what do you think

tekkenfan

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
is a mma skill that guys arnt using enough of today?

i think defense guys usually just hit pads look good on mitts then go out and stick chin straight up when guys come forward with overhands thats how rockhold got koed by yoel

so to me id say defense is pretty bad atm guys dont seem to know how to defend without big gloves as most guys practice only with 16 oz

kind of a bland answer, but i'll say the jab. and also that low/calf kick that people are starting to use more. it seems like getting kicked in the calf hobbles you quicker than thigh. makes sense bc it's smaller muscle, but i'm surprised it hasn't been used more.

and yeah defense in general. did you see the frank camacho vs geoff neal fight saturday? camacho was getting tagged, and just yelled and charged forwarrd, then ended up getting KO'd

The stand up last I was watching MMA was pretty bad. But I am a bit.elitist I would not watch even kick boxing and.MT because of.the bad footwork, defence and boxing. Kind of in love with the.technicality of boxing right now.

The stand up last I was watching MMA was pretty bad. But I am a bit.elitist I would not watch even kick boxing and.MT because of.the bad footwork, defence and boxing. Kind of in love with the.technicality of boxing right now.
im a pure boxer as well but u gotta realize when there are takedonws kicks it does take away from certain aspects of striking guys wont commit near as much due to ranges of takedowns ect

kind of a bland answer, but i'll say the jab. and also that low/calf kick that people are starting to use more. it seems like getting kicked in the calf hobbles you quicker than thigh. makes sense bc it's smaller muscle, but i'm surprised it hasn't been used more.

and yeah defense in general. did you see the frank camacho vs geoff neal fight saturday? camacho was getting tagged, and just yelled and charged forwarrd, then ended up getting KO'd
well nowadays everyone kicks the calf in 2009 at 18 a guy kicked me so hard in my calf i had to go to hospital it tore a tendon in my calf

Proper stance and efficient footwork. There's far too many fighters in MMA who use a poor stance for their fighting style and/or waste a ton of energy running around and bouncing all over the place.

Proper stance and efficient footwork. There's far too many fighters in MMA who use a poor stance for their fighting style and/or waste a ton of energy running around and bouncing all over the place.
this

i agr
i agree with bad movement guys only go back and forward they try to dance around at times to try to show that they have footwork but it isnt useful

stance u have to again realize with takedowns stances have to be modded to deal with takedowns having a wider base and lower stance is better i feel

anyone who practices something specifically, such as MT, Boxing, BJJ, so on and so forth, will look at most MMA fights and say their MT, Boxing, BJJ, so on and so forth is crap. The goal behind MMA is to be well rounded, so you see guys that are a "C" at everything compared to boxers who are "A" at punching.

as far as padwork goes, theres fight training padwork, and cardio type padwork hit the pads and look pretty, its the new fitness fad, you see people doing long elaborate combos, yet their technique is wrong from the very first punch, yet they are so ignorant, they dont know, and becuase they can do "said long combo" they think they are really doing something or that they can fight, when in reality they cannot. People are paying "coaches" to blow smoke up their ass with mitts.

compare how horrible this is, the womans 1-2 is ok, but theres multiple things wrong with the hook everytime she throws it, yet coach says nothing, same goes for the knee and kick. maybe learn to hook before you kick, and kick before you knee.

compared to a good coach like david breed, look how old this woman is, and although she doesnt fight, at least all her technique is correct.

take a look at this right here, its a total joke. I can assure you that she could get just as good of a workout learning properly, and just working the 1-2, but for the general public, if you try and do that and teach them correclty, they got bored and quit......they want to jump straight to "spinning crane kick" and more likely than not, this woman thinks she is actually learning something, self defense, probably tells her friends she boxes, and legitamtely thinks she can fight now.

im a pure boxer as well but u gotta realize when there are takedonws kicks it does take away from certain aspects of striking guys wont commit near as much due to ranges of takedowns ect
I am aware of that. But I am thinking there is plenty in boxing and MT that can translate better in MMA. I am in fact more loving to watch amateur spars, rather than pro boxing. And for example by watching Sinisters guys I think they can do pretty well in a MMA setting based on their correct fundamentals. Obviously they need to cross train MT and wrestling. But the fundamental of solid stance, good footwork, good defence is there. His guys look rock solid. I am sure.they will be hard to punch, take down and clinch with.

I do not see the same in pro MMA fighters. There are a lot of lame knock downs going down in MMA. People running forward with chin up... it is like watching myself box.

My ex kick boxing coach made a pretty decent MMA career based on solid boxing and kick boxing foundations. He cant wrestle for shit, yet he has only 2 loses and 7 wins as a pro and two titles as an ami.

Not downplaying the sport. But not a fan anymore based on very poor stand up fighting.

I have noticed a trend where fighters will spend more time standing up and fighting rather than wwrestling. And it is very freaking boring to watch that.

anyone who practices something specifically, such as MT, Boxing, BJJ, so on and so forth, will look at most MMA fights and say their MT, Boxing, BJJ, so on and so forth is crap. The goal behind MMA is to be well rounded, so you see guys that are a "C" at everything compared to boxers who are "A" at punching.

as far as padwork goes, theres fight training padwork, and cardio type padwork hit the pads and look pretty, its the new fitness fad, you see people doing long elaborate combos, yet their technique is wrong from the very first punch, yet they are so ignorant, they dont know, and becuase they can do "said long combo" they think they are really doing something or that they can fight, when in reality they cannot. People are paying "coaches" to blow smoke up their ass with mitts.

I respect you greatly. You are a fighter and.a.coach. but I will disagree with you again. Boxers do not look A at punching only. There is the solid stance, there is.the. footwork, the angles and etc. It is a sweet science and an art right now. It is a very well developed sport with multiple styles and different philosophies. While a sport like MMA is pretty new and is still based on a meta. With people not developing as solid foundation fighters but as meta fighters.

I respect you greatly. You are a fighter and.a.coach. but I will disagree with you again. Boxers do not look A at punching only. There is the solid stance, there is.the. footwork, the angles and etc. It is a sweet science and an art right now. It is a very well developed sport with multiple styles and different philosophies. While a sport like MMA is pretty new and is still based on a meta. With people not developing as solid foundation fighters but as meta fighters.

no worries dude, I get what your saying but were getting too technical. all that stuff is a part of boxing, it was kind of implied, obviously theres more to boxing than just punching, just like theres more to MT than just kicking. I should have said A at boxing rather than punching.

MMA fighters need to be well rounded, so they are generally a "C" at everything, where a boxer/MT/BJJ/Wrestler/etc. is an "A" at their sport. So they generally think MMA fighters are poor at their sport as they usually have not achieved as high a skill level because they have to train many different sports rather than just one.

whats meta?

no worries dude, I get what your saying but were getting too technical. all that stuff is a part of boxing, it was kind of implied, obviously theres more to boxing than just punching, just like theres more to MT than just kicking. I should have said A at boxing rather than punching.

MMA fighters need to be well rounded, so they are generally a "C" at everything, where a boxer/MT/BJJ/Wrestler/etc. is an "A" at their sport. So they generally think MMA fighters are poor at their sport as they usually have not achieved as high a skill level because they have to train many different sports rather than just one.

whats meta?

what do video games have to do with this?
Well the term meta is used mostly in video games. What I mean is that MMA still finds meta games and has no fundamentals. It was first BJJ meta when it started. Moved to a wrestling meta later. Nowadays it seems like a boxing meta. Still it does not have the fundamentals of how a well rounded MMA fighter should look like. Does not have a perfect stance and a guard, does not have answers to distance managing, shot selection, footwork in most fighters looks chaotic and I guess I am missing a lot from wrestling and ground perspective too. It feels like the sport goes trough different meta games, rather than building fundamentals. I am not sure how to explain myself better.

Well the term meta is used mostly in video games. What I mean is that MMA still finds meta games and has no fundamentals. It was first BJJ meta when it started. Moved to a wrestling meta later. Nowadays it seems like a boxing meta. Still it does not have the fundamentals of how a well rounded MMA fighter should look like. Does not have a perfect stance and a guard, does not have answers to distance managing, shot selection, footwork in most fighters looks chaotic and I guess I am missing a lot from wrestling and ground perspective too. It feels like the sport goes trough different meta games, rather than building fundamentals. I am not sure how to explain myself better.

i still dont know what meta means but yeah i agree with you that MMA still hasnt evolved to its "final form" yet. Given that its relatively new still and that we have yet to have a fighters that grew up doing the sport like thais for example, the majority if guys back in ken shamrock days even all the way up to current, have not trained MMA since childhood. The current youngsters that are growing up doing it now, will be the first generation when they are adults at their peak, I still think it will take maybe another 2 generations for it to reach its height in skill level.

This is my friends son, he is the first generation of kids growing up doing MMA like a Thai.

i still dont know what meta means but yeah i agree with you that MMA still hasnt evolved to its "final form" yet. Given that its relatively new still and that we have yet to have a fighters that grew up doing the sport like thais for example, the majority if guys back in ken shamrock days even all the way up to current, have not trained MMA since childhood. The current youngsters that are growing up doing it now, will be the first generation when they are adults at their peak, I still think it will take maybe another 2 generations for it to reach its height in skill level.

This is my friends son, he is the first generation of kids growing up doing MMA like a Thai.

Meta means most effective tactic available

Back