What do you do for lockout strength on the bench press?

Triceps are smaller muscles and can produce less force. When you're weak and untrained, people tend to fail off the chest, but for trained people I see that they tend to fail on lockouts because they have already trained their chest to out-load the triceps.

Your best movement for training the bench press lockout is by doing bench press lockouts as an accessory movement. For that you can either bench press with a block on your chest or you can press off racks. But basically train lockouts where you only do the top part of the movement where the triceps take over and skip the chest movement.
Board presses are ok, but there are other options to train the lockout. Slingshot, chains, and bands also work very well.

That's not a bad moment, but its not my choice because it doesn't have the same bar path as bench press. Yes that's nit picking, but it's the way i like to do it.
You don't like JM presses, because they don't have the same bar path as the bench press? Ok...

Last edited:
Board presses are ok, but there are other options to train the lockout. Slingshot, chains, and bands also work very well.

Slingshot, chains and bands are ok, but board press works very well. Slingshot, chains and bands also force you to work the bottom end of the movement which takes away from effort into training the top portion of the lift. Increasing resistance is something better used for RFD than training the top end of the movement.

You don't like JM presses, because they don't have the same bar path as the bench press? Ok...

They don't have the same bar path. That's basic biomechanics.

Why are you always both wrong and a dick at the same time? Stay in the peanut gallery where you belong.

2 weeks of JM presses and pin presses and I hit 405 this morning.

Slingshot, chains and bands are ok, but board press works very well. Slingshot, chains and bands also force you to work the bottom end of the movement which takes away from effort into training the top portion of the lift. Increasing resistance is something better used for RFD than training the top end of the movement.

They don't have the same bar path. That's basic biomechanics.

Why are you always both wrong and a dick at the same time? Stay in the peanut gallery where you belong.
Not trying to mimic the bench bar path with the JMs, just adding some beef and strength to the back of my arms. They work quite well imo.

Back