What do you think if "An eye for an eye?"

not how it's practiced in Albania though. you get to kill their son if they kill yours, for example

Yea i don't agree with that or know how in the fuck they even came up with it. I mean wouldn't the logical thing be to get rid of the actual offender? "Nah he's got 2 more kids after we subtract his oldest"..:rolleyes:

What is your opinion An eye for an eye punishment? I think in several muslim countries, they practice this.

Do you think it's the fairest form of punishment?

Naw. I started watching that Netflix show The Confession Tapes.

If you don't know for a fact that this person did the crime, you're worse than them for punishing them for it.

Yea i don't agree with that or know how in the fuck they even came up with it. I mean wouldn't the logical thing be to get rid of the actual offender? "Nah he's got 2 more kids after we subtract his oldest"..:rolleyes:
it's messed up

It's the way stuff was done for thousands of years, and it was silly. It's one of the direct reasons Western Civilization has evolved into what it is, a system of objective laws and non retribution based punishment.

Lol, it's so much better now?

it's messed up

Fucken a right!

Not that I pretend to know a damn thing about their laws or even anything in general about their country, how long has this law been like this? Is this some draconian way of thinking that's just never been updated from years past?

Fucken a right!

Not that I pretend to know a damn thing about their laws or even anything in general about their country, how long has this law been like this? Is this some draconian way of thinking that's just never been updated from years past?
it's tied in with blood feuds, it almost never ends because there's always someone looking for revenge. this is the case in many mountain cultures. (Georgia, Chechnya, Dagestan, Albania...)

it's tied in with blood feuds, it almost never ends because there's always someone looking for revenge. this is the case in many mountain cultures. (Georgia, Chechnya, Dagestan, Albania...)

Truly sad for the innocent and the youth that were only guilty by relation. Hard to fathom even being able to think like that. I mean I usually think in terms of what if I was on the other side of this..

Depends on the nature of the crime. In certain circumstances yes, an eye for an eye is deserved.

In financial fraud, you get big businesses given tiny fines in comparison to how much money they made from whatever fraud/breach they committed. Fine them 100% and you might see companies change their behaviour, otherwise they have no 'incentive' to.

I also think those low-lifes that spray acid in people's faces (like the attacks that are now happeneing in London quite often) should be plunged into a vat of acid. I guess that's 2 eyes for an eye though.

The old testament laws/rules don't apply to Christian's because of the new covenant.

lol what? The old testament is part of the bible I've known/read. My church teache sbible stories from the old testament.

lol what? The old testament is part of the bible I've known/read. My church teache sbible stories from the old testament.
I never said they don't teach them. The new covenant is why Christian's can eat pork among the many other rules of old testament that don't apply.

We temper punishment with justice.

We take justice out of the hands of the individual to form a better society.

But it is societies responsibly to give the victims justice.

So to that end some people do shit that for justice to be served they should be locked up for life or in some cases forfeit their lives.

A sense of sadistic retaliation is an evolutionary advantage.
By evolutionary advantage I assume you mean that it makes individuals more fit to create offspring. That isn't really true these days, if it was true at any point. Vengeful, sadistic people tend to find themselves spending a lot of their prime breeding years in prison. It's probably a significant individual disadvantage.

What is your opinion An eye for an eye punishment? I think in several muslim countries, they practice this.

Morally fine.

Not reasonable way to legiferate.

full

Whitewashed

Whaddya do when a blind man pokes your eye out?

I think people misinterpret what "eye for an eye" means. It's really about the punishment fitting the crime, not about maiming someone.

Thats the Torah. In Islam its much more complicated and not necessarily eye for an eye. Family can pardon a murderer and agree on certain compensation all the way to eye for an eye for example. There are all sorts of extenuating circumstances to any crime as well a judge must rule on before judgement can be meet out. Basically Islam is not eye for an eye in practice in most places. You also can't take law into your own hands in Islam and must be adjudicated by third parties/state.

Back