a gun stands a chance.

It's not about guns, it's about effective self-defense. A gun is by far the most effective self defense tool in the world. Until someone invents a stun gun that can completely incapacitate an attacker until police arrive, I'll keep my gun, thank you very much.

How can you embrace martial arts as a legitimate self-defense technique (the very idea of training martial arts means you've acknowledged the fact that there are bad, evil people out there intent on harming others who aren't concerned with laws) while simultaneously ignoring the most effective tool for it?

Also, just a few facts for you anti-gun types...

But I can see how some take it too far, but it also depends on their environment. Some people don’t live in the Canadian Suburbia where everybody is all fine and dandy.

<snip>

There are some bad places out there, some worse than others, but I would rather encourage people to see how bad things are in their area before they "arm" themselves as it might be overkill and not needed. There is no need to go out like Rambo if you live in a nice neighborhood with low crime, but you should not tell someone else not to protect themselves without knowing where they are from or what circumstances are involved.

You pretty much get it, but just to make sure you understand, violent crime can happen anywhere, and it does. I'm sure this guy thought he lived in a nice, safe neighborhood.

Doctor's Family Killed In Fire, Home Invasion - Connecticut News Story - WFSB Hartford

Unfortunately for him and his family, he wasn't prepared for the reality that crime can happen anywhere at any time. The choice is whether or not you want to be prepared for it.

Also, just FYI, you can carry openly (not concealed) in CA without a license as long as the gun is unloaded. (you can keep a loaded mag in your pocket)

You pretty much get it, but just to make sure you understand, violent crime can happen anywhere, and it does. I'm sure this guy thought he lived in a nice, safe neighborhood.

Doctor's Family Killed In Fire, Home Invasion - Connecticut News Story - WFSB Hartford

Unfortunately for him and his family, he wasn't prepared for the reality that crime can happen anywhere at any time. The choice is whether or not you want to be prepared for it.

Also, just FYI, you can carry openly (not concealed) in CA without a license as long as the gun is unloaded. (you can keep a loaded mag in your pocket)

True, crime can happen any time, anywhere. but it is more common in some areas therefore increasing your chances of being involved in one.

I am aware of that law, but it would not be useful in San Diego. I would have people calling the cops on me all the time, the cops wouldnt know how to deal with it and i would set myself up for being a target. That is the beauty of consealed carry, your just an every day joe.

I am aware of that law, but it would not be useful in San Diego. I would have people calling the cops on me all the time, the cops wouldnt know how to deal with it and i would set myself up for being a target. That is the beauty of consealed carry, your just an every day joe.

I here ya. I didn't notice you were in SD until after this post. Good call on not attempting to open carry there.

It's pretty pathetic how ignorant cops can be of the law. There are a few lawsuits pending here in PA over OC'rs getting arrested and harassed by ignorant cops. They've lost every one so far and there is recent litigation at the federal level in which a judge ruled that simple open carry of a firearm does not give RAS (reasonable, articulable suspicion) for police to make a "terry stop" or arrest. You'd think they'd get the picture eventually. OC'rs here in PA have taken to referring to a detainment over open carrying as winning the "gun lottery" because of how much money the courts have doled out because of these idiot cops.

It's pretty sad that law-abiding citizens continue to get harassed and arrested by overzealous cops for nothing more than exercising a right guaranteed by the same constitution they've all taken a solemn oath to uphold.

I here ya. I didn't notice you were in SD until after this post. Good call on not attempting to open carry there.

It's pretty pathetic how ignorant cops can be of the law. There are a few lawsuits pending here in PA over OC'rs getting arrested and harassed by ignorant cops. They've lost every one so far and there is recent litigation at the federal level in which a judge ruled that simple open carry of a firearm does not give RAS (reasonable, articulable suspicion) for police to make a "terry stop" or arrest. You'd think they'd get the picture eventually. OC'rs here in PA have taken to referring to a detainment over open carrying as winning the "gun lottery" because of how much money the courts have doled out because of these idiot cops.

It's pretty sad that law-abiding citizens continue to get harassed and arrested by overzealous cops for nothing more than exercising a right guaranteed by the same constitution they've all taken a solemn oath to uphold.

Ya, I dont agree with the law but I gotta obey it. A lot of cops out here are not familiar with firearms, they just assume badguy or that its not allowed. I have been harassed by a sheriff for shooting my CA legal SKS cause he thought it was an AK?!?!

First of all if anyone carried openly a gun in a holster....every cop in town would stop you and ask what the fuck you are doing....secondly you can not have a loaded mag on your person...it will get you a trip to jail real fast.....California has the shittiest gun laws in the country.

First of all if anyone carried openly a gun in a holster....every cop in town would stop you and ask what the fuck you are doing....secondly you can not have a loaded mag on your person...it will get you a trip to jail real fast.....California has the shittiest gun laws in the country.

umm... no.

It IS legal to carry a loaded mag on your person, there is case law precedence for this. See People vs Clark.

See PC 12031 for the appropriate criminal statute.

You may very well be harassed and even arrested by overzealous LEOs for carrying in this manner, but that does not change the law as it is written. If someone had the balls to do it, and the money to fight the bogus charges for as long as it took, they could very well end up with a nice civil suit settlement once the mess is over.

umm... no.

It IS legal to carry a loaded mag on your person, there is case law precedence for this. See People vs Clark.

See PC 12031 for the appropriate criminal statute.

You may very well be harassed and even arrested by overzealous LEOs for carrying in this manner, but that does not change the law as it is written. If someone had the balls to do it, and the money to fight the bogus charges for as long as it took, they could very well end up with a nice civil suit settlement once the mess is over.
Yeah thats the thing nobody wants to go through the hassle....I know I would not....I just carry a knife for now.

Open carrying seems like WAY too much hassle. I don't want people staring at me and calling the police every time I go out.

Back