What do you carry for protection on a night out?

As I mentioned in another thread, I carry a knife all the time, a Spyderco Endura. At night, I also carry a Fenix LD20 flashlight. If I walk to an from my car or I'm in a high risk environment, I put the flashlight in my front pocket, outside of its carrying case. Sometimes I carry a palm stick or a all stainless steel pen, especially when I'll be entering a place with good security screening at the front door. If its a high risk place at night, I can leave my knife at the front door but I usually get the palm stick or pen through the door.

But I never leave my house without something that can be a weapon when I need one.

My right and my left hand. I do my best to avoid any problems, but if push comes to shove, I know I can rely on them. Boozed or not.

Here is the problem with the American mentality of being safe. They think if we all carry weapons we will be safe. But what if nobody was able to carry weapons? or just no guns like in most normal 1st world countries. Of course people can still get them but its not easy and people are much safer in general.

Here is the problem with the American mentality of being safe. They think if we all carry weapons we will be safe. But what if nobody was able to carry weapons? or just no guns like in most normal 1st world countries. Of course people can still get them but its not easy and people are much safer in general.

:rolleyes:

You guys just don't get it... first of all, it is probably easier in most places to get a black market gun than it would be to go through the BS to get a gun legally. I know for a fact it's MUCH easier in NYC and most major cities to get a gun off the street than through a licensed dealer.

2nd, what's with this idea that if no one carried weapons everyone would be safer? Would a 95 yr old grandmother living alone in a high crime area be safer with, or without an effective means of self-defense? If you really think she'd be better off facing down a drugged-up, muscled group of thugs with harsh language than a gun you need a dose of reality, and quick.

You take away ALL weapons, and what you have left is a society ruled by the most ruthless and physically intimidating.

When you take away the citizenry's ability to defend themselves history has shown that what you almost ALWAYS end up with is tyranny and a nation of oppressed people.

Where do you draw the line? Why is it OK to defend yourself with martial arts but not weapons?

Guess what happened when they banned guns in the UK? In some parts of the country, gun-related crime actually INCREASED by over 40%. It also led to something like a 300% increase in STABBINGS. Next they banned knives... then cricket bats, to the point where the law now basically says any object used in an assault is now classified as a weapon. Gun control has been an absolute failure everywhere it's been tried for a very simple reason...

When you take away the means of law-abiding citizens to defend themselves, crime flourishes because criminals know for certain that their victims do not have the means or ability to fight back.

I, for one, choose not to be a victim.

As I mentioned in another thread, I carry a knife all the time, a Spyderco Endura. At night, I also carry a Fenix LD20 flashlight. If I walk to an from my car or I'm in a high risk environment, I put the flashlight in my front pocket, outside of its carrying case. Sometimes I carry a palm stick or a all stainless steel pen, especially when I'll be entering a place with good security screening at the front door. If its a high risk place at night, I can leave my knife at the front door but I usually get the palm stick or pen through the door.

But I never leave my house without something that can be a weapon when I need one.

little excessive? I am all about protecting your self, but how often have you used these weapons and why did you pick those? do you have any weapons training?

I just figured some pepper spray would work just as good if not better than any of those.

If no body carried guns or if they were never invented, people would still be using swords and shit. People are going to want to have or think they have an advantage over the other. That is the whole point of a weapon right, to give an armed person an advantage over an unarmed person. So if you have a society of unarmed people, I would think they would be more vulnerable right? In my opinion the gun is the modern day sword.

little excessive? I am all about protecting your self, but how often have you used these weapons and why did you pick those? do you have any weapons training?

I just figured some pepper spray would work just as good if not better than any of those.

No, I don't consider my EDC excessive. Compared to some guys I know, I don't carry a handgun.

Almost all of what I carry are all tools as well as weapons. The flashlight of course has its uses, so does the Spyderco Endura. The only item I might carry that is only useful as a weapon is the wooden palm stick. The pen has the same defensive function and has more uses, which is why I carry it more often than the palm stick.

I'm a FMA instructor, and I do train with these weapons. The knife is strictly for "oh shit, I'm about to die" moments, which I hope I never have to face. The rest are what I consider less than lethals: the flashlight and the palm stick are great impact weapons. I'm prepared to walk away from a confrontation if I can and deal with it empty handed if I have to, but I will always prefer to get to a weapon to tip the odds in my favor.

My selection is based on my training. I'm pretty sure my gross motor movements will easily blend with utilizing any of these tools. I'm sure pepper spray is effective, but for now I'm sticking to what's familiar to me.

No, I don't consider my EDC excessive. Compared to some guys I know, I don't carry a handgun.

Almost all of what I carry are all tools as well as weapons. The flashlight of course has its uses, so does the Spyderco Endura. The only item I might carry that is only useful as a weapon is the wooden palm stick. The pen has the same defensive function and has more uses, which is why I carry it more often than the palm stick.

I'm a FMA instructor, and I do train with these weapons. The knife is strictly for "oh shit, I'm about to die" moments, which I hope I never have to face. The rest are what I consider less than lethals: the flashlight and the palm stick are great impact weapons. I'm prepared to walk away from a confrontation if I can and deal with it empty handed if I have to, but I will always prefer to get to a weapon to tip the odds in my favor.

My selection is based on my training. I'm pretty sure my gross motor movements will easily blend with utilizing any of these tools. I'm sure pepper spray is effective, but for now I'm sticking to what's familiar to me.

Well I am glad to hear you train with the weapons you carry, thats a big thing for me. But do you actually carry all of these items on you at all times (pen, knife, palm stick, pen)? You dont wear one of those fanny packs do you?:redface:

I can see the everyday uses for them as well as the hidden uses :icon_twis and I have most all of those items in my truck (except the palm stick, i dont have one). I was mostly just curious to what people choose to carry as weapons and why.

Well I am glad to hear you train with the weapons you carry, thats a big thing for me. But do you actually carry all of these items on you at all times (pen, knife, palm stick, pen)? You dont wear one of those fanny packs do you?:redface:

I can see the everyday uses for them as well as the hidden uses :icon_twis and I have most all of those items in my truck (except the palm stick, i dont have one). I was mostly just curious to what people choose to carry as weapons and why.

LOL a student asked me the other day if she needs to start using a fanny pack if she wants to carry SD weapons.

On an average day, this is my edc:

front right pocket - Spyderco endura and my keys
right hip - cellphone in carry case
back right pocket - wallet (which i move to the front pocket when i enter a dense crowd)
rear left pocket - handkerchief (my Mom drilled it into my head to always have one LOL)
Front right pocket - Parker stainless steel pen

The palm stick is usually in the car and I swap it with the pen depending on my mood, but lately I've been carrying the pen more often. It has its uses. If I'll be out all day, I have the LD20 in the car and I put it on my belt behind my cellphone when it gets dark.

In the car I have a M21 with a partial serrated edge in the glove compartment, for emergencies like cutting myself out of the seatbelt in a crash. I have a collapsible baton in the driver's door pocket as well.

Never been in a situation to need anything and hope it stays that way, I go out to have a good time not to deal with retards trying to prove themselves.

Back