What do you guys think of this?

GoldenAzazel

GM of PWD. 2020, 2022 PWD Poster of the Year
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Just found this video on YouTube and have never heard of the band before. It's definitely a fun way to get themselves noticed and I thought it was pretty cool to say the least.

Not my cup of tea.

I don't really get it. Whats so special about performing and recording while on facebook?

Not my cup of tea.

I don't really get it. Whats so special about performing and recording while on facebook?
Yeah, I don't think the song is amazing or anything, but I like aesthetic of it all. It was a really neat idea using the Facebook live delay and it's a smart little way to get people to notice you.

If you look at the view count in the video you'll see only 300 people were watching and now the YouTube video has almost 2 million views. It definitely caught peoples attention.

Yeah, I don't think the song is amazing or anything, but I like aesthetic of it all. It was a really neat idea using the Facebook live delay and it's a smart little way to get people to notice you.

If you look at the view count in the video you'll see only 300 people were watching and now the YouTube video has almost 2 million views. It definitely caught peoples attention.

Cool av, saw them on the weekend, what a band.

Cool av, saw them on the weekend, what a band.

Not to steal the thread or anything but.. explain the Mastadon thing to me. Personally I see/hear nothing at all special about them, never have. This isn't to talk shit about you liking them or whatever, and you aren't going to change my mind.. but if you wouldn't mind. Tell me what it is that makes them special to you as a listener.

I have this same problem with Tool -just don't see it myself. The Mastadon fan base reminds me of the Tool fan base in this sense. So I'm just curious if you guys have anything specific to say about Mastadon here.

I'm all eyes..

Not to steal the thread or anything but.. explain the Mastadon thing to me. Personally I see/hear nothing at all special about them, never have. This isn't to talk shit about you liking them or whatever, and you aren't going to change my mind.. but if you wouldn't mind. Tell me what it is that makes them special to you as a listener.

I have this same problem with Tool -just don't see it myself. The Mastadon fan base reminds me of the Tool fan base in this sense. So I'm just curious if you guys have anything specific to say about Mastadon here.

I'm all eyes..

I like the heavier riffy Mastodon stuff...Irontusk, Blood and Thunder, Curl of the Burl, Steambreather, Divinations, Oblivion, etc....

Old Tool is good, but it seems a bit self indulgent now and the fan boys seem to think they're intellectual elites for liking them

I'm all eyes..
Mastodon and Tool both suck, but that's just my personal taste.

I like a lot of shit that plenty of people hate, though. People just like different shit.

People just like different shit.

Yeah, I get this.

Was just wondering if they could pick out some specific things about them that draw them into their music. Some people of course, won't be able to explain it -and I get that too- which is why I'm asking for specific things if there are any for them.

To me, bands like Tool and Mastadon don't typically draw in the 'I dunno man, it just sounds cool' crowd -at least they don't strike me that way. I mean, I wouldn't ask (much less be in the thread) if they were Beyonce or Britney Spears fans.

Cute. I'm guessing most of their youtube fans are teenage girls (?)

Cute. I'm guessing most of their youtube fans are teenage girls (?)
Possibly. I actually found this from a guitar hero streamer that usually does metal songs and memes, but he came across this. I think they might have gotten a few different fans from that.

I just thought the video was pretty cool and it reminded me a little bit of the OK GO stuff.

I'm all eyes..

Well like someone said, people like different shit. But I think go and check out Crack the Skye, that album is the best for mine, their sound can be a bit different from album to album but that's a good representation of them. Their earlier stuff is heavier, their more recent stuff is basically prog rock. Prog is notorious for being hard for people to "get", you mention Tool and they are basically prog as well so it makes sense.

Mastodon are great, great musicians, their shit is quite technical. I realise this on its own is not enough to enjoy the band sometimes, but at least you can hear some great musicians doing their thing.

All of that said, there are a few things I don't like. Brann the drummer is a great player but I think he overplays a bit (common for prog), particularly overuses the snare, gets a bit irritating. Their vocals aren't the best either, they were always looking for a frontman but never found one so they kind of share. Troy (bass) is probably the best vocalist, Brent struggles I think particularly live, he has a weird nasal vocal which gets annoying.

But yeah check out Crack the Skye, maybe Blood and Thunder if you like it a bit heavier, but don't bother further if you don't like these albums, there's a whole shitload of good music out there, too much to waste time on stuff you don't like.

Back