What do you do for lockout strength on the bench press?

deadshot138

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
I failed 405 today with 2 inches left before lock out. I thought the lockout was the easiest part of the lift. Do I need direct tricep work? Board presses? Please help my poverty bench.

Triceps and try pin presses. They helped my bench a ton.

pin presses and band work helped me. i noticed my biggest improvement in tricep strength from benching with bands. with the increasing resistance at the top i was able to build speed from the bottom upward to work through the increasing resistance. good luck man.

It’s unreal how the bar just wouldn’t fucking move with so little ROM left

I've never specifically trained lockout, but my advice would be CGBP and Board Presses.

pin presses and band work helped me. i noticed my biggest improvement in tricep strength from benching with bands. with the increasing resistance at the top i was able to build speed from the bottom upward to work through the increasing resistance. good luck man.

To kind of piggyback on to this post, I have two 50 lb resistance bands, sometimes I’ll wrap a kettlebell around each one by the handle and put the other end on the barbell. It helps your stability as well as your lockout because you really feel the resistance at the top.

Last edited:
It’s unreal how the bar just wouldn’t fucking move with so little ROM left
I have never had this issue at lockout (assuming we mean the last few inches) I’ve done lockout rom a few times and can comfortably do 545 for 2-3 reps

Where I fail hard is about six or seven inches off the chest. If it Moves at all there it goes. So either smooth as silk or nine hours at that spot with nothing happening. Confuses spotters becuase I crush my max effort and stop. Get the old you had twenty left in there remarks. No. No that was it.

I have never had this issue at lockout (assuming we mean the last few inches) I’ve done lockout rom a few times and can comfortably do 545 for 2-3 reps

Where I fail hard is about six or seven inches off the chest. If it Moves at all there it goes. So either smooth as silk or nine hours at that spot with nothing happening. Confuses spotters becuase I crush my max effort and stop. Get the old you had twenty left in there remarks. No. No that was it.
545 on the bench? Jesus. I may have made the mistake of doing too many warm up singles before the max effort lift. Also I jumped from the 390 I hit last week to 405 this week. I know with how far I pushed 405 that 395 would have probably been doable. Big jumps in weight don’t work for me on upper body lifts.

Prior to the failed lockout, was it something you really had to grind up? It could be that you got yourself out of position or just gassed yourself out.

545 on the bench? Jesus. I may have made the mistake of doing too many warm up singles before the max effort lift. Also I jumped from the 390 I hit last week to 405 this week. I know with how far I pushed 405 that 395 would have probably been doable. Big jumps in weight don’t work for me on upper body lifts.
Only like the last 2 pegs on a power rack for pin presses. Not the whole bench rom or even last half. It’s like a six inch range of motion. Don’t get too excited. It’s less impressive than it sounds

Only like the last 2 pegs on a power rack for pin presses. Not the whole bench rom or even last half. It’s like a six inch range of motion. Don’t get too excited. It’s less impressive than it sounds
Last sentences

That’s what she said

So like a rack pull above the knee

So like a rack pull above the knee
Basically
Just wanted to feel heavy weight. Was recommended to try different heights. So total rom was like 4 pegs on the shitty rack. My sticking point is at 3. So at 2 I can do 500 and 1 I can do 600. Those are estimates based on rep work I’ve done.

Nothing special

Well if you're playing with 405 you probably already know what you're doing, but for me what worked best for lockout was:

Band work with 50% of my 1RM. Off the chest would be ex: 135lbs and at the lockout 250lbs ish (depending on band color, I use red, yellow, purple or green).

That, and Floor Press / Board Press.

Well if you're playing with 405 you probably already know what you're doing, but for me what worked best for lockout was:

Band work with 50% of my 1RM. Off the chest would be ex: 135lbs and at the lockout 250lbs ish (depending on band color, I use red, yellow, purple or green).

I think short stroking my warm up reps has caused a muscular deficiency at the top of the rep. Gonna mess around with pin presses and bands and try 405 again in a couple weeks. 395 next week hopefully and 400 the following.

405 is legit. That fourth wheel feels good

Yeah a little under 405 is not poverty at all. The board press has good carryover for improving lockouts.

I failed 405 today with 2 inches left before lock out. I thought the lockout was the easiest part of the lift. Do I need direct tricep work? Board presses? Please help my poverty bench.

Triceps are smaller muscles and can produce less force. When you're weak and untrained, people tend to fail off the chest, but for trained people I see that they tend to fail on lockouts because they have already trained their chest to out-load the triceps.

Your best movement for training the bench press lockout is by doing bench press lockouts as an accessory movement. For that you can either bench press with a block on your chest or you can press off racks. But basically train lockouts where you only do the top part of the movement where the triceps take over and skip the chest movement.

Triceps are smaller muscles and can produce less force. When you're weak and untrained, people tend to fail off the chest, but for trained people I see that they tend to fail on lockouts because they have already trained their chest to out-load the triceps.

Your best movement for training the bench press lockout is by doing bench press lockouts as an accessory movement. For that you can either bench press with a block on your chest or you can press off racks. But basically train lockouts where you only do the top part of the movement where the triceps take over and skip the chest movement.
Ok cool, I’m doing JM presses too but rack presses seem to be what will be my bread and butter

Ok cool, I’m doing JM presses too but rack presses seem to be what will be my bread and butter

That's not a bad moment, but its not my choice because it doesn't have the same bar path as bench press. Yes that's nit picking, but it's the way i like to do it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back